Handgunhunt

Redhawk questions

Posted By: seafarer

Redhawk questions - 01/25/2012 5:59 PM

I want to upgrade a redhawk that I bought in the mid 80's. It currently has Pachmyr presentation grips. The stock grips are too small and the pachs a bit too big. I want a grip in between these. Suggestions?

The gun has the 7-1/2" barrel with integral scope mounts. I want to mount a 30mm red dot on it. Suggestions for rings?
Posted By: KRal

Re: Redhawk questions - 01/25/2012 7:58 PM

For the rings....Call ruger and they'll fix you right up.

As for the grips, if your not good at wood working or have the equipment, you may have to contact a custom builder. We have one here on this site (wapitrod); shoot him a PM; great customer service. Someone like Gary Reeder may be of interest. I've got a custom bisley by him and he has his own grip styles; I like mine.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Redhawk questions - 01/25/2012 8:03 PM

Hogue has a lot of "custom" grip options in various wood species, maybe give them a holler as well. Leupold also makes rings for the Ruger system, matte black only tho.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Redhawk questions - 01/25/2012 8:08 PM

Nil Griffe grips for the Redhawk are really nice -- a couple folks here have them (98Redline and Snyd) on their revolvers. You can buy them on EBay. I am planning on buying a set soon for my .454 Redhawk.
Posted By: TomG

Re: Redhawk questions - 01/26/2012 1:04 AM

I found that Pachmayr "Grippers" were "just right" on my Redhawk. They are not pretty but they git-r-done. http://www.pachmayr.com/home/gripper-grids.php I too had a problem with the Presentation grips being too large.

Tom

Re: Redhawk questions - 01/26/2012 1:11 AM

Originally Posted By: TomG
I found that Pachmayr "Grippers" were "just right" on my Redhawk. They are not pretty but they git-r-done. http://www.pachmayr.com/home/gripper-grids.php I too had a problem with the Presentation grips being too large.

Tom

This may be what I am looking for. I think these are the grips that I have on my 686. Liked them better than the presentation grips.

Re: Redhawk questions - 01/26/2012 1:16 AM

Burris also makes rings that fit. They can be had in matte blue or nickel. Found that I had an adapter for ruger to weaver that I think will fit the redhawk. May use it until I figure out what I really want. Since rings come in different heights, which do I need for the Ultradot?
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Redhawk questions - 01/26/2012 1:36 AM

Quote:
Since rings come in different heights, which do I need for the Ultradot?

If the sight will extend rearward over the hammer I will suggest high rings so you can get to the hammer unimpeded. If mounting on the barrel any will do, but I still lean toward higher rings on handguns.
Posted By: H2OBUG

Re: Redhawk questions - 01/26/2012 3:49 AM

I have a new High set of blue rings if you can use them-- they are 1" though I think the ultradot uses 30MM

Re: Redhawk questions - 01/26/2012 3:59 AM

Originally Posted By: H2OBUG
I have a new High set of blue rings if you can use them-- they are 1" though I think the ultradot uses 30MM

I am looking to put a 30mm red dot on the gun. I have the SS set that came with the gun but need the larger scope - eyes getting old and need all the help I can get.
Posted By: ohnomrbillk

Re: Redhawk questions - 01/31/2012 7:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Whitworth
Nil Griffe grips for the Redhawk are really nice -- a couple folks here have them (98Redline and Snyd) on their revolvers. You can buy them on EBay. I am planning on buying a set soon for my .454 Redhawk.

I have a few sets of these. They are very nice.

Re: Redhawk questions - 01/31/2012 11:48 AM

Where did you purchase them? EBay?
Posted By: 98Redline

Re: Redhawk questions - 01/31/2012 2:05 PM

Other than ordering directly from Germany, the ebay seller seems to be the only game in town. I looked and looked but they were the only ones stateside I could find that sold them.

Re: Redhawk questions - 01/31/2012 2:13 PM

They seem to be a great deal considering the cost of other grips I have priced.
Posted By: ohnomrbillk

Re: Redhawk questions - 02/01/2012 8:17 PM

I bought mine off ebay. Smoking hot price.
Posted By: Randominator

Re: Redhawk questions - 02/12/2012 10:52 PM

I have a set of Hogue grips on my Redhawk and they are a lot better than factory in my opinion.

© 2024 Handgunhunt forums