Handgunhunt

Pistol scopes

Posted By: Hac

Pistol scopes - 11/05/2006 1:04 PM

Hi everyone,I have been looking for a pistol scope for my encore.I can find none out there with a objective bigger then 32m. So I thought why not a intermeiate eye relief rifle scope,and still can find none bigger then 32m in fact most are 28m.Does anyone know of any company that makes a LER scope bigger then 32m? Thanks
Posted By: KYODE

Re: Pistol scopes - 11/05/2006 1:56 PM

none i know of......but

what caliber and future use?
Posted By: GrnMntMan

Re: Pistol scopes - 11/05/2006 3:01 PM

Lots of folks use rifle scope on smaller cal/lower recoil pistols. I have a Simmons 6.5-20x50 on my 17" Encore .223 handgun.

Unfortunately the higher cal handguns demand that long eye relief so its 32mm max front obj. on those for me.

BTW where in VT are you?
Highgate Springs for me.
Posted By: Hac

Re: Pistol scopes - 11/05/2006 3:10 PM

Thanks for the input.I am shooting a encore pistol 308 cal.
I have a 2.5 to 7 T/C on it now.was just looking for a bigger objective for better light gathering.
I live in a small town called Rupert about 15 min west of Manchester VT.Going to New Hamphire to hunt the the 8-9-10 then back here for our opening day on the 11th.I like the 308 it real puts them down i have shot 3 deer now with the hand cannon hooked on it now.I got a pistol permit for NH so I will use it there.I hunt NY too but they do not give permits to non resident total not right. but thats the law so I am forced to use the rife there. good luck on all your hunts evryone shoot straight .
Posted By: GrnMntMan

Re: Pistol scopes - 11/05/2006 3:27 PM

I hear ya on light transmission but thats all we got.
I dont think I would try a rifle scope on the 308 either. Considered it on my 7mm08 but thought better against it.
I have a .300 Win Mag with brake now and use a Bushnell Elite 3200 2-6x32.
Its decent enough but lacks in last few minute as you well know. No more then any other 32mm FO scope IMO but still...
Just got to use to those mega 50mm FO scopes on the rifles. LOL
Good Luck in NH too.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Pistol scopes - 11/07/2006 11:19 PM

Depending on the power of magnification you intend to hunt with you may not need any more than 32mm. You see the human eye can only absorb so much light through the pupil. A young eye can go to 5mm, maximum. As you get older that reduces with time, 4mm and even less. The formula is simple, the capability of the eye X magnification = needed objective size. An older eye with a 8X scope can only utilize 32mm of objective (4x8=32), any larger is useless. A younger eye could take advantage of a 40mm bell at 8X, but how often does one hunt at max power. My biggest scope is a 2.5x8 Weaver and it doesn't spend a whole lot of time at 8x. FWIW, Rod.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums