Handgunhunt

Lone Eagle

Posted By: Crew Dawg

Lone Eagle - 05/06/2008 3:01 PM

My ex-father-n-law sent me an e-mail today. He said that one of our gun shops has a very ligtly used Lone Eagle in 7mm-08. They are asking 700 for it. I have handled them before and they are a pretty cool little weapon. But have never fired one so wondered what ya'll thought. Since i am never going to get my hands on an XP100. I figured to give it go.
Posted By: rupe

Re: Lone Eagle - 05/06/2008 3:21 PM

Is that the one that loads from the breech like a modern cannon?
Posted By: slavage

Re: Lone Eagle - 05/06/2008 4:39 PM

i think thats the one magnum re. used to make.. and at that price it should have a gold plated leuold on it along with a case of shells.. new i beleave they wernt that high ive seen them around the 3-4 range all the time
Posted By: larry223

Re: Lone Eagle - 05/06/2008 4:54 PM

i have shot them before and will have to go along with
slavage it had better have the and shells and gold case.
i think i would safe my money and keep looking for the xp
my 2cents
larry
Posted By: Gary

Re: Lone Eagle - 05/06/2008 5:08 PM

You can get an XP for 700 if you look hard enough and I think 700 is about double what the LE is worth. The ones I've handled have had absolutely horrid triggers.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Lone Eagle - 05/06/2008 5:12 PM

You could get a brand spankin' new Competitor, made to your specs, for less than that. The Competitor is what the Lone Eagle wanted to be, with an excellent trigger and self cocking action. Don't even consider that one for more than $350.
Posted By: Vance in AK.

Re: Lone Eagle - 05/06/2008 7:57 PM

Gotta agree with the others (on price & trigger).
There was a Lone Eagle that sat on the shelf here for quite a while for about $450, new in the box.
I'd sure go XP or Stryker 1st.
Posted By: slavage

Re: Lone Eagle - 05/06/2008 8:32 PM

if i seen a LE around here for under 250 and it was in a round i dont own yet i would get it just to shoot or plink..
but it has to be all most new at that price too.. i never liked the look of them nore feel.. but just to pling or trade bait down the line if the price is right i would snatch one up

Re: Lone Eagle - 05/07/2008 8:28 AM

Enough said, i wont be picking that up. What is the Competitor s4s4u mentioned above? Never heard of one.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Lone Eagle - 05/07/2008 1:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Crew Dawg
Enough said, i wont be picking that up. What is the Competitor s4s4u mentioned above? Never heard of one.

Competitor Pistol, Inc.

I have one in .308 Winchester, although I bought it slightly used for $350.

I also have an XP and Striker and all three have their merits. Rod, too.
Posted By: rupe

Re: Lone Eagle - 05/07/2008 3:24 PM

What is wrong with the lone eagle? Also is the Competitor a good one to buy? I like the price of them.
Posted By: Sawfish

Re: Lone Eagle - 05/07/2008 11:44 PM

The Lone Eagle is superbly accurate, but has a very heavy long trigger pull. The trigger can be improved with some careful polishing and honing, but will never remotely resemble a target trigger. If you can get used to the trigger, you will find the LE to be a very rugged and accurate hunting companion. I have seen the silver LE model referred to as "stainless", but they are actually hard chrome plated.

LEs are a bit finicky about reloaded ammunition because of the lack of camming power inherent in the cannon style breech, but the correct use of a cartridge headspace gauge will cure that problem. I have had mine for about ten years, and have taken deer and hogs with no problems. The factory brake does a good job on reducing felt recoil.

Re: Lone Eagle - 05/08/2008 1:13 PM

The deciding facter for me was price. The guys selling the one asked aparently want way too much. Plus i found an XP100 in 35 Rem on GunBroker with a outstanding Walnut stock. The want quite a bit but it made want to hold out for one. I found the site for the Competitor. I couldn't get a close up but seemed like a realy nice weapon. I have a weakness for pretty wood.
Posted By: ranger140892

Re: Lone Eagle - 05/12/2008 2:59 PM

I bought one years ago that is buried in my garage somewhere. It's accurate but the chamber is a little egg shaped which makes closing the breech imposible unless the cases are sized with a small base die. Can't get much leverage with that rotating breech block. The trigger is nice after I worked it but the trigger design is very Mickey Mouse.
Firing pin broke twice (first time cost me two coyotes). Second time bought the gun a dark & lonely eternity is a storage bin.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums