Handgunhunt

OK...I'm smiling!! Are you happy?!

Posted By: Dan B.

OK...I'm smiling!! Are you happy?! - 12/07/2005 4:04 PM

I always get growled at from you guys about not showing my pearly whites...so here you go!!

Shot this gooner this AM w/ the .30 Herrett at about 40 yards. 130gr Hornady SP and RL-7 did the job. He's a 13pt, split brow tine on the left, and the start of a drop tine on the left side just behind the webbed points...a little more and he would be a 14pt. Not a big rack...all the ponts are short and stubby but decent mass. Not getting him mounted...not really my thing...already gave the rack to my grandfather...he likes big antlers.

Sorry for the pic size if you are on dial up.

Posted By: Fry22

Re: OK...I'm smiling!! Are you happy?! - 12/07/2005 4:11 PM

congrats on that nice one.
Posted By: pab1

Re: OK...I'm smiling!! Are you happy?! - 12/07/2005 4:12 PM

Congratulations! That's a nice buck! How much expansion did you get with the Hornady?

Re: OK...I'm smiling!! Are you happy?! - 12/07/2005 4:14 PM

Enough to kill him! Not a bunch...it was a hard raking shot...entered the hip and exited the shoulder. They are going about 2150fps...last year I used them from the 30-30AI...going 2425fps they expanded great.
Posted By: GrnMntMan

Re: OK...I'm smiling!! Are you happy?! - 12/07/2005 4:18 PM

Nice buck!
Id be smiling too.
LOL

I have been here about a week and already see your a killing machine with the handgun!
Very encouraging....
Posted By: pab1

Re: OK...I'm smiling!! Are you happy?! - 12/07/2005 4:20 PM

That amount of penetration is impressive. I have been looking at a couple used 30 Herrett's around town. I might have to pick up a new toy.
Posted By: JDJHNTR

Re: OK...I'm smiling!! Are you happy?! - 12/07/2005 4:22 PM

Dang Dan!!!! Don't you ever work?

Congrates on another fine handgun trophy! Love those snow pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep em' coming..........

Re: OK...I'm smiling!! Are you happy?! - 12/07/2005 4:25 PM

I'm having a great year! Harvested my first turkey with a handgun...the pic is on the bragging board...big hen at 229yards. Got two youth hutners their first deer (using rifles)...harvested two does that were both my longest shots with a handgun...first was 238yds and second was 270yds. Now this fella.....great year!!

Randy...I've not worked since before Thanksgiving!! hehe!! I'll go back on Monday... I make my own schedule so it's not too bad.
Posted By: Larry in SD

Re: OK...I'm smiling!! Are you happy?! - 12/07/2005 5:06 PM

Congrats Dan, way to go Bud. Nice Buck !!!

I would say it sounds like you are having a great year to say the least.

Larry
Posted By: Ernie

Re: OK...I'm smiling!! Are you happy?! - 12/07/2005 5:36 PM

You look better when you smile
Congrats again on a nice shot and a nice looking buck.

I have not seen a thing since Kristen filled her tags

I told her about your post that you were trying to beat her distance shot on deer. She just smiled, and said, "Just wait till next year."

Sounds like you have a challenge going now Dan
Posted By: nmhunter

Re: OK...I'm smiling!! Are you happy?! - 12/07/2005 6:48 PM

way to go dan b. great season!!!
nmhunter
Posted By: GonHuntin

Re: OK...I'm smiling!! Are you happy?! - 12/07/2005 6:50 PM

Looks more like a snarl than a smile!

Congrats on the nice buck......fill us in on the details of the hunt.......did you get him while still hunting???
Posted By: KYODE

Re: OK...I'm smiling!! Are you happy?! - 12/07/2005 8:36 PM

nice buck dan...thumbs up! mmmmmm....the smile is better.....

don't have a single buck mounted yet myself. not my thing either unless it was just monsterous. i save the horns fer a pile. except this last one i did skin the head myself n hung it up in a shed. i'm gonna try clean it up for a european type mount......or at least an ol dead deer skull n horns to have around.
Posted By: ccdhowell

Re: OK...I'm smiling!! Are you happy?! - 12/07/2005 11:41 PM

I guess the Herrett won. Nice looking deer, interesting rack.
Posted By: hangunnr

Re: OK...I'm smiling!! Are you happy?! - 12/08/2005 12:11 AM

Darn Dan, during the week I spent out there hunting if you'd combine all the antler I saw on perhaps 10 different bucks you still wouldn't have what you have there. Very nice deer!!

hangunnr
Posted By: bisleyfan44

Re: OK...I'm smiling!! Are you happy?! - 12/08/2005 1:30 AM

stubby points or not, that is a nice buck!! way to go... now go get ya another one before the luck runs out. the force is with ya.
Posted By: Gman

Re: OK...I'm smiling!! Are you happy?! - 12/08/2005 3:20 AM

Thats a fine buck and a great pic. Congrats on a good year!
Posted By: Gascheck

Re: OK...I'm smiling!! Are you happy?! - 12/09/2005 3:25 AM

Dan,

Great buck! Horns have been a little lean in my part of PA. Still have Saturday though. I've been using a 10" 30 Herret also and I'm curious of what kind of velocity your are getting from your load. I've been using 27g of IMR 4198 with a 125 Nosler BT for a velocity average of 1895 fps

Re: OK...I'm smiling!! Are you happy?! - 12/09/2005 4:31 AM

I load 26gr RL-7 w/ the Hornady 130gr SP...I posted earlier that it was getting just over 2100fps...that was wrong. It's an even 2000fps and consistent single digit SD's. Accuracy is S-U-P-E-R!! Three shot clusters under .75" are regular w/ a 4X Tasco. 26.5gr RL-7 was also very accurate but I had the bullets seated long for that charge and wanted to seat them a little deeper so I backed the charge off a bit and it still shoots wonderful.

Mark (GonHuntin)...not much for details. I was still hunting a honey hole behind my grandparents church and near the intersection of two "major" (for the area) highways...one four lane and the other a two lane. There is a lot of coal truck traffic noise which really helped cover any noise I made. Getting toward the end of the sneak and only about 200 yards from the truck when I spot a leg move in the grapevines and apple trees...then I see a tail wag. He was facing nearly straight away from me. Good thing he was angling up the bank or I never would have had a shot...entrance was just over the left hip, through the gut and into the chest then out the shoulder. I just saw the beams and knew he would have enough points to be legal...needs at least three per side. Never knew he had nearly 14pts on his head.
Posted By: GonHuntin

Re: OK...I'm smiling!! Are you happy?! - 12/09/2005 1:11 PM

Dan

Thanks for the details of the hunt......I always admire someone who can take a mature buck by still hunting....ESPECIALLY with a handgun!!! Around here, there are so many crunchy oak leaves that it either has to be raining or the wind must be blowing hard to even have a chance at still hunting......
Posted By: Tigger

Re: OK...I'm smiling!! Are you happy?! - 12/15/2005 2:03 PM

Quote:

Looks more like a snarl than a smile!

That's a snear on his face!!

Good job Dan, and a great season for ya!!!
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums