Handgunhunt

Plains Pistol Hare and Casting Ball Over Fire

Posted By: pab1

Plains Pistol Hare and Casting Ball Over Fire - 10/21/2016 4:50 AM

I picked up a .530 round ball bag mold from Larry Callahan a couple years ago. Last night I decided that I would try it out today. I packed it along with a ladle, some lead, powder and a .54 cal Lyman Plains Pistol I built from a kit a few years back. I got a late start this morning but before long I was at one of my favorite camps. I made some shavings and lit them using a flint and steel with char cloth.

I put some lead in the ladle and set it on the fires base logs to melt.

When the lead was almost ready I pulled a piece of wood from the fire to heat the mold.

The balls aren't perfect (no fault of the mold)but they'll work. I used the sprue cutter to cut off the excess lead.

I headed out to see if I could get some meat for the pot with my Plains Pistol. Everywhere I went there were coyote tracks. It looked like they've been working this area pretty heavily for a couple days. It was overcast and good conditions for hare hunting.

I wasn't seeing any grouse or hares. Everything seemed to be holed up with the pressure from the coyotes. I did find a hare that one of the coyotes killed. It was whiter than any I've taken so far this year. With the spotty snow cover that might have been what did him in.

I covered a lot of ground and wasn't seeing anything but tracks. I climbed a ridge that flattened out on top. I was working around some cover and a hare darted out and disappeared over the edge of the ridge that I just climbed. As I started down the hill after him there were a couple patches of snow that he ran through telling me the direction he'd gone.

Finally I saw him through an opening in the cover. He was about 30 yards out quartering slightly away from me. At that angle and distance combined with the wide front sight of the Plains Pistol and low light in heavy cover, I wasn't going to try for a head shot. I put the sight just behind his shoulder and squeezed the trigger.

I saw him take a couple short hops to the left of the smoke cloud. I missed! He stopped behind a pine tree and I watched for a second before reloading to see if he would keep moving. Suddenly he reappeared from behind the tree kicking and flopping on the ground in death throes.

It turned out I hadn't missed. The ball broke his left front leg on entry, entered the rib cage and exited just past the sternum. It was a small snowshoe, about the size of a cottontail. I was very happy taking it not only with my Plains Pistol but with a ball I cast over the fire just a few hours earlier!

Posted By: dhom

Re: Plains Pistol Hare and Casting Ball Over Fire - 10/21/2016 9:46 AM

I'll bet that was fun and rewarding! Good job.
Posted By: REDHAWK1954

Re: Plains Pistol Hare and Casting Ball Over Fire - 10/21/2016 10:19 AM

Nicely done!
Posted By: 500WE

Re: Plains Pistol Hare and Casting Ball Over Fire - 10/21/2016 11:26 AM

Very Good!
Posted By: SChunter

Re: Plains Pistol Hare and Casting Ball Over Fire - 10/21/2016 12:50 PM

Nice work pab!
Posted By: Zee

Re: Plains Pistol Hare and Casting Ball Over Fire - 10/21/2016 1:06 PM

That's awesome!
Posted By: KRal

Re: Plains Pistol Hare and Casting Ball Over Fire - 10/21/2016 1:12 PM

Very nice, Phil!....a modern day Jeremiah Johnson.
Posted By: Dekker

Re: Plains Pistol Hare and Casting Ball Over Fire - 10/21/2016 1:28 PM

Way to go!, enjoyed the pics and write up.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Plains Pistol Hare and Casting Ball Over Fire - 10/21/2016 1:52 PM

Pretty cool!
Posted By: WiseGuy

Re: Plains Pistol Hare and Casting Ball Over Fire - 10/21/2016 1:54 PM

Very cool!
Posted By: thadf

Re: Plains Pistol Hare and Casting Ball Over Fire - 10/21/2016 2:18 PM

Now THAT is a good story!!

Congrats on actually doing it.
Posted By: karl

Re: Plains Pistol Hare and Casting Ball Over Fire - 10/21/2016 4:26 PM

Very nice story!
Posted By: Hawkeye

Re: Plains Pistol Hare and Casting Ball Over Fire - 10/21/2016 5:16 PM

Outstanding. I sold one of those pistols on here a while back. I use my Ruger Old Army revolver all of the time now so I didn't need it. I took one deer with mine. It was a .50
Great shooting. I know mine liked about 30 grn of 3F and round ball.
Good shooting and I bet that Wabbit will be tender.
I cast a lot of round balls from molds just like yours. I have a .45 RB, .62 RB and .72 RB mold like yours.
The .62 is for my Hawken Flinter, full stock and the .72 is for a Smooth bore English fowler.
Mike
Posted By: mart

Re: Plains Pistol Hare and Casting Ball Over Fire - 10/21/2016 5:53 PM

Very cool.
Posted By: Craig44

Re: Plains Pistol Hare and Casting Ball Over Fire - 10/21/2016 6:55 PM

Nice! Your kit looks so much better than the factory finished pistol. Makes me want to refinish mine.
Posted By: REDHAWK1954

Re: Plains Pistol Hare and Casting Ball Over Fire - 10/21/2016 6:59 PM

I have to agree! Your pistol is beautiful!
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Plains Pistol Hare and Casting Ball Over Fire - 10/21/2016 10:32 PM

Now that's old school cool.
Posted By: mingokid

Re: Plains Pistol Hare and Casting Ball Over Fire - 10/22/2016 12:19 AM

Well done!
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: Plains Pistol Hare and Casting Ball Over Fire - 10/22/2016 12:32 AM

Pretty cool man !!!
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: Plains Pistol Hare and Casting Ball Over Fire - 10/22/2016 1:38 AM

Very well done!!
Posted By: Mark Hampton

Re: Plains Pistol Hare and Casting Ball Over Fire - 10/22/2016 1:50 AM

Most excellent -- way too cool.
Posted By: Ramjet-SS

Re: Plains Pistol Hare and Casting Ball Over Fire - 10/22/2016 2:07 AM

That very cool and a great story.
Posted By: junebug

Re: Plains Pistol Hare and Casting Ball Over Fire - 10/22/2016 2:55 AM

Great writeup and pictures. The .54 is my favorite hunting gun.

Re: Plains Pistol Hare and Casting Ball Over Fire - 10/22/2016 5:13 AM

Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted By: Hawkeye
Outstanding. I sold one of those pistols on here a while back. I use my Ruger Old Army revolver all of the time now so I didn't need it. I took one deer with mine. It was a .50
Great shooting. I know mine liked about 30 grn of 3F and round ball.

They're fun guns and very accurate. On this hunt I used 25 grains of 3F Goex black powder. I've used it to take grouse and cottontails on previous hunts. Its also very accurate with 45 grains of 3F Goex. The 45 grain load averages 890 fps with a 224 grain .530 ball.

Re: Plains Pistol Hare and Casting Ball Over Fire - 10/22/2016 5:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Craig44
Nice! Your kit looks so much better than the factory finished pistol. Makes me want to refinish mine.

Thanks! I'm happy with how it turned out. I used Laurel Mountain Forge browning solution on the metal parts. I don't care for shiny brass so I used Birchwood Casey Brass Black on those parts. I antiqued the stock using a trick I learned on a flintlock building tutorial by Mike Brooks. After staining and applying a few hand rubbed coats of finish, I coated it with flat black spray paint. After it dried I removed the paint with 0000 steel wool, only leaving a small amount of paint in recessed areas. Then I applied a few more coats of finish.
Posted By: Craig44

Re: Plains Pistol Hare and Casting Ball Over Fire - 10/22/2016 2:18 PM

Thanks for the tip!
;\)
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums