Handgunhunt

A little Coyote hunting

Posted By: karl

A little Coyote hunting - 01/22/2018 3:19 PM

I was surprised at the number of coyotes I saw on game cameras this summer so I decided to do something about that come winter. I spend a couple hours in the deer stand Sunday with a caller and managed to catch this one passing by.
it was a 120 yard shot with factory 223 and the Fiocchi 50gn V-max load right behind the shoulders with a 1" exit. DRT

Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: A little Coyote hunting - 01/22/2018 3:23 PM

Good shooting! I'm about to start after them, myself.
Posted By: 45MAN

Re: A little Coyote hunting - 01/22/2018 5:51 PM

GOOD SHOOTING. COYOTES CAN BE HELL ON DEER, IF YOU GET THE CHANCE, SHOOT 'EM. BY THE WAY A RENOWNED GAME BIOLOGIST/WILDLIFE MANAGER RECENTLY TOLD ME THAT RACCOONS ARE REALLY, REALLY BAD NEST PREDATORS AND HELL ON QUAIL AND TURKEY POPULATIONS. I HAD LAID OFF OF THEM AND MY TURKEYS ALMOST DISAPPEARRED. GOING UP TO THE RANCH THIS WEEK AND AM GOING TO START WORKING ON RACCOONS AGAIN.

Re: A little Coyote hunting - 01/22/2018 7:30 PM

45MAN
What's your preferred coon hunting method? I've seen a few on camera and a few tracks, but nothing in person.

This is my first time out after coyotes. Hunted fox a few times when I was young. I can't say I'm convinced that the caller worked as this one came by when I was taking a break.
Posted By: 45MAN

Re: A little Coyote hunting - 01/22/2018 8:19 PM

I HAVE NEVER HUNTED 'COONS, JUST BEEN RESPONSIBLE FOR A LOT OF THEM PASSING. HAVE SHOT SOME OFF OF TRAPS AND OTHERS....WELL....MAYBE NOT APPROPRIATE TO DISCUSS ON THIS FORUM.
Posted By: longhunter

Re: A little Coyote hunting - 01/22/2018 9:58 PM

Me and my grandson float the river looking for den trees then set up and call them in, we use a Marlin .17hmr for dispatching them. Picked up a Taurus Tracker in .17hmr and as soon as I get over this bout of flu gonna get out and see how it does.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: A little Coyote hunting - 01/22/2018 10:11 PM

you busted her good...........
Posted By: ruger4570

Re: A little Coyote hunting - 01/23/2018 1:55 AM

Great going. My 12" 223 Encore loves those Fiocchi's with the 50 grain V-Max. I bought a bunch when Midway ran them on sale a few years ago.

What caller do you use? I have an ICOtec wireless that I use along with mouth calls.

Re: A little Coyote hunting - 01/23/2018 2:40 AM

I just picked up an ICOtec 320 with the decoy. Will be the first to admit I'm new at this, but having fun learning.
I like them fiocchi loads. MOA or better At less then $0.40 a shot on sale is hard to beat
Posted By: pab1

Re: A little Coyote hunting - 01/23/2018 6:35 AM

Great shooting! Congrats!
Posted By: curioushooter

Re: A little Coyote hunting - 01/24/2018 3:02 AM

One of the things I like best about my Contender is that it is light and small enough to throw over my back so I can use a chainsaw on the front, but accurate enough off a fence post or log to nail wary Coyotes. I like my 32-20 barrel for this, and it works. I've never called them (well, except by unwrapping a ham sandwich). What do you use? Maybe I should get more aggressive on them, too.
Posted By: Rangersedge

Re: A little Coyote hunting - 01/24/2018 3:59 AM

Way back when Dennis Kirk had a Coon Puppies tape that worked well on coons.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums