Handgunhunt

Morning Squirrel Hunt

Posted By: Gary

Morning Squirrel Hunt - 02/09/2014 6:29 PM

I finally caught the weather right and got a nice mess of squirrels for supper. Aside from a couple of crows this was first blood with my scoped 252. All head shot I might add.

Here is a bullet I recovered. It's an Aguila 38gr HP and as you can see it expanded nicely. I shot the squirrel in the head from a frontal direction and recovered the bullet under the hide near the last rib.

Posted By: Dan B.

Re: Morning Squirrel Hunt - 02/09/2014 7:06 PM

Well done.
Posted By: TomC

Re: Morning Squirrel Hunt - 02/09/2014 7:39 PM

Nice bunch of fox squirrels.
Posted By: doc with a glock

Re: Morning Squirrel Hunt - 02/09/2014 7:48 PM

Gary,

Nice parcel! Grays? Any other species? I love my FA 252s.

Doc

Re: Morning Squirrel Hunt - 02/09/2014 8:39 PM

We don't have grey squirrels here only fox squirrels. No limit and no season!
Posted By: Big Todd

Re: Morning Squirrel Hunt - 02/09/2014 9:13 PM

Congrats on the squirrels. The top one looks big as a house cat.
Posted By: Duke3026

Re: Morning Squirrel Hunt - 02/09/2014 9:47 PM

Great job! Are you deep frying or stew?

Re: Morning Squirrel Hunt - 02/09/2014 9:50 PM

I'm brining them now but they are going to be browned first then into a dutch oven. Way too tough not to slow cook them.
Posted By: Festus

Re: Morning Squirrel Hunt - 02/09/2014 10:04 PM

nice gun and nice shot!
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Morning Squirrel Hunt - 02/09/2014 10:17 PM

I can see you had a good morning.... Your 38gr .22 HP could not have performed any better...
Posted By: SChunter

Re: Morning Squirrel Hunt - 02/09/2014 10:30 PM

Nice shooting Gary!
Posted By: Russell

Re: Morning Squirrel Hunt - 02/09/2014 10:43 PM

Nice mess of squirrels. Good shooting.
Posted By: Rick

Re: Morning Squirrel Hunt - 02/09/2014 11:54 PM

Nice way to spend a morning.
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: Morning Squirrel Hunt - 02/10/2014 12:28 AM

Staying sharp
Posted By: KYODE

Re: Morning Squirrel Hunt - 02/10/2014 12:47 AM

That is handgun hunting right there. 😎
Posted By: RedSS

Re: Morning Squirrel Hunt - 02/10/2014 7:52 AM

Most excellent! One of my favorite pastimes as well.
Posted By: dhom

Re: Morning Squirrel Hunt - 02/10/2014 10:51 AM

Now there is something I haven't done in a while. GREAT JOB! I have got to set some time aside to hunt squirrel again.
Posted By: KRal

Re: Morning Squirrel Hunt - 02/10/2014 2:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Gary
We don't have grey squirrels here only fox squirrels. No limit and no season!

That's sweet! Congrats, Gary. I love hunt'n 'em and eat'n 'em😊!

Re: Morning Squirrel Hunt - 02/11/2014 9:58 PM

Now on the table!

Posted By: junebug

Re: Morning Squirrel Hunt - 02/11/2014 11:01 PM

Gary
That's a cruel picture to put on the screen. We can't smell it or taste it .There are probably 3 or 4 people licking there computer screens right now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where are the biskets or the cornbread ?

Re: Morning Squirrel Hunt - 02/11/2014 11:10 PM

Cornbread - just for the record!
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: Morning Squirrel Hunt - 02/11/2014 11:19 PM

Originally Posted By: junebug
Gary
That's a cruel picture to put on the screen. We can't smell it or taste it .There are probably 3 or 4 people licking there computer screens right now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where are the biskets or the cornbread ?

HAHA!!! I was reading the posts to catch up, and got to the picture of the stew. I was making a deep sniffing sound through my nose and my wife goes, "WHAT are you DOING?" I said, "Come here and see!" She looked at the screen, and said, "You dork." Then I scrolled down and read your post and died laughing. My wife came over and all I could do was point at the post. She said, "Well, at least you're not the only one!"

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
Posted By: Duke3026

Re: Morning Squirrel Hunt - 02/12/2014 1:18 AM

Gary,
Love the pearl onions, bet it was a great meal.Have a meal ready for four.
Posted By: Tuner

Re: Morning Squirrel Hunt - 02/12/2014 4:44 AM

Nice bunch of squirrel and great hunting rig. I just bought an early model TC Contender with 10 In .22 barrel just for the purpose of squirrel hunting. Unfortunately by the tie I get it picked up the squirrel season in Georgia will be over. Never have figured out why there is a season on squirrels, it is not like they will be overhunted and wind up on the endangered species list without a season.
Posted By: howl

Re: Morning Squirrel Hunt - 02/12/2014 2:18 PM

Very nice!
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: Morning Squirrel Hunt - 02/12/2014 2:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Tuner
Never have figured out why there is a season on squirrels, it is not like they will be overhunted and wind up on the endangered species list without a season.

Ya know, I used to think the same thing. But then again, look what happened to the Passenger pigeon! Used to be so many of them that they used them for the original trap shoots!

I'd be the first one in line to shoot squirrels. Can't stand those little suckers planting trees in my yard all the time! Nothing but an overgrown rat to me, but if they were extinct, I think I just might miss the buggers, but only because they are fun to hunt, and good eating!!

With the falconry that I do, there are some states that have open season on jackrabbits and cottontails. Been that way for a long time, and there's no population issues there, so I don't see why squirrels would be any different. Not that many people hunt them, comparatively speaking anyway.
Posted By: longhunter

Re: Morning Squirrel Hunt - 02/14/2014 1:21 AM

nice shooting and a good looking meal
Posted By: Hawkeye

Re: Morning Squirrel Hunt - 02/14/2014 5:05 AM

Gary, how about the recipe? Looks just like the dish my
Grandmother used to make when I would get a mess of squacks with my pellet rifle.
I hunt them with my longbow now and sure get hungry before I get a good mess of them in the frezzer. HAH
Mike
Posted By: RedSS

Re: Morning Squirrel Hunt - 02/14/2014 5:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Hawkeye
Gary, how about the recipe?

X2. That looks like a stellar meal!
Posted By: Seasons44

Re: Morning Squirrel Hunt - 02/14/2014 2:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Gary
Now on the table!

Looks good Gary, Nicely done

Re: Morning Squirrel Hunt - 02/14/2014 5:38 PM

The recipe is listed on the recipe page under member services
Posted By: Tuner

Re: Morning Squirrel Hunt - 02/21/2014 11:59 PM

Raptor, I thought about the Passenger Pigeon when I wrote that but my guess is that there are many times more bird hunters then squirrel hunters. Back when those birds were flying a group of hunters could go out and shoot hundreds, possibly thousands in a day, I can’t imagine that ever happening while squirrel hunting, they just don’t seem to generate enough hunting interest to ever impact the population numbers. Look at the ground squirrels in the western US, their populations seem to be impacted more by disease then heavy hunting pressure. I saw a statistic several weeks ago that said something around 806,000 squirrels were killed annually in the US, that’s nothing and my guess is it probably would probably not increase significantly if all states removed their season on them. This is just my guess and why I said that in my original post; however, your guess and opinion is as good as mine.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums