Handgunhunt

AZ Mountain Lion

Posted By: Night Stalker

AZ Mountain Lion - 09/23/2012 12:05 AM

A friend of mine is losing beef to a lion here in AZ, other than dogs anyone got any suggestions to fixing this problems.

I say other than dogs because I don't have any access to dogs
Posted By: SBHunter81

Re: AZ Mountain Lion - 09/23/2012 12:40 AM

Patience and the time for it :-)
Posted By: rlb

Re: AZ Mountain Lion - 09/23/2012 1:22 AM

Call him. A lot of lions are called in every year, but they are so sneaky that they come and go without being seen. Just make sure you can see a lot of country, preferably below you, and keep a close eye out and be patient. A remote caller would be best so he doesn't jump on your back.
;\)
Posted By: linebaugh

Re: AZ Mountain Lion - 09/23/2012 1:30 AM

Why not find a local outfitter and see if they want to hunt your property. You could help each other out...

Re: AZ Mountain Lion - 09/23/2012 5:39 AM

I like the call idea, I've done that with coyotes. My partner is scouting the area this weekend so we can get the layout
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: AZ Mountain Lion - 09/23/2012 6:35 AM

find the kill and sit on it, they will revisit it regularly until it's gone or rotten. Next to dogs sitting on a fresh kill is the most reliable way to get a lion. Next would be calling then incidental contact and last baiting unless you use live bait which is frowend upon ethically and possibly legally, although I've heard of people that will use rabbits and although not recently I've heard of them breaking a leg so they scream. Personally I don't have the stomach for that and I'm not sure of the legal ramifications.
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: AZ Mountain Lion - 09/23/2012 8:29 AM

Originally Posted By: wapitirod
find the kill and sit on it, they will revisit it regularly until it's gone or rotten. ...............................

But not always. A friend lost 3 Alpacas to a lion one night and the DOW brought a trap and set it along with a camera "watching" the site, but the lion never came back. That cat was a
one-hitter for sure. I saw what we definitely believe to be the same cat a few weeks later and I definitely could have put the wallop on him (even scoped him out with my AR) but it was on the adjoining property I lease and it was made clear in the lease agreement that hunting was OFF LIMITS.

Re: AZ Mountain Lion - 09/23/2012 8:33 AM

Originally Posted By: rlb
Call him. A lot of lions are called in every year, but they are so sneaky that they come and go without being seen. Just make sure you can see a lot of country, preferably below you, and keep a close eye out and be patient. A remote caller would be best so he doesn't jump on your back.
;\)

Call with a partner and sit back to back. MHO
Posted By: Dan B.

Re: AZ Mountain Lion - 09/23/2012 10:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Gregg Richter
 Originally Posted By: wapitirod
find the kill and sit on it, they will revisit it regularly until it's gone or rotten.

But not always.

Gregg....it' a suggestions. You don't know if it will or will not be back. You don't have to be the counter point all the time...

Originally Posted By: Gregg Richter

How about you hold the caller, sit about a hundred yards away and let someone watch your back?
;\)
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: AZ Mountain Lion - 09/23/2012 10:20 AM

Once ya get a mountain lion, what do you do with it? Can ya eat them?? Seems like that would be right up there with eating opposum!!

Just curious. I know most people here shoot yotes and leave them lay. Is that the same with lions??
Posted By: rickiesrevenge

Re: AZ Mountain Lion - 09/23/2012 1:46 PM

I know people who have eaten it and said it was delicious. As to the original post I would put out my foxpro and call. If you can legally do it at night with a red lens spotlight that would be my first choice.

Re: AZ Mountain Lion - 09/23/2012 3:14 PM

If I can kill it ill skin him out and probably have the hide tanned, but probably won't be eating lion
Posted By: 500WE

Re: AZ Mountain Lion - 09/23/2012 4:31 PM

The backstrap is tolerable. Can't say it's good, but tolerable. I've eaten african lion backstrap, too. Tastes is not too bad either, but about as chewy as a tire.
Posted By: Cookie125

Re: AZ Mountain Lion - 09/23/2012 5:15 PM

I don't have expeirence with lions but I have read on other forums where they call near a kill sight with a FoxPro so that way they can keep it away from the hunter, as for eating it, if it is anything like bobcat I would thing it would be pretty good, bobcat is like eating pork almost.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: AZ Mountain Lion - 09/23/2012 5:42 PM

Bait and call, would be my tactic, if legal there. If you can find a fresh kill and set up on it, like Rod said, I think your chances would be better because the cat will know it is there. It really depends on the availability of food when, and if it will return.
Posted By: S.B.

Re: AZ Mountain Lion - 09/23/2012 5:57 PM

Interesting. I've always thought that American lions would be a great hunt. Best of luck with your eradications.
Steve
Posted By: BuddyB

Re: AZ Mountain Lion - 09/23/2012 8:38 PM

A friend of mine in AZ was calling coyotes and a lion came and took his electronic caller and ran down a canyon. He found the call the next day but it wasn't in the best of shape. Talk about someone hating lions now lol.

Re: AZ Mountain Lion - 09/24/2012 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By: BuddyB
A friend of mine in AZ was calling coyotes and a lion came and took his electronic caller and ran down a canyon. He found the call the next day but it wasn't in the best of shape. Talk about someone hating lions now lol.

Ya know thats a story that would be great on tv as bloopers or believe it or not.LOL
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: AZ Mountain Lion - 09/24/2012 5:54 AM

if a cat has done what greg is talking about then it's the exception and it has either started killing for kicks or it may be teaching it's young to kill but I've seen them do that more with domestic pets. I tracked one my brother in law had going through his yard and I found one house cat half buried and another hanging in a tree. It was a mother and two kittens being taught to hunt and to the kittens it's just a game at that point.
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: AZ Mountain Lion - 09/24/2012 1:06 PM

Well at least they were practicing on cats... I hate cats.
Posted By: rbecker

Re: AZ Mountain Lion - 09/24/2012 11:11 PM

Bobcats have come to my foxpro, I put out a foxpro moving decoy too and they dont pay much attention to me. Dont think any cougars have come in. All of my encounters have been just chance while looking for deer. Ive seen six cougars and I dont think they hear too well. Five of them never even glanced in my direction but managed to vanish into the thick stuff before I could shoot.

Re: AZ Mountain Lion - 09/25/2012 2:39 AM

Originally Posted By: rbecker
Bobcats have come to my foxpro, I put out a foxpro moving decoy too and they dont pay much attention to me. Dont think any cougars have come in. All of my encounters have been just chance while looking for deer. Ive seen six cougars and I dont think they hear too well. Five of them never even glanced in my direction but managed to vanish into the thick stuff before I could shoot.

--------------------------------------------------------------
rbecker, you definitely have my respect for seeing six cougars!

I have an older FoxPro and it has served me well also. I have tried the moving decoy thing with it, but it seems that when the action gets hot, (two or more coyotes coming in) I end up bumbling with the FoxPro controls and trying to figure out: do I turn the sound down, turn it up, change it to another different sound; or do I stop the moving decoy, or change its pattern, or ??? Or just do nothing? But wait, what about when they stop and hesitate...???

LOL!

I think you'd have to be there to really identify with the already happening adrenalin flow with the quarry coming in, and yet my doubt of what I should do next (not to mention that with each option I deploy, there is movement on my part which is a dead give-away ..sorry-no pun intended...

But that is just me, and MY confusion! Is that sumthin' like multi-tasking?

At any rate, IMHO, there is nothing as pure and exciting in hunting as when calling in the quarry!

Especially bull elk!

PS: Keep up the good work, rbecker!
;\)

Re: AZ Mountain Lion - 09/27/2012 1:44 AM

Well got the scouting report back and it sounds like really rough terain, even for dogs. Ranges sounds long and calling sounds like the only options. Ill keep you up to date as I can thanks for the help guys

Re: AZ Mountain Lion - 09/27/2012 4:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Dan B.
 Originally Posted By: Gregg Richter[quote=Gregg Richter

How about you hold the caller, sit about a hundred yards away and let someone watch your back?
;\)

I missed this originally...it was on the first page yet bordered on the second on my 'puter... sorry...

DanB, that is not any different than what I have done already on several hundred calling stands, except

...I had nobody watching my back...

and I was using a mouth call, which was even more dangerous (ie. movement, etc.). But none the less, DanB, thank you for your confidence in me. I would not let ya down; you can definitely count on it.

;\)

Re: AZ Mountain Lion - 09/27/2012 5:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Night Stalker
Well got the scouting report back and it sounds like really rough terain, even for dogs. Ranges sounds long and calling sounds like the only options. Ill keep you up to date as I can thanks for the help guys

Good luck and please do and you are welcome...
Posted By: BBwheelgunner

Re: AZ Mountain Lion - 09/27/2012 5:22 PM

good luck!
Posted By: Matt Meyer

Re: AZ Mountain Lion - 11/23/2012 2:37 AM

This might be to late but, keep in mind that hunting over ANY kind of bait is illegal in Az
I would use a call(electronic or otherwise) and possibly a decoy such as a fawn or elk calf
Posted By: HoggHunter

Re: AZ Mountain Lion - 11/23/2012 5:47 PM

oh yes, what an opportunity..... as for the food aspect of the cat, when a man is hungry, the taste buds are much less picky. But I know of several hunters that were high in the mountains when darkness arrived that bivouc'd for the night and the cat carcass served up just dandy. with no complaints .

Re: AZ Mountain Lion - 11/24/2012 7:48 PM

Ya don't think I'll be eating lion, doesn't sound good at all.

Haven't made it out there yet but will soon, just had to much going on
Posted By: 358429

Re: AZ Mountain Lion - 11/27/2012 11:03 PM

Night Stalker

Cats are very unpredictable, if you do not have dogs then the next best choice is calling. And keep in mind that they will hunt you..
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums