Handgunhunt

windy windy windy

Posted By: Raptortrapper

windy windy windy - 11/04/2012 1:50 PM

Day two of the third season here in Colorado. Yesterday produced nothing but great memories of being able to go hunting with my wife for the first time ever! We didn't see a thing, but sure enjoyed our time. She doesn't do very well with cold weather, but did great yesterday with about 4 layers of clothes.

Last night got VERY windy, and it has continued so far this morning. Wind would do my wife in, so I decided to stay in this morning. Got to thinkin though, have any of you done any good on windy days? I never have. Anything over 15 - 20 mph wind means I never see anything. I've tried looking in the deep timber, or in the lowest valleys I can find. I've tried looking in the aspen groves on the down wind side... Everything. Seems like it just stops elk in their tracks, and all they do is bed down somewhere. Can't find them anywhere.

What do you experience?
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: windy windy windy - 11/04/2012 4:14 PM

depends on what the animals are used to, here on the NW OR coast wind and rain are a part of life. Normally most deer are either held up or running for cover in monsoons like we have here but these guys just mill around eating like it was a drizzle. Then again they would starve if they waited for better weather to eat. It's the same thing with wind, I stayed home on the last two days of elk season a couple years ago because they were expection gust's to 80mph and I knew there would be tree's falling. It was the biggest mistake I made, especially since it was only a four day season. They slaughtered the elk, the wind had them jumping. In normall winds which here 20-30 is common it has no affect on the animals.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: windy windy windy - 11/04/2012 5:05 PM

I love when it blows. When it blows I am on the go. Find a well used trail and slowly follow it, keeping a sharp eye out. I have shot many deer while they were bedded down, some while they were looking right at me. If you are afraid to take a shot at a running deer this may not be for you, but it works for me.
Posted By: Bearbait in NM

Re: windy windy windy - 11/04/2012 5:06 PM

I just got back from a week of mule deer and elk hunting here in NM, and it was windy more than not. I have had historically zero luck in the kind of wind I had. I too headed for the spots that had less wind, but it was a complete bust. Lots of wind, with the moon so full, and it's a lot of work ;^)

One little trick that I like to try is if the wind is really howling, then lays down for the day, I try and get out at that moment. This trip was brutal, as the wind was completely unpredictable. One or two dead calm mornings and evenings, but never on the same day ;^)

Good luck with the rest of the hunt,

Craig
Posted By: Gunz

Re: windy windy windy - 11/04/2012 6:32 PM

I try to hunt the food sources in bad weather. They still have to eat sooner or later.
Posted By: Landrum

Re: windy windy windy - 11/04/2012 11:46 PM

I hunt in Georgia so I don't know how this will translate to Colorado. Anyway, I have noticed that on windy days, deer often feed right in the middle of the afternoon. Usually, on an average calm day, the peak activity for my area is mid to late morning and the 30 minutes prior to sundown.

On a really windy day, I can find deer feeding in hollows that are protected from the wind. Again, this would be a total waste of time on a "normal" hunting day.

Re: windy windy windy - 11/05/2012 1:18 AM

I am seeing TONS of deer, but only have bull and bear tags. Thats my problem. Went out this afternoon and this evening after the wind had died slightly, but still nothing. Got till the 11th, so hope something changes!

Its still fun though!!!
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: windy windy windy - 11/05/2012 2:19 AM

Good Luck!
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: windy windy windy - 11/05/2012 2:46 AM

Originally Posted By: raptortrapper
I am seeing TONS of deer, but only have bull and bear tags.

Are you seeing any good bucks?

Hang in there; you may still get your chance. Good luck!

Re: windy windy windy - 11/06/2012 2:53 AM

Yeah there are two good bucks that we have seen on our property here. They have been dubbed "the brothers" because we always see them together. We saw them again today, which makes three straight days of seeing them.

We FINALLY saw a bull tonight, but he was about a half a mile away on public land, and about 10 minutes shy of dark moving in. Was sure nice to see one though!
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums