Handgunhunt

Looking at New Hunting Gun

Posted By: rougerocco

Looking at New Hunting Gun - 03/23/2017 8:38 PM

I have a Ruger .480 now, Due to an injury I have trouble with the recoil. (Long story on that) But my hands are more sensitive then before. Just not comfortable shooting with padded gloves. Looking to get a .44 mag, most of my friends have them and reload. It is easier to get ammo for the .44 then.480 too. I would like to shoot more but it becomes painful. So the question is What gun? My budget is around $1000 or less. I have been shooting Double action guns for 35 plus yrs. But am open to anything. T/C are interesting too.... GO!
Posted By: AK hgunner1

Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun - 03/23/2017 9:18 PM

T/C - Super Redhawk- Smith's.
Depending what critters you are hunting you my want to give the GP100 a look.

44 you can load down to a more comfortable level.
A .357 you can load hot and still be manageable.

I think I am up to around 5 1/2 cents worth of advice now...

Charlie

Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun - 03/23/2017 9:38 PM

Sorry I plan on Deer and Hogs
Posted By: casy

Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun - 03/23/2017 10:11 PM

I would try getting up with some of your buddies and try out their 44s be handy if someone has different loads u can try. That way you are not buying something you can't shoot comfortably. Heck one of them might trade. If no buds close call local gun ranges. Some will let you rent/try guns. A good 44 like redhawk (heavy revolver) might work.
Good luck...casy

Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun - 03/23/2017 10:53 PM

x2

And if that don't work the old .357 will fill your need.
Up to 180 grainers will put the hurtin' on what you are hunting.
Posted By: abner

Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun - 03/24/2017 12:12 AM

What about the best of both worlds. Get a T/C in 44 mag with a brake to help with recoil. That way you could also have the option of different barrels in other calibers.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun - 03/24/2017 4:17 AM

Do you handload? The 44 Special might be worth considering.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun - 03/24/2017 4:39 AM

Originally Posted By: abner
What about the best of both worlds. Get a T/C in 44 mag with a brake to help with recoil. That way you could also have the option of different barrels in other calibers.

X2
Posted By: jamautry

Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun - 03/24/2017 5:07 PM

I have a Ruger 357 maximum that has proven very deadly on hogs and deer. I use 180 and 200 gr bullets. Not a lot of recoil, although it is loud so hearing protection is a must. Another option is 41 mag. Loaded with 265 gr cast performance ammo at 1100 fps or so it is very mild compared to other big bores.
Posted By: jamautry

Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun - 03/24/2017 5:10 PM

Don't forget about the 44 special. I use more 44 specials than 44 mags these days. I used to be all about the heaviest bullets at the highest velocity and completly ignored the 44 special but a 240-265 grain cast bullet traveling around 1100-1200 fps is very deadly.
Posted By: mart

Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun - 03/24/2017 5:39 PM

Another vote for the 44 Special. In a 5.5 inch flattop Bisley you can go from mild to heavy. It might be boring but I could carry that handgun with the Lyman 429421 the rest of my life and be well heeled, even for Alaska. If you wanted a heavy bullet to keep things interesting, an LBT WLN 280-300 grain would serve you well.

Of course as was noted a couple posts back, you couldn't go wrong with a 357 Max or a 41 magnum for your stated uses.

Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun - 03/24/2017 8:33 PM

Yep...
Posted By: Ernie

Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun - 03/24/2017 10:30 PM

Go with a 357 Mag 158 XTP HP's for Deer and smaller pigs or the Swift bullet for bigger/tougher stuff.
Easy to shoot.
Posted By: FA834ME

Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun - 03/24/2017 10:46 PM

My vote would be for the .44 mag Redhawk. Double action, 6 rounds,180 to 300+ grain bullets loaded up or down to match your comfort level or game you are chasing. I like the 7.5 in barrel for heft and sight radius. Easily scoped if irons don't work for you.
Posted By: jsh

Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun - 03/25/2017 12:07 AM

It sounds like you are looking for a 41 mag.
I was in search of a 375 super mag. After a bit of reading and listening I was told numerous times to try the 41. A new favorite here.
Jeff

Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun - 03/25/2017 6:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Ernie
Go with a 357 Mag 158 XTP HP's for Deer and smaller pigs or the Swift bullet for bigger/tougher stuff.
Easy to shoot.

x2

Ernie must be trying to get on my good side.Wait..... Ernie was never on my bad side.

A properly loaded .357 and good shot placement will get 'er done for sure. I use four inch .357's loaded to almost max loads and although they do bark and bite on the opposite end they are easy on the hands. Especially if you have double carpal tunnel like me.
Posted By: sw282

Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun - 03/25/2017 8:35 AM

1873--US Army wanted a handgun cartridge that could go thru

a horse @ 100yds and kill an lndian on the other side... The

Colt 45 was born... 255gr conical lead bullet @ 850fps...

150yrs later l think it can still do the job. Likely shooting

ponies/riders on the Reservation is illegal now.. l think it'll

most any Whitetail deer... Even some of those 250-300 pounders

in Upper Mich

Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun - 03/25/2017 11:36 AM

Originally Posted By: sw282
1873--US Army wanted a handgun cartridge that could go thru

a horse @ 100yds and kill an lndian on the other side... The

Colt 45 was born... 255gr conical lead bullet @ 850fps...

150yrs later l think it can still do the job. Likely shooting

ponies/riders on the Reservation is illegal now.. l think it'll

most any Whitetail deer... Even some of those 250-300 pounders

in Upper Mich

Lol don't see too many 300 lb bucks anymore! but I was thinking about a.45 My friend is selling a Vaquero. Just not sure how far a .45 would shoot out too?
Posted By: KRal

Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun - 03/25/2017 2:11 PM

Originally Posted By: rougerocco
 Originally Posted By: sw282
Just not sure how far a .45 would shoot out too?

Just depends on how far you tilt the barrel up.
;\)

If you're leaning toward a revolver, most consider a revolver a 100 yards and closer hunting weapon. I'm by no means saying it's not capable of further ranges in the right hands and correct bullet. The 45 colt, with proper bullet and load, will shoot length ways through a whitetail at 100 yards.

Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun - 03/25/2017 2:35 PM

Originally Posted By: KRal
[quote=sw282]
Just not sure how far a .45 would shoot out too?

Just depends on how far you tilt the barrel up.
;\)

LOL I almost posted something about that!
I keep getting drawn into Ruger .44
Now I need to decide on SBH Bisley or SRH again? decisions decisions!!
Posted By: junebug

Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun - 03/25/2017 9:45 PM

One of each. You can never have too many!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
remember. HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS WINS!!!!!!
PROUD MEMBER OF THE ENABLERS UNION.

Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun - 03/25/2017 10:47 PM

Good one junebug....
Posted By: Ernie

Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun - 03/25/2017 11:12 PM

Originally Posted By: AK hgunner1
 Originally Posted By: Ernie
Easy to shoot.

x2

Ernie must be trying to get on my good side.Wait..... Ernie was never on my bad side.

A properly loaded .357 and good shot placement will get 'er done for sure. I use four inch .357's loaded to almost max loads and although they do bark and bite on the opposite end they are easy on the hands. Especially if you have double carpal tunnel like me.

I just use my 357 Mag for steel, pd's, deer, and antelope.
Easy stuff to kill.
After some more extended distance steel shooting, I am going to have my FR barrel shortened or just get another one with a shorter barrel......

Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun - 03/26/2017 10:51 PM

Well I might have a new gun, My friend has a Ruger Bisley .45 he has been trying to sell. I can get it cheap! I am going to the range this week to shoot it.
Posted By: Yetiman

Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun - 03/27/2017 2:46 PM

Another thing to consider is some custom grips.

I have a 44 mag Bisley Hunter that I have been using for a while now. I also have a SRH in 44 mag and always found it more comfortable to shoot hotter loads with the Hogue Tamers on the SRH.

Last month I sent my Bisley gripframe to Jack Huntington (JRH Advanced Gunsmithing) to have custom grips made and for his frame modification which removes some metal from the frame for a more hand friendly fit.

You submit a tracing of your hand with the gripframe like you would for a set of Herret grips, and the panels are made to fit.

The work was done FAST (2 1/2 weeks door to door) and the results were surprising. The other day I was shooting the Bisley back to back with my SRH using the same loads and the Bisley is now more comfortable than the Hogues on the SRH.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun - 03/27/2017 2:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Yetiman

I have a 44 mag Bisley Hunter that I have been using for a while now. I also have a SRH in 44 mag and always found it more comfortable to shoot hotter loads with the Hogue Tamers on the SRH.

Last month I sent my Bisley gripframe to Jack Huntington (JRH Advanced Gunsmithing) to have custom grips made and for his frame modification which removes some metal from the frame for a more hand friendly fit.

You submit a tracing of your hand with the gripframe like you would for a set of Herret grips, and the panels are made to fit.

The work was done FAST (2 1/2 weeks door to door) and the results were surprising. The other day I was shooting the Bisley back to back with my SRH using the same loads and the Bisley is now more comfortable than the Hogues on the SRH.

Yup. I've been preaching this for years and it is so true. Here is my old .500 JRH Bisley's custom grips with fame mods by JRH.

Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun - 03/27/2017 8:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Whitworth
 Originally Posted By: Yetiman

Yup. I've been preaching this for years and it is so true. Here is my old .500 JRH Bisley's custom grips with fame mods by JRH.

Sweet Looking!!!

Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun - 03/29/2017 2:54 PM

So I went to the range and shot the Bisley .45
WOW! smooth comfortable and hitting a small group off hand too!!
My friend is giving me a sweet deal on it too. I might have to get a SRH Bisley hunter .44 too!! You guys started something here....
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun - 03/29/2017 3:05 PM

So I went to the range and shot the Bisley .45
WOW! smooth comfortable and hitting a small group off hand too!!
My friend is giving me a sweet deal on it too. I might have to get a SRH Bisley hunter .44 too!! You guys started something here....

Haha! Excellent! Happy to hear that you like the revolver and it seems to like you!
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums