Handgunhunt

Tell me about your 45

Posted By: Jtcsrvbi

Tell me about your 45 - 03/22/2007 1:49 PM

I’m looking to add a 45 semi to my collection. I shoot 22 bull’s eye now and want to start shooting in the 900 matches. So I need a 45. I’m thinking about a Taurus or Springfield Armory. I’ll need something I can put a scope on and a trigger that can be worked on to about 3.5 lbs. Any ideas.

john
Posted By: Gascheck

Re: Tell me about your 45 - 03/23/2007 2:53 AM

When I started in Bullseye 20+ years ago the most common route most people took was Colt Goverment or Gold Cup then have it worked on by a smith into a bullseye gun. I shot only indoor matches so my factory series 70 Gold Cup was my starting point. Replaced stock sights with a bomar full length rib. Then later added an aimpoint using a Clark scope mount that replaced the left grip. For indoor 50 foot matches it was accurate enough for my skill level at the time.
Today there are many more options. Last year I picked up a Springfield trophy match ( a custom shop piece) used for 550 dollars that looks great and is very, very accurate.
If I were you I look around for some older bullseye shooters who are no longer participating and try for some used equipment. A full blown bullseye gun from a good 45 smith can be very costly. Used is the way to go. A friend just bought a .22 High Standard Citation with aimpoint and an accurized colt 45 with aimpoint used ,with pistol box, spotting scope, extra mags, and a bunch of assorted accessaries for just under $1000.
Posted By: Bullelk Hunter

Re: Tell me about your 45 - 03/23/2007 11:53 PM

I shoot indoor 22lr NRA bullseye with my Sig; I finished this season with a 287 average. My 45 was a SprArm Trophy match. Here in eastern Pa we still have a corporate pistol league-go figure! I presently shoot one the first, original Chip McCormick hand made Kimber's but not competetively. It is a Custom Combat and is my carry gun. When I do go back though, I will probably go back to the Springfield as even the basic model can be put together and be competetive pretty inexpensively if you do the work yourself. I recently held a Taurus 1911 in the shop and it seemed like a nice, usable rig.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums