Handgunhunt

Hunting tactics, not artillery.

Posted By: Boot

Hunting tactics, not artillery. - 02/07/2013 10:35 PM

There's alot of threads about the tools we use to handgun hunt, I'd like to hear about the tactics y'all use. Given the fact the we handgun hunt, HOW do y'all hunt, while you're after any particular critter? From the ground sitting on the dirt? From a ground blind? From an elevated stand? Climber? Ladder? Deer tower with heat, a la-z-boy, and cable tv? I've only handgun hunted a couple seasons now, and have had to change my habits w/o a rifle in hand. I used to hunt big food plots from a "tower stand", but seem to prefer ladders or my climbing stand now. If you dont mind sharing, post up some of your favorite methods of being successful with a handgun. Full camo? Natural blind? Sit against a big oak to hide your outline? Any info will be appreciated. Just trying to benefit from others experience. Thanks all, and God bless.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Hunting tactics, not artillery. - 02/07/2013 10:51 PM

When deer hunting I mostly walk. I like to get on a good trail and slowly mosey along, stopping for a few seconds to several minutes at a time. I will set up a stand or few over likely areas for early morning and evening, but the day is spent afoot.
Posted By: linebaugh

Re: Hunting tactics, not artillery. - 02/07/2013 11:05 PM

I hunt out of either a climber or a hang on. Those are my two favorite ways to hunt.. I usually set on heavely traveled trails, and wait for the deer to start moving.
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: Hunting tactics, not artillery. - 02/07/2013 11:29 PM

I like spot and stalk!
Posted By: Dan B.

Re: Hunting tactics, not artillery. - 02/07/2013 11:38 PM

Artillery!!!

Or....equipped with a small Buddy propane heater.

I also hunt from a tripod stand on the same property. But when the weather is good, I enjoy still hunting best of all!! When it gets REALLY nasty and blowing while everyone else is at home I have a honey hole that I can nearly guarantee a kill if I still hunt in it.
Posted By: bladesmith14731

Re: Hunting tactics, not artillery. - 02/08/2013 12:37 AM

Mornings and evenings in one of my stands. Walking the trials or sitting on some key spots the rest of the time.
Posted By: wolverine

Re: Hunting tactics, not artillery. - 02/08/2013 1:01 AM

In the treestand as long as the wind permits. On the ground in heavy cover during higher winds.
Posted By: Gary

Re: Hunting tactics, not artillery. - 02/08/2013 1:19 AM

Wolverine kind of hit on it. I adjust my tactics depending on the conditions, location, time of year, etc. I also adjust my tactics if I have a notion to hunt with a particular gun on a particular day. For me there is no one size fits all. I really like still hunting if the conditions are right as well as spot and stalk but it isn't always productive if you try it when the conditions are wrong.
Posted By: racksmasher

Re: Hunting tactics, not artillery. - 02/08/2013 1:44 AM

Mostly I sit in ladder stands, sometimes all day,the wind and weather determine which one.
Posted By: wheelguns

Re: Hunting tactics, not artillery. - 02/08/2013 1:56 AM

Spot and stock, still hunt, ,and ambush. My favorite is spot and stock, enjoy the rush i get as I slowly move in closer and closer to make that shot happen.
Posted By: GlennS

Re: Hunting tactics, not artillery. - 02/08/2013 2:13 AM

Depends. Mississippi hunting methods don't work as well in Western KS
\:\)

I use stands and stalking in MS. In KS, it's mainly spot and stalk. Nothing is close out there until you make it that way. I also had to add to my handgun hunting stash when I moved here. Until KS, I didn't really have. Need for a single shot, here, I have a use for them
\:\)
Posted By: MIHunter

Re: Hunting tactics, not artillery. - 02/08/2013 2:27 PM

I hunt mostly out of tree stands. The same stands I bow hunt out of. I do have 1 tower stand with a heater.
Posted By: RioHondoHank

Re: Hunting tactics, not artillery. - 02/08/2013 3:58 PM

I mostly hunt from tree stands, but last year I used existing brush piles as a natural blind so as to be able to get near to trails that I had seen a lot of activity. This year I plan to do more of the same, but am going to use a chair blind in the brush piles for better concealment. The chair blind can be quickly moved and set up so I can get on the downwind side of the trail no matter what the wind.

http://www.ameristep.com/blinds/oneman.html
Posted By: 7P's

Re: Hunting tactics, not artillery. - 02/08/2013 4:50 PM

I see no difference in hunting tactics then those used with a rifle, except maybe if you're use to shooting big magnum rifles in wide open country.

Most wood ranges are 15 to 70 yards max and it doesn't matter much if your pussy-footin around or perched in a tree as to yardage.

Wide open spaces you walk the draws and have a couple others cover the outlets, as when they bust loose they are at warp speed and know their escape routes extremely well, so normally a snap shot & a prayer is about all you'll get.
Posted By: kingfisher

Re: Hunting tactics, not artillery. - 02/08/2013 5:03 PM

In Alabama, I usually hunt open woods/CRP in mornings by stalking or using a chair blind or a Millenium Tree Seat(unbelievably comfortable). Afternoons are spent in a ladder stand overlooking a food plot.
Little different approach in IL and KY...I stay on the food sources all day long, tho some mornings I will perch close to a travel corridor.
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: Hunting tactics, not artillery. - 02/08/2013 6:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Dan B.

Or....equipped with a small Buddy propane heater.

Dang Dan, I wanna hunt with you! Is there a coffee pot in there?

;\)
Posted By: Shortgun

Re: Hunting tactics, not artillery. - 02/08/2013 7:27 PM

Dan, I like that setup in the tree!!!

I mostly hunt from ground blinds in the mountains here at home. Occasionly I'll hunt from a tree stand if the terrain dictates.
I'm working on a shooting house here on my property at home that I"ll hunt out of when it's too bad to go up on the mountain.
Posted By: Ernie

Re: Hunting tactics, not artillery. - 02/08/2013 8:12 PM

Primarily spot-n-stalk, but sometimes set up a ambush point.
Posted By: wyote

Re: Hunting tactics, not artillery. - 02/08/2013 8:51 PM

Since you didn't mention what we would be hunting..........

For antelope, spot and stalk

Mule deer, spot and stalk

Whitetail, sitting on the ground looking over hay field or creek bottom

Bear over bait, tree stand.

Elk, spot and stalk
Posted By: wheeler45

Re: Hunting tactics, not artillery. - 02/08/2013 8:56 PM

When I could walk I hunted from a climbing tree stand. Now the wheelchair and I sit in an elevated shooting house. Sandbags on window sills provide a shooting platform for the XP-100 or Contender.
Posted By: Dan B.

Re: Hunting tactics, not artillery. - 02/08/2013 10:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Gregg Richter

;\)

Nope.....BYOC. If I buy this property though, my dad may have me put power to the stand!
Posted By: kingfisher

Re: Hunting tactics, not artillery. - 02/09/2013 1:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Dan B.
 Originally Posted By: Gregg Richter

;\)

Nope.....BYOC. If I buy this property though, my dad may have me put power to the stand!

I have a customer who has ceiling fans/lights/ mini-frigs in 12 of his shooting houses. Underground/conduit running to each one. Let me know when you're ready...I'll hook ya'll up.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums