Handgunhunt

shoulder holster

Posted By: widowmaker

shoulder holster - 12/17/2011 3:12 AM

I have a Ruger Super Redhawk 44 mag 7 1/2 inch barrel. I am looking at the Galco Kodiak Shoulder Holster and I wanted to know if anyone's ever had one. I am a big guy and need to know if the straps are adjustable.
Posted By: Vance in AK.

Re: shoulder holster - 12/17/2011 5:57 AM

Someone on here posted pics of one a while back & said they really liked it.
I'm currently using a Pistol Packaging Bandido for my 7.5" 480 SRH which works pretty well, but I would REALLY like to try the Galco Kodiak myself.
Posted By: GlennS

Re: shoulder holster - 12/17/2011 8:33 PM

Jeff Hoover has one. I think he likes his a lot. Maybe he will post here with some info.
Posted By: Vance in AK.

Re: shoulder holster - 12/20/2011 10:26 PM

Here's a link to Jeff's post from a year or so ago that featured the Galco Kodiak.

http://www.handgunhunt.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/81051/page/0/fpart/1
It's the post I was thinking of in my earlier post.
Posted By: freedom475

Re: shoulder holster - 12/21/2011 10:21 AM

Mine is a lot like the Kodiak. I use it for everything now and really like it. I pretty much refuse to carry in a belt holster now. I even have a chest holster for my 4" model 500 Smith&Wesson and another for my Ruger SBH Bisley with a scope.

It is the 7X Leather chest holster. I have carried it a lot of miles under a heavy pack and it has been the best I have found. One of the good things about it is that it comes with everything, so you don't get hit for $50 extra just for the ammo carrier.

I found this holster to be one of the few ways to carry a backpack and a revolver at the same time comfortably...Everyone that knows where this lake is doesn't believe me when I tell them I took my 6 year old son all the way in here for a three day backpacking adventure...lol, but the proof is in the photo.
Posted By: Gary

Re: shoulder holster - 12/21/2011 8:13 PM

Wearing one of these types of holsters begs the question - what about binoculars? For me, these across the chest rigs don't allow for carrying binos in the conventional fashion.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: shoulder holster - 12/21/2011 8:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Gary
Wearing one of these types of holsters begs the question - what about binoculars? For me, these across the chest rigs don't allow for carrying binos in the conventional fashion.

That is why I like the Bandito rig from Pistol Packaging. It sits out of the way.
Posted By: Gary

Re: shoulder holster - 12/21/2011 8:39 PM

I have one of those and I like it for a large scoped gun but I still don't like the fact that it cuts across my chest like it does. FA also makes a very good shoulder holster that holds the gun in more of a crossdraw position vs. vertically like the PP.
Posted By: BBwheelgunner

Re: shoulder holster - 12/21/2011 8:48 PM

Gary, that's a great point and one i often think about. its hard to carry everything that a person deems "essential" without making it awkward to carry.

I haven't found the perfect system for myself yet, but want to try one of the Von Ringler's wyoming Combination Holsters sometime. At least there you have options. Wish I could try them on first though without committing to it before
Posted By: freedom475

Re: shoulder holster - 12/21/2011 10:29 PM

I can just adjust my straps down and carry my pistol lower and to the side Then it is totally out of the way so that I can still carry my Bino-system.

The 7X has a moveable yoke in the back so that it allows for "any position" carry. A lot of these have a fixed attachment in the back so they are pretty much a single postion carry.
Posted By: GlennS

Re: shoulder holster - 12/21/2011 10:59 PM

My NW Hunter rig from Mike Barranti holds the gun more to the side if you want it to and allows me to keep my binoculars strapped on and out of the way. Its not a cheap holster but definitely the best i've ever used personally....
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums