Handgunhunt

We're overrun with coyotes

Posted By: Chance Weldon

We're overrun with coyotes - 12/10/2018 10:58 PM

Last week, my sister and I had an opportunity to hunt together. We decided to go to the hay bale blind I set up on a hilltop overlooking a 14 acre hay field. Considering we've been seeing far less deer movement this year, especially in the food plots, we figured it would be our best bet for seeing anything. Shortly after shooting light, Summer spotted movement near the opposite treeline, over 300 yards away. As I glassed the area, I saw that it was a coyote. I positioned my 300 Win Mag Encore on one hay bale while she readied her 270 chambered Weatherby Vanguard on the other bale. I attempted to make a distress call, but the coyote didn't act as if he heard it. Eventually, he wandered somewhat closer and I ranged him. Due to the difficulty of getting a reading on a small target in an open field, I got readings from 230 to 270 yards. I directed her where to aim at what I thought was the distance and readied my Encore, watching him through the scope.

Following her gunshot, I saw through the scope a puff of dust blow upward from behind the coyote, and it took off running. I guess I thought it was hit and didn't attempt to take a shot. However, my sister tracked it with her rifle and fired a second round before it vanished into the woods. We searched the woods but didn't find it, or any blood. I think he was further than I thought, and Summer shot just under him as a result.

That's the fourth coyote we've seen while hunting this year alone: one during muzzleloader season, the one I killed, the one I saw the next day, and now this one. I've had dozens of trail camera pictures of them over the past few months. Additionally, after talking with one of them last week, I've learned several of the neighbors have reported seeing them far more often this year, as well, so I know it's not just me.

It's been a while since I've hunted coyotes during deer season, but I'm thinking I'm going to have to start carrying my AR and coyote call with me when I go.
Posted By: Willicd76

Re: We're overrun with coyotes - 12/11/2018 2:23 AM

I see 4 a day here!😂
Posted By: billyb

Re: We're overrun with coyotes - 12/15/2018 10:04 PM

I have hunted the river swamp here all of my life. Seen very few coyotes in the past. Joined a club and just today have heard 2 packs within a few hundred yards of me. No one is seeing any deer so I am wondering if the yotes have thinned the herd.
Posted By: AlanF

Re: We're overrun with coyotes - 12/23/2018 12:14 PM

They are very effective predators.
Posted By: bscott

Re: We're overrun with coyotes - 12/31/2018 3:46 AM

I to have be invaded by these dirty scoundrels! Game camera caught them in the act cold busted! Have to say 1 of the 2 is just gorgeous - Jet Black! Wish i have a way to post a picture of on here.
Posted By: JDK

Re: We're overrun with coyotes - 12/31/2018 6:03 AM

I've never heard of a black coyote. I wonder if it's melanistic? Would be quite a cool trophy!
Posted By: bscott

Re: We're overrun with coyotes - 12/31/2018 6:41 AM

I have the pic just don't know how to download it to these particular thread.
Posted By: PsTaN

Re: We're overrun with coyotes - 01/01/2019 1:37 AM

Here's a picture of a black coyote I got last year. Have not seen it since.
Posted By: JDK

Re: We're overrun with coyotes - 01/01/2019 3:26 AM

You sure that's not a chupacabra
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums