Handgunhunt

new to handgun hunting

Posted By: tjcolda

new to handgun hunting - 10/10/2008 3:12 AM

Hello All,

I am wanting to get into handgun hunting but first I need a powerful enough handgun to hunt with. I think I have decided on a revolver but can't decide on a cabiber. The gun will be used for whitetail, hogs, and maybe even bear. What do you think is the best choice? Right now I would say that a Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 mag is in first place, but I like the power and versitility of the .460 S&W. Do you that that the .460 is overkill and do you think the .44 mag has enough power to tackle all these jobs? I also like the cheaper price of the Ruger and .44 ammo.

Thanks for your suggestions.

-TJ
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: new to handgun hunting - 10/10/2008 3:15 AM

Quote:
Do you that that the .460 is overkill and do you think the .44 mag has enough power to tackle all these jobs?

Yes.
Posted By: larry223

Re: new to handgun hunting - 10/10/2008 3:20 AM

welcome tj i think the 44 would be the one for you to start
with i dont know anything about the 460 but that it is big to
start work up to the big stuff if you plan on reloading down
the road you get better service.
larry
Posted By: BINGO

Re: new to handgun hunting - 10/10/2008 3:30 AM

A 44 Ruger is as good as it gets for the price, versatility, & durability. Try it you'll like it.
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: new to handgun hunting - 10/10/2008 4:28 AM

The 44 is an excellent round and will handle the animals you want. I would only consider the 460 if your going to be shooting much over 100yds or if your going to eventually want to tackle elk or something bigger. The 44 will also handle the bigger stuff within it's range limitations but the 460 will do it with more authority. The 460 is a heavier and bulkier gun but the weight can help with accuracy and felt recoil in the XVR isn't any worst than stout 44 loads out of the Ruger but if you don't reload the 44 has a much larger selection of factory loads to choose from. My personal revolvers are custom Blackhawks in 475 Linebaugh because I like power in a smaller package. Hope that helps. Have you thought about spliting the difference and going with the SRH in 454? Recoil will be a little more stiff but it's an excellent gun, and in my opinion better built than a Smith.
Posted By: 500WE

Re: new to handgun hunting - 10/10/2008 4:37 AM

The .44 Mag. is perfect for those game animals.
Posted By: SCOTTx88

Re: new to handgun hunting - 10/10/2008 4:38 AM

Welcome. I think the .44mag is great,buy it and shoot it,then shoot it some more. This site will "make" ya buy more toys.
Posted By: Jeremy

Re: new to handgun hunting - 10/10/2008 12:09 PM

Hey tj, welcome the the site. I had the same problem as you last year about deciding which caliber to go with. I went for the 44mag. It is a great round for what your looking for! Also you may want to consider Wapitirods advice with the 454. A little more power could't hurt....hehe. You may also want to consider the good ole TC, your options then wouldn't be so costly!
Posted By: KRal

Re: new to handgun hunting - 10/10/2008 2:29 PM

Originally Posted By: 500WE
The .44 Mag. is perfect for those game animals.

Welcome, tjcolda. In my opinion, it's best to learn to "crawl" before "running"...if you don't have much experience handgun hunting, it's probably not the best idea to start out with the "big boys". Bad habits can be picked up by starting out too big. I'm not saying the 460 is too big for any of those game you mentioned because, dead is dead...it just may be to big to learn with. The 44 is probably the most versitle hand gun cartridge to date...in my opinion. There is so much avalible ammo and reloading components avalible for the 44 it would be impossible to list them all. Well, that's my 2 cents...this would also give you a reason to buy a 460 later down the road...KRal
Posted By: Tigger

Re: new to handgun hunting - 10/10/2008 4:42 PM

WELCOME to HH tjcolda!!

The 44 would be a great gun to start on. As everyone else has said, it's powerfull enough for the game you listed. Economical to shoot and practice with, and you need to practice alot to become proficent. The Ruger SRH is a great gun that is strong and heavy enough to keep the recoil down so you can enjoy shooting. It's easy to scope and unscope. An all around great gun.
Posted By: SS 308

Re: new to handgun hunting - 10/10/2008 6:27 PM

Welcome aboard tjcolda! I'd have to lean towards the 44 mag. I hunt with a "bolt" but I still carry a 44, "just in case".
Posted By: tred1956

Re: new to handgun hunting - 10/10/2008 10:39 PM

Welcome to HH. A 44 mag is the perfect STARTING round.

Safe shooting
Doug
Posted By: bisleyfan44

Re: new to handgun hunting - 10/10/2008 10:56 PM

Originally Posted By: s4s4u
 Quote:
Do you that that the .460 is overkill and do you think the .44 mag has enough power to tackle all these jobs?

Yes.

x2
IMO the 460 is totally unnecessary for the tasks you list. Really no such thing as "overkill" in the field when applied to hunting, but the 44 will handily do everything you need done within it's range. The 44 is a GREAT round whether you're a beginner or expert; it can do it all without maiming the shooter.

The 460s and 500s are for those who wish to start their bouts with hearing loss, arthritis, and tendonitis at an earlier than normal age or those with male inadequacy issues ;>)

In all seriousness, if you're literally just starting with handguns, I'd suggest a good quality 22 that resembles the type of big-bore you plan to use. Shortens the learning curve immensely. Good luck.

Re: new to handgun hunting - 10/10/2008 11:29 PM

Quote:
The 460s and 500s are for those who wish to start their bouts with hearing loss, arthritis, and tendonitis at an earlier than normal age or those with male inadequacy issues ;>)

HEY!!! I resemble that remark and I take offense!! LOL<LOL

I like my big bores.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: new to handgun hunting - 10/11/2008 12:04 AM

Quote:
those with male inadequacy issues ;>)

That's funny as hell right there, I don't care who you are ;-)

Although I do have a 'Tender barrel in 45/70 so I may fall into that category on some level :-(
Posted By: pab1

Re: new to handgun hunting - 10/11/2008 1:51 AM

One more vote for the .44 mag. I have more powerful rounds, but the .44 mag is my all time favorite.
Posted By: elkbelch

Re: new to handgun hunting - 10/11/2008 1:57 AM

"I also like the cheaper price of the Ruger and .44 ammo."
Now there is an important point.
I like shooting all my guns but the cheaper componets do factor in. The cheaper price will allow those on some sort of a budjet to enjoy ample shooting time, at a reasonable price.

Shawn
Posted By: lhunter03

Re: new to handgun hunting - 10/11/2008 2:01 AM

Welcome to the site !!! And Yes the 44 mag is definetly a good choice.

Lars
Posted By: rupe

Re: new to handgun hunting - 10/11/2008 3:43 AM

Welcome tj, As you can see everyone is telling you to start with the .44mag , There is a reason for that. It is a great round and has killed everything on the planet. Even an Elephant. (Not advised) I hunt with the .44mag and would use it for everything that you are going to find in North America except the Grizzly Bear and Bison, unless that's all I had in my hand at the time. Then it better be life threatening. And there is no better match up then the .44mag and Ruger SBH or SRH for cost, reliablity, and fun. Again Welcome aboard you are going to learn alot from these guys. It is a great site.
Posted By: Longstrides

Re: new to handgun hunting - 10/11/2008 7:02 AM

Welcome to the group, I think your idea of the 44 Mag is right on. It was my first serious fire power hand gun and I never plan to part with it! Larry
Posted By: AmmoHouse

Re: new to handgun hunting - 10/11/2008 9:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Jeremy
You may also want to consider the good ole TC, your options then wouldn't be so costly!

This is the route that I started out with and I have not been let down, the possibilities are endless!
I have acquired a few wheelguns and I'm getting better with them.
Like somebody else said, start out small and this site will make you buy more.

Re: new to handgun hunting - 10/11/2008 5:09 PM

"In all seriousness, if you're literally just starting with handguns, I'd suggest a good quality 22 that resembles the type of big-bore you plan to use. Shortens the learning curve immensely. Good luck."

I have 'defensive' handguns in 9mm & .45 ACP. I really appreciate all the advice you guys are giving out. Usually when you post a 'beginer' question on firearm forums people eat you alive. Again thanks for all the advice.
Posted By: pab1

Re: new to handgun hunting - 10/11/2008 5:18 PM

Originally Posted By: tjcolda
"In all seriousness, if you're literally just starting with handguns, I'd suggest a good quality 22 that resembles the type of big-bore you plan to use. Shortens the learning curve immensely. Good luck."

Thats good advise! I do the majority of my shooting with .22s and I know they have improved my consistancy and accuracy with larger caliber rounds.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: new to handgun hunting - 10/12/2008 1:00 AM

"Deer, hogs or bear
the 44 will always be there"......
Posted By: Diego

Re: new to handgun hunting - 10/12/2008 1:49 AM

Ask the sailors that went hunting polar bear with M1 grands. Sailors; 1 angry pissed off eventually dead bear. Bear; 7 dead sailors. All the fire power in the world wouldn't do you any good with out shot placement and the right bullet selection. FMJ bullets don't work to well on pissed off bears. I agree start with something that you can practice (correctly) your pistol handling,sighting,trigger control,& shooting. Most important cheap accurate ammo 22LR. Then I guess we can all say "My gun is bigger than your gun"
Posted By: Montanan

Re: new to handgun hunting - 10/12/2008 7:57 PM

Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
"Deer, hogs or bear
the 44 will always be there"......

Yep, I can't agree more.
Posted By: dertiedawg

Re: new to handgun hunting - 10/15/2008 1:00 PM

Welcome to the site TJ, I started shooting handguns with a 9mm which was and still is my self defense Glock 26. Bought the 44 SRH for hunting and I am extremely satisfied with it. Will be purchasing an Encore soon but only for the longer shots with 270 and the 44 will become my primary "brush gun". Problem is, the folks on this site give you a bad disease called "gun envy" which is extremely contagious, and then you end up spending lots of dough on more guns. Eventually it will be handed down to my son so he can begin handgun hunting.

Re: new to handgun hunting - 10/17/2008 3:58 AM

Do you guys think it is worth going with the SRH in .454 for the extra power, of course at the cost of more recoil. Or should I go with the .44?
Posted By: rupe

Re: new to handgun hunting - 10/17/2008 5:54 AM

I would go with the .44mag until you get shooting a handgun that kicks down. There is a big jump between the .44mag and the .454. You get good with the .44mag then you can step upto the more powerful calibers. Just my opinion!
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: new to handgun hunting - 10/17/2008 11:30 AM

I would agree with Rupe. Particularly if you handload the 44 is has incredible potential.
Posted By: hunlee

Re: new to handgun hunting - 10/17/2008 2:06 PM

44 mag is bad medison for doe an buck deer!!!!!!Hunlee is very proud of 7-30 water,,,,375 Windchester,,,,,but 45-70 barrel of hunlee go to TC factory!!!!!!!45-70 is big bore with high hittin power allso bad medison for doe an buck deer!!!!!!

hunlee
Posted By: Jeremy

Re: new to handgun hunting - 10/17/2008 2:25 PM

I would agree with the 2 above. Since I started handloading for the 44 you will have all the power needed for what you need.

Re: new to handgun hunting - 10/17/2008 10:40 PM

I'll have to sgree with the general consensus. Start with the 44 and get good with it. Then move up to the sharp recoilers. It's best to walk well before trying to run.

Looking back I remember my first handgun, a 357 Max in a heavy DW revolver. I had never shot much of any handguns. I thought the recoil was quite stout with the factory 158gr loads. I practiced alot with it and got comfortable with the recoil and the gun. As time moved on and I started getting larger and stronger calibers I grew with the recoil. I now have almost all the big bores and most are comfortable to shoot. A few can be loaded to the uncomfortable stage, but I don't generally go there.
\:\)
Posted By: lhunter03

Re: new to handgun hunting - 10/18/2008 2:43 AM

Rupe has good advice, The 44 is a better choice for those starting out. But still has the knock down for all that walks North America.

Lars
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums