Handgunhunt

Thank you everyone!

Posted By: G19

Thank you everyone! - 03/30/2014 6:53 PM

First off I want to say what a great group of people you have here.I want to thank all of those who have helped me since i first joined this group. This is by far the best handgun hunting site I have come across.

Most of you know I have been debating on whether to go with a .357mag or a .44mag for my first hunting handgun. I was set about two weeks ago on the .357mag (i know it could do the job) but ended up changing my mind 5 or 6 times on what I was going to go with and finally pulled the trigger today so to speak.

I was at the LGS and was going back and forth for almost an hr (wife was getting very angry) holding each gun, trying to get a good feel for it, seeing which one fit like a glove. I even closed my eyes and had them hand me each gun not telling me which it was and I found the one for me.

I ended up getting the Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter Bisley. I know ammo cost is going to kill me until I can scrape up some more money to get into reloading but it's a sacrifice i'm willing to make. At first I was going to pass because I mentioned to my wife the cost of ammo and the owner said maybe he could help me out. Well he did, he cut me a great deal, well actually what I think was an awesome deal on the gun and he did it within my budget to boot. As soon as I figure out how to post pictures i'll put one up even though ya'll know what the gun looks like. Thanks again to everyone on the site who has helped me and then some.

Posted By: Boot

Re: Thank you everyone! - 03/30/2014 7:00 PM

Congrats on the new artillery! I've got one just like it, and it's more accurate than me, and built like a tank. Post up some pics, and keep us updated.

Re: Thank you everyone! - 03/30/2014 7:06 PM

For now I just made it my avatar until I can get one of my kids to help me post some pictures. Now I can't wait to get to the range and try her out. I will update as I go along.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Thank you everyone! - 03/30/2014 7:44 PM

If yer happy wer happy.
Posted By: SEAK

Re: Thank you everyone! - 03/30/2014 9:05 PM

Congrats on a sound investment.

Re: Thank you everyone! - 03/30/2014 9:24 PM

I'm happier than a catfish in a chum slick.
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: Thank you everyone! - 03/30/2014 9:56 PM

Great choice.
Posted By: TGC

Re: Thank you everyone! - 03/30/2014 10:00 PM

HAAA! Now I know how to get the LGS to come down on the prices. Hang around for and hour or so.

Great choice on the gun. You can load it down to .357 if you want but you can also do heavy for caliber .44 mag. Great gun, very nice. Now tell the wife about the reloading equipment, components and don't forget the holsters you will have to buy until you get the right one.

Good for you.
Posted By: 98Redline

Re: Thank you everyone! - 03/30/2014 10:07 PM

Great choice! In your hand you have a weapon that is more than up to the challenge of taking any game on this continent.

I have the identical gun and mine is downright the most accurate revolver I own.
It has the added benefit of putting a stupid grin on my face every time I touch off a full boogie load.

Enjoy!

....and +1 on the advice of saving up some pennies to get a basic reloading setup. Reloading is much more about the process than the equipment. With an investment substantially smaller than what you paid for the gun, you can have a relatively inexpensive setup that if run with care and dilligence will consistently turn out top quality ammunition. It is at that point you will really see what YOUR gun is capable of.

Re: Thank you everyone! - 03/30/2014 10:44 PM

Quote:
HAAA! Now I know how to get the LGS to come down on the prices. Hang around for and hour or so.

I think the "(wife was getting very angry)" may have had some effect as well ;-)
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: Thank you everyone! - 03/30/2014 11:10 PM

Nice choice!! Like ya said, you couldn't go wrong with either one, but I think when ya look back at it later on, when ya see what the 44 is capable of, I think you'll be glad ya went with it.

Re: Thank you everyone! - 03/31/2014 12:07 AM

Now that I look at it I know I made the right choice.

Re: Thank you everyone! - 03/31/2014 12:11 AM

Originally Posted By: TGC

Great choice on the gun. You can load it down to .357 if you want but you can also do heavy for caliber .44 mag. Great gun, very nice. Now tell the wife about the reloading equipment, components and don't forget the holsters you will have to buy until you get the right one.

Good for you.

I know this guy pretty well and have spent my fair share of money in his store and then some. He gave me $100.00 off of what he had on the tag for the SBHH so I just couldn't say no to him.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Thank you everyone! - 03/31/2014 9:46 AM

You have chosen very well! Congratulations on the purchase! Well done! This revolver/caliber combination is very versatile.
Posted By: reflex264

Re: Thank you everyone! - 03/31/2014 1:22 PM

Good choice. Hard to beat. reflex264
Posted By: KRal

Re: Thank you everyone! - 03/31/2014 2:41 PM

G19,

I think you will be very happy with your new toy. I think the Ruger Hunters are the best "out of the box" hunting rigs you can get. If yours shoots like mine, I know you'll be happy.

Re: Thank you everyone! - 03/31/2014 5:48 PM

Originally Posted By: KRal
G19,

I think you will be very happy with your new toy. I think the Ruger Hunters are the best "out of the box" hunting rigs you can get. If yours shoots like mine, I know you'll be happy.

What kind of scope is that on top of your rig? I'll be needing one since my old eyes don't work to well.

Re: Thank you everyone! - 03/31/2014 5:56 PM

Originally Posted By: G19
 Originally Posted By: KRal
G19,

What kind of scope is that on top of your rig? I'll be needing one since my old eyes don't work to well.

You might wanna take a look at UltraDot. I like them better than scopes on intermediate range guns.

Re: Thank you everyone! - 03/31/2014 7:24 PM

+1 on the UltraDot

Perfectly good for hog/whitetail sized critters out to 100 yards or so.
Posted By: KRal

Re: Thank you everyone! - 04/01/2014 2:14 AM

G19,

The scope pictured is a 2x Burris. The hunter now has a 2x leupold. Either one is a great choice.
Posted By: Mad Dog 1954

Re: Thank you everyone! - 04/01/2014 11:33 AM

Great choice

Re: Thank you everyone! - 04/01/2014 4:52 PM

Thanks Kral.

Re: Thank you everyone! - 04/01/2014 4:54 PM

Originally Posted By: 98Redline
+1 on the UltraDot

I have one on one of my target guns. I didn't think something like that would hold up on a .44mag. I'll have to think about it.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Thank you everyone! - 04/01/2014 5:15 PM

Originally Posted By: 98Redline
+1 on the UltraDot

I have one on one of my target guns. I didn't think something like that would hold up on a .44mag. I'll have to think about it.

I have been beating the life out of my Ultradots for years and they are fine and I have subjected them to thousands of heavily recoiling rounds -- .475 Linebaugh, .454 Casull, .480 Ruger, .500 JRH, .500 Linebaugh, etc. They hold up really well!
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Thank you everyone! - 04/01/2014 6:02 PM

Good choice no matter what caliber you bought. The main thing is your on your way to one heck of a great time....

Re: Thank you everyone! - 04/02/2014 12:15 AM

UltraDot is "the" red dot to have on a hard kicking sixgun.

While I have not beaten mine nearly as hard as Whitworth, it has seen a steady diet of 300+gr loads over a full charge of H110 pretty much since the first day I bought the sight. I have broken one scope mount and think I am on the way to killing another, yet the MatchDot marches on.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Thank you everyone! - 04/02/2014 8:34 PM

If you'd prefer a scope to a dot sight, I highly recommend the Nikon Force XR 2.5-8x28mm. Great scope, especially for the price.
Posted By: cottonstalk

Re: Thank you everyone! - 04/04/2014 11:48 AM

Krals right you done good it may be the best "out of the box hunting rig" you can get. Congrats
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums