Handgunhunt

Reworked Bisley Vaquero

Posted By: wapitirod

Reworked Bisley Vaquero - 07/03/2008 2:23 AM

As most of you know I've been down with back injuries for a while and now the boredom finally got to me. I picked up a Bisley Vaquero a couple weeks ago at a good price but I've always prefered the standard "Colt" type look on the Vaquero. I have all types of Ruger SA parts on hand so I finally decided it was time for a project. I was going to order a colt style frame but I had an old aluminum frame on hand so I started thinking of what to do with it. I originaly was going to use a bake on laquer finish but I decided to try something different and after about 3 hours of polishing I ended up with a mirror finish. I then turned my attention to the lock work. I replaced the hammer and trigger with ones on hand and I picked up a round hammer strut, free spin pawl and installed wolff springs and a Belt Mountain base pin. I polished all of the moving parts and honed the sear, after all of that I ended up with a crisp 2lb trigger pull. I picked up some myrtle wood with a really nice grain to it today and I am getting started on making grips for the gun. I posted pics on the bragging board so you can see my progress, I'll post more when the grips are done. I'm planning on using the bisley frame for my first complete conversion which will be a 500 Linebaugh but first I have to get a small shop built so I have a place to put a lathe so I can turn the threads on to the barrel. That project probably won't get under way until next year after I've started recovering from my second surgery. Let me know what you think.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Reworked Bisley Vaquero - 07/03/2008 3:33 AM

Nice to see you keeping busy. Looks good. I've always been partial to the Bisley myself, but that traditional frame does go well with the Vaquero. How much hassle to swap, I have my eye on a 357 Max SBH but would want to Bisley-ize it if I pull the trigger on the deal. One day I'd like to put together a Linebaugh myself, well have someone put one together, but in .475 I think. Keep up the good work.

Re: Reworked Bisley Vaquero - 07/03/2008 3:35 AM

they aren't too bad to swap you just have to do some filing and sanding to mate the grip frame to the frame and then the hammer and trigger get changed. I've got somewhere around 6-8hrs into this one but alot of that was polishing.
Posted By: rupe

Re: Reworked Bisley Vaquero - 07/03/2008 3:30 PM

That looks great Wapitirod, can't wait to see the myrtle wood grips on it. I love the looks of Myrtle wood, it will be a one of a kind that's for sure.
Posted By: contender85

Re: Reworked Bisley Vaquero - 07/03/2008 6:26 PM

Looks good Rod.
Posted By: Rick

Re: Reworked Bisley Vaquero - 07/03/2008 7:41 PM

Nice looking job. Amazing how having time on your hands leads to projects. Beats sitting around. Looking forward to seeing photos with the Myrtle wood grips.

Re: Reworked Bisley Vaquero - 07/05/2008 8:44 AM

I almost forgot, on this one I tried something new. I tightened up the side to side travel in the hammer and trigger with special shims from Power Custom. The action on this is like velvelt.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Reworked Bisley Vaquero - 07/05/2008 1:30 PM

Hey Rod, speaking of Power Custom. Have you used their oversize cylinder latch? I have a Bisley 45LC that has a little wiggle when "locked up" and was contemplating one of these. I have also been "warned" about tightening up Rugers too much. It shoots alright but doesn't lock up like the others. I was wondering how much trouble it would be to drop one in and if it would giterdun.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Reworked Bisley Vaquero - 07/05/2008 1:45 PM

Rod,
Stay at it because your work looks good....you never know where this can go. James
Posted By: bisleyfan44

Re: Reworked Bisley Vaquero - 07/05/2008 2:43 PM

Like James said Rod, keep at it. Never know, you might be the next Bowen, Reeder, Power, etc. Good work.

Re: Reworked Bisley Vaquero - 07/05/2008 6:37 PM

Thanks guys, I'm hoping after my surgery I can at least do some work with guns, it's kind of late in life for me to tackle gunsmithing as a whole but I love single actions and know them best so I'm going to play around and see what I can do. I'd rather be good at working on one or two types of guns than mediocre on alot of guns.

s4s4u, I have installed the oversize cylinder latches and they aren't bad but what you have to be aware of is they can change your cylinder timing. The latch has to be fit by removing material from one or both sides and depending on where the material is removed from it will shift the cylinder one direction or the other. You will always have a little play but I've found that the combination of a Belt Mountain base pin and the latch does tighten things up.

Re: Reworked Bisley Vaquero - 07/06/2008 5:32 AM

one other thing I forgot, don't think for a second I have any delusions of just jumping in and building custom revolvers but I figure I have the basic, mechanical and machinist skills and a better than average knowledge of the Rugers but I have alot to learn, I've been buying up every tech manual I can find on the Ruger SA revolvers and I'm probably going to make mistakes on my own stuff before I ever do a paid job but thanks for the words of encouragement guys it's tough leaving a career I've spent more than half my life in and starting over but I've gotten to the point that I'm looking forward to the challenge of learning new things. Thanks Again!
Rod
Posted By: Tigger

Re: Reworked Bisley Vaquero - 07/07/2008 1:52 AM

Rod, do you have the Kuhnhausen manual yet? Excellent one to get. Here is a link.

Shop Manual for Ruger single actions

Re: Reworked Bisley Vaquero - 07/07/2008 2:05 AM

yep, I got that one and your right it is an excellent book, in fact I'm going to order the one for Colt SA also.

Re: Reworked Bisley Vaquero - 07/07/2008 8:15 PM

I know we've talked about this before but I wanted to give you a little encouragement. I'm so happy with the little bit you did on my SA, and watching you work on it was almost poetry in motion the way you beat on it with that hammer and dropped it on the pavement. Just kidding he really did a good job and you can tell he knows what he is doing. No hammers, didn't drop it not even a mark on it when he was done. Thanks again, anytime you want to try something on mine, just ask.

Re: Reworked Bisley Vaquero - 07/09/2008 3:40 AM

I posted a pic on the bragging board of the first grip panel, I figure I should have the second one done and the final fitting finished by the end of next week.

Re: Reworked Bisley Vaquero - 07/09/2008 6:38 AM

That looks great Rod, that wood is so cool looking. Great job! That should really look great when it's done and on the Bisley.
Posted By: larry223

Re: Reworked Bisley Vaquero - 07/09/2008 4:04 PM

very nice wapitirod let me know when you want some more to do

larry

Re: Reworked Bisley Vaquero - 07/09/2008 6:01 PM

Me first me first! LOL

Re: Reworked Bisley Vaquero - 07/09/2008 9:47 PM

only because you are closer

Re: Reworked Bisley Vaquero - 07/09/2008 10:34 PM

Originally Posted By: larry223
only because you are closer

\:D
That's right!

Re: Reworked Bisley Vaquero - 07/09/2008 11:47 PM

lets not get ahead of ourselves guys, I still have to get the other half of this pair finished without screwing up. I do think if I invest in the right tools it wouldn't be too bad to make more.

Re: Reworked Bisley Vaquero - 07/10/2008 12:03 AM

That would help alot, there is just so much you can do with duct tape and a hammer. LOL

Re: Reworked Bisley Vaquero - 07/10/2008 12:46 AM

don't forget the bailing wire.

Re: Reworked Bisley Vaquero - 07/10/2008 12:51 AM

Oops I thought my tools box was feeling kind of light.

Re: Reworked Bisley Vaquero - 07/11/2008 11:12 AM

well the grips are done and pics posted on the bragging board, they came out pretty good for my first time around but I learned alot so hopefully next time will go a little smoother. The wood is a little lighter than I expected but I just burnished them with 0000 steel wool and coated them with tru-oil.
Posted By: pab1

Re: Reworked Bisley Vaquero - 07/11/2008 2:54 PM

Your doing some great work Rod!

Re: Reworked Bisley Vaquero - 07/11/2008 4:21 PM

great job wapitirod that is one nice looking gun.

Re: Reworked Bisley Vaquero - 07/12/2008 2:59 PM

That turned out real nice Rod, Congrates on the first one!!!
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums