Handgunhunt

357 shot shell

Posted By: lhunter03

357 shot shell - 02/08/2008 4:22 AM

I'm looking to hand load 357 shot shell ,and i'm need load info. Can anyone help me. Just want to try something different.
Posted By: Tigger

Re: 357 shot shell - 02/08/2008 2:27 PM

I have never loaded shot shells, sorry I can't help. But Midway has the capsules on sale right now. Here is the link to that page.

Speer Shot Shell Capsules
Posted By: Dan B.

Re: 357 shot shell - 02/08/2008 2:32 PM

If you get the Speer capsules they have load data right on the box...or at least used to. I loaded about 200 for a friend that was moving to FL...wanted them for snakes. This I used Unique or W231. I also weight each shot charge to keep them somewhat uniform. To seat the capsule I used an Arbor press (that's usually used for benchrest style hand dies). The conventional die would crack an occassional capsule.
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: 357 shot shell - 02/08/2008 4:23 PM

I have the speer loading manual #13 and it has a section on loading shotshells, I know I have more information somewhere but I can't remember where I saw it, it may have been in a issue of Handloader. I will keep my eyes open and if I come across any more info I'll let you know. The speer manual seems to give pretty good instructions and has data for the 38/357, 44, and 45.
Posted By: Gascheck

Re: 357 shot shell - 02/10/2008 3:25 AM

The speer plastic capsules have load data right on bottom of the box. I have played with these quite a bit and they can be a lot of fun. I load them on a convential press with a flat nose bullet seating stem like that used for a swc. I bell the case mouths a little wider than normal and it makes seating the capsule a little easier. Then I crimp the mouth back to size using a 357 taper crimp die. I've never cracked a capsule doing it this way. I started out weighing the shot charges but I found no appreciable differance in patterns verse just dipping the capsule in a cup of shot to fill. Fill the capsule as full as you can while still being able to completely seat the plug-cap that comes with the capsules. The plugs are white the capsule is blue. Seat the plug side down in case. I use .38 special cases and load 5.5 grain of unique over a standard primer. Seat to an overall length of 1.525. The key to patterns with these things is the size of shot. Factory shotshells for 38-357 use #9 and that seems to be a good comprimise for decently dense load for snakes at 5 to no more than 10 yards. Beyond that pattern density gets a little thin to ensure multiple hits to a snakes head. 22 cal shot shells use #12 shot which gives you enough pellets to allow them to be efective at the same ranges. If I'm really looking for density I load 12 shot in the 38 shot capsules. This is my favorite snake load.
I have also used it out of 4' s&w 686 to break hand tossed clay pigeons which looks impressive but is actually pretty easy to do. CCI charges 7 or 8 buck for a 10 pack of shot shells. You can get a box of capsules for around $7. They are a lot of fun.
Posted By: lhunter03

Re: 357 shot shell - 02/13/2008 3:16 AM

Thanks alot i'm looking forward to loading and plinking.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums