Handgunhunt

Quill pigs

Posted By: Spencer

Quill pigs - 04/09/2019 2:02 PM

I have a Black Mouth Cur that tangled with a porcupine a few years back. He learned his lesson and has become an amazing porcupine hound. Every time we are in an area with porcupines he finds them and barks to let me know where they are. Even if they are in a tree or under a root ball.

Porcupines here are a major nuisance. You can shoot them 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. No bag limit, all that is required is a small game license

Took the beagles up to the Tug Hill Plateau to run some snowshoe hare while the training season was still open. My cur dog found 5 porcupines that I dispatched. Never did find a Hare track but it was still an awesome day out with the hounds.

Rango, the quill pig wonder

Quill pigs den tree, look at the size of the crap pile

Gratuitous gun shot.

Ruger Single Six, .22 mag, steel ERH and grip frame, SBH style hammer. My woods bumming gun whether on foot or horseback.

Couple pics of the beagles on the hunt.

Posted By: Randy M

Re: Quill pigs - 04/09/2019 2:20 PM

That's awesome. I love watching dogs work and that type of hunting looks like a lot of fun!
Posted By: Russell

Re: Quill pigs - 04/09/2019 2:33 PM

Sounds like a good day!
Posted By: Sawfish

Re: Quill pigs - 04/09/2019 7:51 PM

I heard they were good to eat but never had the opportunity.
Posted By: RH Custom Guns

Re: Quill pigs - 04/17/2019 9:59 PM

Looks like a lot of fun! I don't think I've been to a ranch house in my neck of the woods that doesn't have a picture of a dog or two with quills in its face.
Posted By: 45MAN

Re: Quill pigs - 04/18/2019 1:13 AM

SAW A PORCUPINE YESTERDAY, MY WIFE WAS WITH ME, HAD TO ACT LIKE WE NEVER SHOOT QUILL PIGS HERE AT THE HIGHPOINT.
Posted By: RSW

Re: Quill pigs - 04/18/2019 1:22 AM

We don't have any quill pigs but it sounds like fun!
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Quill pigs - 04/18/2019 1:59 AM

Spencer, Looks like you and your doggies had a great day... I remember hunting Pennsylvania and being told to shoot any porky I saw. Saw a stepped plywood box blind that was chewed to hell by them and a small woods cabin that had thin three foot sheet metal wrapped around the building to stop them. never knew they were that destructive...Also used a 22 mag...
Posted By: Spencer

Re: Quill pigs - 04/18/2019 2:28 PM

They are extremely destructive. Even when not near civilization, the damage they do to trees is incredible!!!

Posted By: sixshot

Re: Quill pigs - 04/18/2019 6:05 PM

Years ago I used to work with a guy that said every winter when he got laid off that the Forest Service hired him to snow shoe or ski into the back country & kill porcupines. He had no idea how many he had killed over the years but said it was a lot.

Dick
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums