Handgunhunt

Handgun hunting books

Posted By: MrChaos

Handgun hunting books - 06/10/2013 4:02 AM

What are the definitive handgun hunting books yall recommend? Specifically looking for one about the T/C Contenders and Encores.
Posted By: Franchise

Re: Handgun hunting books - 06/10/2013 10:57 AM

Hunting for Handgunners is a must read. Gary Reeder has 2 books, but they mainly deal with his GNR rounds. Handgun hunting written by Mark Hampton is another great book.
Posted By: GlennS

Re: Handgun hunting books - 06/10/2013 11:36 AM

Mark Hamptons books as mentioned, Larry Weisuhn has one, JD Jones and Larry Kelly's book is a classic. Larry has stories from lots of hunts with sixguns and single shots in his. Mark has a lot of stories and just plain good info on single shots and sixguns, JD and Larry's book is primarily single shots but has stories and such from writers like Mark to aid along the way. Good book. Mine is tattered after many many reads over the years.

Here are the ones that have been mentioned and the ISBN numbers if that helps..

Posted By: johnwilliams

Re: Handgun hunting books - 06/10/2013 12:15 PM

check out amazon,you can find most of these books and buy them used or new at much much lower price than if you found them in a regular bookstore-john
Posted By: Franchise

Re: Handgun hunting books - 06/10/2013 7:59 PM

Handguns '95 & '96 have great articles on T/C chamberings
Posted By: MrChaos

Re: Handgun hunting books - 06/10/2013 11:58 PM

I just put JD Jones and Larry Kelly's book in my amazon cart to wait till friday for when i get paid.
Posted By: Gary

Re: Handgun hunting books - 06/11/2013 12:18 AM

One of the best books is by "Handgun Hunting" by Nonte & Jurras but you won't find one definitive book because there are too many aspects and technology has changed since a lot of these books were written, bullet technology especially.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Handgun hunting books - 06/11/2013 2:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Gary
One of the best books is by "Handgun Hunting" by Nonte & Jurras but you won't find one definitive book because there are too many aspects and technology has changed since a lot of these books were written, bullet technology especially.

Yup, the unfortunate reality of that book and the JD Jones/Larry Kelly book are that they are quite dated. I do have them both and have read them cover to cover.
Posted By: GlennS

Re: Handgun hunting books - 06/11/2013 2:59 AM

They are dated to an extent but have a lot of info in them and what was true then really hasn't changed too much. Equipment is a little better, few new calibers but the basics are all there. The Jurras book is one of my favorites. Lee told me years ago that he felt it was dated by the time the publisher released it
\:\)
the pic of him with the antelope he killed at over 200 yards with the 357 Automag was always a personal favorite. I had him sign a nice color version of it for my gun area a while back. I've wanted to hunt antelope ever since but just haven't seemed to draw yet. Oh well.
Posted By: johnwilliams

Re: Handgun hunting books - 06/21/2013 1:13 AM

can't forget,even though its geared for revolvers,Max(whitworth)Prasacs book -Big-Bore Revolvers,you can get straight walled big bores for the contender and encore(I have the encore in .500 mag-15"muzzle tamer)so I think this is still a great book even though you'll be using single shots ,in fact I think its a must have for handgun hunters just like the other books mentioned-john
Posted By: Mightyp

Re: Handgun hunting books - 06/30/2013 10:38 PM

the above mentioned books are good, I also like reading John Taffins books.
Posted By: Mikewin

Re: Handgun hunting books - 06/30/2013 11:24 PM

Whit's book on big bore revolvers is just great! And not dated. I have all of the above and then some, with the exception of Weisuhn's book and the Al Goerg original volume. As a contemporary example, though, I think Whit's book is hard to beat - although, of course, it deals with revolvers and not single shots....
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums