Handgunhunt

Freedom Arms question...

Posted By: Raptortrapper

Freedom Arms question... - 09/22/2011 12:55 AM

I don't suppose FA makes a .460 do they? I know its a S&W thing, but just checkin...
Posted By: KRal

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/22/2011 12:59 AM

No. They don't offer a stretched frame revolver.
Posted By: sixgunner454

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/22/2011 1:38 AM

OOOOHHHH, if they did....!!!
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/22/2011 1:52 AM

BFR does......

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/22/2011 6:13 PM

BFR??

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/22/2011 6:47 PM

Originally Posted By: raptortrapper
BFR??

Magnum Research makes BFR revolvers. Click on the link below:

http://www.magnumresearch.com/

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/22/2011 7:19 PM

WOW!! Their .460 is a sweet lookin piece!! Anyone have experience with the BFR guns from magnum research?

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/22/2011 7:40 PM

Many of us do. I have one in .500 JRH and it is exceedingly accurate.

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/22/2011 7:58 PM

I cant quit lookin at the Magnum Research .460 -- May have to get one of those!!!

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/22/2011 8:08 PM

I cant quit lookin at the Magnum Research .460 -- May have to get one of those!!!

Haha! They are nice revolvers. Best bang-for-the-buck in my opinion. I've never shot one that didn't shoot well.

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/22/2011 8:17 PM

Which ones have you shot? Do ya like it better than the S&W?

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/22/2011 8:29 PM

I've shot them in .45/70, .500 Smith & Wesson, .475 Linebaugh, .500 JRH, and a few others I believe..

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/22/2011 8:36 PM

Do you know how the BFR compares to the S&W?

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/22/2011 8:44 PM

Two entirely different platforms, the Smith is a large DA, while the BFR (also large) is a single action. They are both rather cumbersome in the .460 chambering as the cartridge is so big. Depends on what it is you are looking for and what you intend to do with it.

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/22/2011 8:56 PM

You may also want to check out Gary Reeder's web site. He is currently building a run of the stretched framed revolvers in you choice of caliber. Cost a little more than a BFR though, but it'll be a one of a kind.

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/22/2011 8:57 PM

I had a S&W 460 and loved it. Sold it though when I moved and got married. Now going to get another one. I absolutely love that caliber for hunting. I really enjoy the big bang factor too!! It will strictly be a deer, elk, and bear gun.

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/22/2011 8:58 PM

What is the website?

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/22/2011 9:09 PM

What is the website?

Gary Reeder custom guns.

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/22/2011 10:25 PM

But that stretched frame revolver won't house the .460. It's just too long. The case is 1.8-inches whereas the stretch frame revolver will accept a maximum (1.6-inch case) length cartridge.

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/22/2011 10:29 PM

Well that sucks!! So what would fit that is similar to the 460?

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/22/2011 10:31 PM

You can buy a standard framed BFR in .454 Casull, or a Freedom Arms Model 83 in .454. You don't need the stretched frame for that cartridge and it is plenty ofr anything North America has to offer or game anywhere else in the world for that matter.

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/23/2011 12:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Whitworth
But that stretched frame revolver won't house the .460. It's just too long. The case is 1.8-inches whereas the stretch frame revolver will accept a maximum (1.6-inch case) length cartridge.

I stand corrected...I don't own either one and just thought the 460 and 500 s&w's were the same length. I knew he was building 500 s&w's. Thanks for the FYI.

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/23/2011 12:19 AM

No problem! The .460 is freakishly long!
Posted By: tradmark

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/23/2011 6:46 PM

i wouldn't hesitate on the bfr, it's at least on par with the FA as the strongest revolver in the world and imho much stronger than the big smith's. touch of a top end load on that caliber with a ramped up 400 gr hardcast and you'll be glad it's got the mass it does but i agree with whitworth in that i'd just get the 454 bfr, it'll do anything the 460 will and has taken elephants with straight on brain shots. that said, get what floats your boat and i'd never turn ya from a 460 but the bfr has the barrel twist best for heavy hardcast in the 454 of any production pistol so it's a great buy.

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/23/2011 6:47 PM

did i mention they're accurate.
Posted By: Gary

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/23/2011 7:01 PM

The biggest problem for me with the bfr's is the plowhandle grip. I find them very unpleasant to shoot in anything over the 44 mag. the FA grip is a huge improvement in my opinion. I agree with the others that the bfr's definitely shoot well but their fit & finish isn't on par with the FA's, they are more like an overgrown Ruger. The 460 smith will be more pleasant to shoot but is really too big and heavy for my tastes.

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/23/2011 7:47 PM

yup, they're very nice for the price, i do not feel they would replace my FA imho.

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/24/2011 3:48 PM

Thanks guys. I have certainly learned a LOT from your thoughts and suggestions. However, I have decided I am gonna stay with the Smith and Wesson 460. I really enjoyed the ability to shoot THREE different callibers in one gun, and was really impressed with the first one I had. I certainly gave the BFR a good look, but I feel like I would be cheating on the Smith and Wesson if I got the BFR! :-) I guess its one of those "first love" deals. The S&W 460 was my first hunting handgun, and Ijust can't betray it.

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/24/2011 4:34 PM

Happy to help!
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/24/2011 4:55 PM

Quote:
THREE different callibers in one gun

Not to nit-pick, but they are all the same caliber, .452" ;-)
Posted By: wizzard

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/24/2011 6:58 PM

Raptor just make sure the gun you want is in stock, either at the store or distributor. S&W has back orders on quite a few guns right now and they're not in a hurry to fix it. I just cancelled an order I had on a 460 from their performance center since March, and actually went with a BFR in 45/70. FYI, it's nice, I picked it up yesterday.
\:\)
Posted By: junebug

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/25/2011 1:24 AM

Raptortrapper
This store has a 12 in .460 in stock ,KYGUNCO.com you may want to check out. My friend has one like it and it shoots real well with a 2.5x8 ? Burris. They are big though,and ugly.It was still in the showcase Friday.

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/25/2011 2:45 PM

No S4S4U, that would be the same DIAMETER. Would ya rather get shot with the .45 colt, or the .460? There IS a difference.

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/25/2011 2:57 PM

No S4S4U, that would be the same DIAMETER. Would ya rather get shot with the .45 colt, or the .460? There IS a difference.

The way I load them? The Colt definitely.
Posted By: KYODE

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/25/2011 3:53 PM

Quote:
Would ya rather get shot with the .45 colt, or the .460? There IS a difference.

no offense intended, but that is just a bit silly. you would NEVER even know the difference. dead is dead. people get stuck on the "bigger is better" thought process. but, that is just human nature. bigger trucks, bigger guns, bigger, bigger, bigger........

either way....you are a gonner.

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/25/2011 5:28 PM

Silly? Yes, but so is pointing out .452" isn't it?? Besides, if the person shooting is a bad shot, I'll take my chances with the .45 colt in a light load over the 460 any day!!
\:\)

I do agree with you that most people get caught up in the bigger is better thinking. I don't always agree with it myself -- I drive a pretty small truck. I just really like big bore guns and watching them really blow stuff up. Of the big bores, I like the 460 for the versatility. No other big bore that I am aware of can do what it does...

I PERSONALLY like the ability to shoot a light 45 colt at small targets just for the fun, or while sighting in and practicing. It allows me the ability to practice with the SAME GUN that I hunt with. Its cheaper to practice with the 45 colt rounds and get very familiar with my gun rather than shoot full charge 454 or 460 rounds out of it. Sure, you can make light loads in a 475 linbaugh, 45/70, or any other big bore out there. But the difference between the light load and the hunting load isn't NEAR the difference I can get between a light 45 colt and a heavy 454 or 460.

I didn't think I'd have to spell this all out, or defend my personal choice in hunting revolver on here. I just happen to like having that broad range available to me.

Now, can't we all just go shootin together with whatever gun we want to bring along??!!

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/25/2011 5:48 PM

I have never bought into the concept of shooting .454s or .45 Colts in the .460. Accuracy suffers. Always better off down-loading the .460 if slower speeds are desired. Now, I have used all three of these calibers on game, I prefer the .45 Colt. It will do all you need it to if loaded properly and never felt the additional speed potential of the .460 necessary, particularly at the ranges I hunt with a revolver. I think if you are going to step up, you step up in diameter. As was pointed out, depite the 1.8-inch case, it's still a .45. I always felt that if additional speed is necessary, the .454 will get it and it will be in a much less cumbersome package. But, that's just me. Anyhow, I also never feel the need to justify my choices in calibers or revolvers, because wanting something is a good enough excuse for me!

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/25/2011 6:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Whitworth
I also never feel the need to justify my choices in calibers or revolvers, because wanting something is a good enough excuse for me!

AGREED!!!
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/25/2011 6:37 PM

No S4S4U, that would be the same DIAMETER.

CALIBER is the diameter. CALIBER has nothing to do with the length of the case. They are all the same CALIBER, just not the same CHAMBERING, and that is the difference.

A 30-30, 308, 30-06 and 300 MAG are all the same CALIBER, yet very different CHAMBERINGS.

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/25/2011 6:57 PM

Glad to know you agree the 45 colt, 454, and 460 are in fact different then! I can admit that I am new to this stuff, and don't know all the correct terminology yet. Glad to know that someone here does!
Posted By: 430man

Re: Freedom Arms question... - 09/26/2011 6:48 PM

Never look for just more velocity unless ranges get longer. The .454 shoots flatter at range and the .460 extends that. Do you shoot your revolver at deer 200 to 500 yards?
Keep velocity the same at around 1200 to 1350 fps and go up in caliber, not velocity.
If you shoot game at 20 to 40 yards, the .45 Colt is wonderful and the .460 adds nothing but bullet choice problems. Go up to a .475 and the difference is a mountain to a mole hill. The .500 JRH is a step more but the .500 S&W is another LONG range gun with close range bullet choice problems.
Now if you want red smoke from a deer and don't care about meat, they sure kill.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums