Handgunhunt

Thoughts on scope mount.....

Posted By: hangunnr

Thoughts on scope mount..... - 10/24/2005 9:26 PM

I'll be picking my Smith 460 up this week and have been pondering what scope mount to use. While I've been pleased with the products from EGW and Jack Weigand in the past I'm a little leery about using an extruded aluminum mount on such a hard kicker seeing as you only have three screws holding it all down. I plan on screwing a Burris 2-7 onto this gun eventually. I'd like suggestions on other mounts if you have them. I would prefer a steel Weaver type rail.

hangunnr
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: Thoughts on scope mount..... - 10/25/2005 3:50 AM

you might look at the warne mounts, you can buy them off the smith and wesson web sight for about a 100.00 or 145.00 with rings.
Posted By: Cossack

Re: Thoughts on scope mount..... - 10/25/2005 7:07 PM

I'd use 3 Burris Z rings on that Weaver base. You could even use 4 if the base cross-bolt slots allow for positioning that many on the 2X7 Burris (fine choice). Z rings are a fraction of the cost of 2 Warne rings and stronger. (I currently use both kinds). Millet also makes a ring that fits the Weaver base and is windage adjustable, I use 3 on my 45/70, but they are not as clean looking or strong as Burris.Weaver makes 4x4 rings, two seperate rings built into one.They would be least expensive. Have not tried the 4x4 but they look to have lots of surface for gripping. Come to think of it, that 460 is ported with likely not much harder kicking than a 15" Encore "06. One set of Z's are enough on that.
Posted By: osok

Re: Thoughts on scope mount..... - 10/25/2005 8:49 PM

I have a Weigand Base and 4 Magnum rings on my 500 Smith and have had no problems. If you want steel go with Warne.
Posted By: Tigger

Re: Thoughts on scope mount..... - 10/26/2005 1:21 AM

If you go with the Weigand base the Burris signature rings will not fit the rail. You need a ring that seperates at the base. I used a Weigand base and the Leupold verticle split rings on my 357 max revolver and like them. The are aluminum and will not mark the scope. I used three but with the weight of the revolver and the low recoil I thnik 2 would have held. For the 460 I thnik 3 would hold but 4 would be better and look good. Here is what the max looks like with 3.

Posted By: hangunnr

Re: Thoughts on scope mount..... - 10/27/2005 12:18 AM

It looks like I'll be going with the Warne mount. It appears to be what I'm wanting.

hangunnr
Posted By: keyman

Re: Thoughts on scope mount..... - 02/04/2006 10:43 PM

Only one way to go with that monster, SSK's T'SOB mount and the 3 rings they provide. The "T" stands for tough, and the SOB part is just what you think it is!!!

Keyman (non sibi sed partiae)
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums