Handgunhunt

375 JDJ scope

Posted By: weatherbyhunter

375 JDJ scope - 04/03/2006 6:43 PM

I'm looking to put a higher powered scope on my 375 jdj encore(need more then 2x for deer). It's got the T'SOB mount but no brake so don't know if a good 2-6x or 2-7x will hold up.What kind of scopes do you recomend for this hand cannon? Thanks in advance for any information.
Posted By: Ed P 6989

Re: 375 JDJ scope - 04/03/2006 8:13 PM

For the money, the Bushnell 3200 elite is hard to beat. I would get it with the fire-fly reticles.
Posted By: hntrjohn

Re: 375 JDJ scope - 04/03/2006 9:39 PM

Quote:

I would get it with the fire-fly reticles.

I recently read an article on that Firefly reticle and the author stated that the outer crosshairs are so thick and bright that its hard to aquire the center crosshairs. I was considering purchasing that scope until I read that article. I think I would just spend a bit extra and get a GOOD light gathering optic. Anyone using the Firefly that can give an opinion?
Posted By: bobhanson1

Re: 375 JDJ scope - 04/03/2006 10:13 PM

I'd go with a Leupold variable power as they seem to handle abuse pretty well (including being dropped ten feet onto a rock!) Keep in mind that at the higher magnification you'll lose field of view and light gathering ability which can make shooting in dim light problematic. I like to use Leupolds 4x fixed power on most of my deer guns and leave the variable for the varmint pistols.
Posted By: Gary

Re: 375 JDJ scope - 04/03/2006 10:28 PM

I guess it depends on what & where you'll be hunting. I have a 3x9 Burris on mine and feel that it does pretty well. Of course that scope has been discontinued but the 3x12 is nearly the same size. Burris has a new 2x7 lighted reticle out that looks very nice and I would seriously consider that one. You really can't go wrong with Leupold, Burris, or the 3200 in optics, IMHO. I'm biased in that I prefer a higher powered scope than many others.
Posted By: Dan B.

Re: 375 JDJ scope - 04/03/2006 11:40 PM

I'm with Gary. I too use a 3-12 Burris on every gun that I can afford it on! I've found that as long as a quality optic is mounted CORRECTLY it will usually hold up to about anything. My .375JDJ wears a 4X Loopy...just because that's what was laying in the safe without a home at the time I bought it.
Posted By: GrnMntMan

Re: 375 JDJ scope - 04/04/2006 12:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I would get it with the fire-fly reticles.

I recently read an article on that Firefly reticle and the author stated that the outer crosshairs are so thick and bright that its hard to aquire the center crosshairs. I was considering purchasing that scope until I read that article. I think I would just spend a bit extra and get a GOOD light gathering optic. Anyone using the Firefly that can give an opinion?

John,
I disagree with that.
I own one and I have found the reticle to be excellent.
Of coarse if you put a flashlite up to your scope and "charge" it up 2 minutes before last light then maybe it will seem to bright.
Your suppose to do this 30 minute or so before last light so they have a dim illumination, just enough to see against that dark woods line or whatever.
OR
Dont charge them at all and leave them black like regular reticles...

JMO
Posted By: Hawkeye

Re: 375 JDJ scope - 04/04/2006 11:21 AM

I have one of the SSK barrels without a break in the 375JDJ and I had a Burris 2x7 BPlex on it with TSOB three rings for two years and about 200 rounds of 270grn bullets. I got a XP100 and took the Burris 2x7 off the 375JDJ and put it on the XP. I purchased a Bushnell Elite 2x6 and it has been on the 375JDJ for three years now and I'm shooting pretty hot 260grn Accubonds and 270grn Hornadys. Never had one problem with the scope moving. I like the Burris because of the warranty they have. The Elite is also a very good and clear scope.
Both served me well in the woods and out in the open at dawn and dusk. Never tried the lighted reticles but I'm thinking of borrowing my buddies TC lighted scope and trying it before I buy one.
On the Firefly scope, my buddy has one on his Encore rifle and he also found if you will use your flashlight about 30 minutes or so before you need the lighted reticle you seem to be able to see the game better past the reticle.
Just mount it well and you shouldn't have any problems.

Mike
Posted By: RobR

Re: 375 JDJ scope - 04/07/2006 9:39 PM

I have three rings which I lapped on my .375 JDJ. The Leopold 2.5-8xs I had on it have held up well. It ate both my Burris 1.5-4X and 2-7X, in that it knocked out the parallax rather seriously. Think the 3-12X is a much better built scope.
Personally, I think the 2-6X Bushnell is one of the most abuse resistant scopes out there. That is what mine wears now.

Have put about 1000 rounds through my barrel.
Posted By: JD HHI 6092

Re: 375 JDJ scope - 04/08/2006 12:25 AM

My 375JDJ wears a "cheapo" Simmons Gold Medal 2.5x7. Been on there since I bought the barrel. My 2.5x7 Burris was trashed on my 309 JDJ that scope is now on my 223 barrel. I've heard the Burris scopes are built a lot tougher now.
Posted By: RickyP

Re: 375 JDJ scope - 04/08/2006 1:22 AM

I have several T/c 2.5-7 scopes and love them I even have one of the lighted ones and it works well the very few times I ahve used it.
Posted By: Vance in AK.

Re: 375 JDJ scope - 04/08/2006 2:29 AM

I've got an old TC "recoil proof" 3x on my .444 Marlin barrel (I think that's a 375 JDJ case necked up to .429 ) & I've fired several hundered rounds of stuff in the neighborhood of 270 gr @ 2100 fps with no problems.
Posted By: Ed P 6989

Re: 375 JDJ scope - 04/08/2006 7:24 PM

A friend of mine put a new 3-9 Burris on his 35 Whelen. After 15 rounds the reticles were gone. Sent it back and the reticles where repaired. Put it back on the 35 Whelen and after only 5 rounds the reticles were gone again. We haven't shot it since he got it back. Even if it is fixed for good, this is unaceptable for a new $300 plus scope.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums