Handgunhunt

Ruger Redhawk

Posted By: jmbrewer

Ruger Redhawk - 01/14/2012 3:37 AM

I'm trying to get into handgun hunting this year and picking out a good gun to start with. I've been looking for a good super blackhawk hunter or encore. I've got a guy that's trying to trade me an earlier model redhawk with 6in barrel that looks like it's in great shape. It would be a trade up for me, but I was wondering if anyone had any dealings with these early redhawks. I was planning to hunt with iron sights anyway, so not having ready scope mounts wouldn't be a huge problem. Alternatively another guy is wanting to trade an early model contender with leuopold scope in 30/30. Haven't seen this one yet, so don't know the condition. Either way, I got little cash in the gun that I'm trading. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Posted By: H2OBUG

Re: Ruger Redhawk - 01/14/2012 3:49 AM

The Redhawk is great I have had sevral and liked them all the 5.5" blue gun was the best one I ever had and the only one I miss.. If you get it just add a gold bead front sight and you are set. -- as for the T/C there are lots of questions --barrel length, age of the frame, grips, scope size, base and rings--

JMHO the Redhawk will be more fun--the T/C will shoot little groups way down yonder
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Ruger Redhawk - 01/14/2012 3:49 AM

I am a big fan of the Redhawk and that isn't a bad barrel length IMO.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Ruger Redhawk - 01/14/2012 3:53 AM

Wheelguns are more fun ;-)

Re: Ruger Redhawk - 01/14/2012 3:56 AM

Originally Posted By: s4s4u
Wheelguns are more fun ;-)

Amen to that!
Posted By: jmbrewer

Re: Ruger Redhawk - 01/14/2012 3:58 AM

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. Looks like I may need to take a good look at that Ruger.
Posted By: SChunter

Re: Ruger Redhawk - 01/14/2012 4:03 AM

Late 80's Redhawk was my first big bore...several (OK - a WHOLE lot) handguns later, it's still in possession, and does it just as well as the others that have followed.

It's a slippery slope...have fun!
Posted By: Mightyp

Re: Ruger Redhawk - 01/15/2012 7:49 PM

if you want to hunt w irons anyways then get the redhawk, great guns.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Ruger Redhawk - 01/17/2012 4:49 AM

The Redhawk is an excellent hunting handgun...

Re: Ruger Redhawk - 01/17/2012 11:39 AM

Nice piece, James!
Posted By: freedom475

Re: Ruger Redhawk - 01/17/2012 1:54 PM

I have them both and can say that the SBHH is way better suited for hunting, and it is much easier to shoot the Hunter models than it is to shoot the little 5 1/2" redhawk. The redhawk is NO fun with high powered loads,,the SBH hunter (either bisley or standard frame) is comfortable with any load you want, no matter how heavy or powerful.

Re: Ruger Redhawk - 01/17/2012 2:14 PM

The easiest shooting big bore revolver that I own or have owned is the Super Redhawk. Fit it with Hogue Tamers and you can shoot the heaviest loads without pain. One of the most accurate as well.
Posted By: 98Redline

Re: Ruger Redhawk - 01/17/2012 2:59 PM

I think the grips on the Redhawk are it's biggest detriment when shooting heavy recoiling loads. The relatively small grips can make the recoil particularly brutal.

I changed mine out with a set of Nill Griffe grips and the difference is night and day. A box full of 320gr hot hunting loads you say? No problem. I have a set of the Pachmyr presentation grips for it as well and they work just fine, but I find the Nill Griffe grips fit my hand better and look way better to boot.

That said, I still think my SBH Bisley Hunter shoots more accurately than my 5 1/2" Redhawk but that may be a function of the Red Dot sight and a slightly heavier weight.
Posted By: claytonfaulkner

Re: Ruger Redhawk - 01/17/2012 3:56 PM

Get the redhawk. If I ever find a good deal on one I will snatch it up.

Re: Ruger Redhawk - 01/17/2012 4:02 PM

Originally Posted By: 98Redline
I think the grips on the Redhawk are it's biggest detriment when shooting heavy recoiling loads. The relatively small grips can make the recoil particularly brutal.

I changed mine out with a set of Nill Griffe grips and the difference is night and day. A box full of 320gr hot hunting loads you say? No problem. I have a set of the Pachmyr presentation grips for it as well and they work just fine, but I find the Nill Griffe grips fit my hand better and look way better to boot.

That said, I still think my SBH Bisley Hunter shoots more accurately than my 5 1/2" Redhawk but that may be a function of the Red Dot sight and a slightly heavier weight.

You've got that right.
Posted By: Bearbait in NM

Re: Ruger Redhawk - 01/18/2012 12:08 AM

I kinda have a RedHawk on my list of "what might wander into the gunshop" list, as I had the occasion to spend some time in Gary Reeder's shop before the Holidays. I am not much of a fan of his laser engraving, but I was able to handle one of his Redhawk conversions, and the grip sure did fit my hand well. Not proof as in firing, but it did get my gears turning.

Craig
Posted By: Ravenman

Re: Ruger Redhawk - 01/18/2012 7:13 PM

You can't go wrong with a Ruger Redhawk. I have a 7 1/2" and 5 1/2" and would not like missing one.

Re: Ruger Redhawk - 01/18/2012 8:01 PM

Very nice, Ravenman!
Posted By: minnesotahunter

Re: Ruger Redhawk - 01/18/2012 8:18 PM

Very nice indeed!

I had a 7 1/2 inch redhawk with the rings, and it was my most accurate revolver. It would shoot 3 inch groups at 150 using a 4x T/C pistol scope, on a good day.... I wish I still had that gun, but my tastes have gone to the single action side.

I now have a SBHH in 45 that I would not part with. The trigger is better, and I havn't shot it at extended ranges yet...but it is also very accurate.

If I was going double action, it would be a redhawk.

MN
Posted By: pamlicomike

Re: Ruger Redhawk - 01/19/2012 2:33 AM

I've got both the 5 1/2 and 7 1/2. I drilled and tapped the 5 1/2 and mounted up a 2x Nikon. I like the balance better than the barrell mounted 7 1/2.
[img]http://p2090505[/img]
Posted By: Russell

Re: Ruger Redhawk - 01/19/2012 2:54 PM

5 1/2" Redhawk.
Posted By: TattooBlade

Re: Ruger Redhawk - 01/24/2012 7:45 PM

Redhawks are great, though I prefer Super Blackhawks. T/Cs are not handguns in my book. You can't go wrong with a Ruger.
Posted By: stoney

Re: Ruger Redhawk - 01/24/2012 8:18 PM

I have three Rugers, would not part with any of them. Don't have a Redhawk, but would like too.
Posted By: SBHunter81

Re: Ruger Redhawk - 01/24/2012 8:48 PM

I have a SBHH and my father-n-law has a redhawk. Both are great guns, I prefer mine, he prefers his.

Re: Ruger Redhawk - 01/24/2012 9:01 PM

I never cared for the factory grip on the Redhawk with heavy loads, which is why I've gone the way of the Super. The SRH 480R with the Hogue Tamers is a joy to shoot.

Re: Ruger Redhawk - 01/24/2012 9:13 PM

I really wish Hogue would make a Tamer-type grip for the Redhawk -- that is all my Redhawk is lacking. I'm going to have to spring for a set of Nil Griffe grips for mine as it is downright uncomfortable to shoot with anything over a heavy .45 Colt load.
Posted By: SChunter

Re: Ruger Redhawk - 01/24/2012 9:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Whitworth
I really wish Hogue would make a Tamer-type grip for the Redhawk -- that is all my Redhawk is lacking. I'm going to have to spring for a set of Nil Griffe grips for mine as it is downright uncomfortable to shoot with anything over a heavy .45 Colt load.

Umm...that's because you had a Casull built on it! Glutton for punishment.

Re: Ruger Redhawk - 01/24/2012 9:51 PM

Yeah, well.....but the grips still suck! LOL!
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums