Handgunhunt

newbie 45 colt questions

Posted By: NorCal

newbie 45 colt questions - 04/24/2014 12:42 AM

Hello everyone, im looking to do some deer and maybe hog hunting with a handgun for the first time this fall. Im starting with a 45 colt. I've reloaded in the past and plan to for my colt.

The gun im looking to buy is the new model blackhawk with the bisely grip. Ruger model 0447 I believe. I was wondering if this gun has the same strength as the super blackhawks. I cant seem to find the super in 45 anywhere but honestly I dont know if it matters or if there is a differnce.

My other question is will the 45 work on hogs? I cant imagine it wont but since ive never used a handgun on hog or personally seen it done figured id askm

Please forgive my utter newbness lol but I gota start someplace and this is the forum I have seen.
Posted By: FAH

Re: newbie 45 colt questions - 04/24/2014 1:05 AM

Welcome to the Bisley .45 Colt world. Just remember that once you enter there's no turning back, and you won't want to. I have 3 Ruger Bisley's in .45 Colt in 3 different barrel lengths and enjoy them very much. With the proper loads and lots of practice the .45 Colt will take even bigger game than hogs. Check out John Linebaugh's writings on his website regarding this caliber this will be of great help to you. Don't be afraid to ask questions, there are no stupid questions especially concerning guns and loads.
Posted By: Franchise

Re: newbie 45 colt questions - 04/24/2014 1:09 AM

I will answer 1 question for you, yes, the 45 Colt will work for hogs. If you don't have hand loads yet, corbon, buffalo bore, & several others make great hunting loads for the 45 Colt.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: newbie 45 colt questions - 04/24/2014 1:25 AM

Welcome to HHM, NorCal! Everyone's got to start somewhere, and this site's the best place to ask questions.
Posted By: MrMcPorkchop

Re: newbie 45 colt questions - 04/24/2014 1:49 AM

I have a Blackhawk in 45 Colt and have killed 2 pigs with it. Handloaded a 320gr WFN LBT style bullet at 1,150 fps. One shot kills on both hogs. Bullet broke both shoulders, in one side and out the other with a nice 45 caliber hole. Both pigs went down quick. Use a well constructed bullet and do your part to make an accurate shot and the 45 Colt will kill deer and hogs very effectively.
Posted By: KRal

Re: newbie 45 colt questions - 04/24/2014 2:18 AM

I've only taken one hawg with the 45 colt, but it worked flawless.....

I was testing this load that I plan using on an up coming black bear hunt. I'm not sure how many deer I've killed with the 45 colt, but none could stand up to the 45. It'll serve you very well. The 45 does not come in Super Blackhawk; only the 44, but they're the same strength.
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: newbie 45 colt questions - 04/24/2014 3:22 AM

Welcome!!! Great choice in caliber!! Don't worry, it won't be your only one. And when anyone tells ya its cheaper to reload, look them dead in the eye and call them a liar cause you'll end up shooting up all the savings and then some!

This is a great place with a TON of good guys.
Posted By: SEAK

Re: newbie 45 colt questions - 04/24/2014 4:42 AM

Works well on hogs just like brown bear and elephant if you do your part.Yes your 45 will handle SBH loads which is only made in 44mag.With your pick you are good for life but you will want not need more gun ('S).
Posted By: NorCal

Re: newbie 45 colt questions - 04/24/2014 3:25 PM

good to hear the caliber wont leave me lacking, in a perfect world after a year or so i'd like to have some custom work done on it, a 5 shot cylinder and an octagon barrel would be a dream come true
Posted By: cfish2

Re: newbie 45 colt questions - 04/26/2014 11:53 AM

Remember the 454 casull, if I remember correctly, started life as a 45 being pushed beyond its limits. I love my bisley hunter in 45. With the right handload the 45 is capable of handling just about anything in N.America.
Posted By: rleprechaun

Re: newbie 45 colt questions - 04/29/2014 9:39 PM

I own 3 .45 Colts. I have owned 2 others. Been loading .45 Colt for 39 years. 300gr. Hornady XTP in Starline case with Cci large pistol prime, 21.5 gr. H-110. Do NOT use Rem. or Win. cases. Fed. are OK.
Posted By: rleprechaun

Re: newbie 45 colt questions - 04/30/2014 2:06 PM

OOps CCI large pistol MAGNUM primer
Posted By: Scienceguy

Re: newbie 45 colt questions - 05/08/2014 9:22 PM

Originally Posted By: MrMcPorkchop
I have a Blackhawk in 45 Colt and have killed 2 pigs with it. Handloaded a 320gr WFN LBT style bullet at 1,150 fps. One shot kills on both hogs. Bullet broke both shoulders, in one side and out the other with a nice 45 caliber hole. Both pigs went down quick. Use a well constructed bullet and do your part to make an accurate shot and the 45 Colt will kill deer and hogs very effectively.

I load up the exact same combo and I love it! Recoil is very pleasant and it is easy on the ears while hunting.
Posted By: MrMcPorkchop

Re: newbie 45 colt questions - 05/09/2014 2:34 AM

I could go up in speed some but seems unnecessary when it's plenty comfortable to shoot and doesn't blast my ears as bad, and will still break both shoulders of a hog and go right out the other side.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums