Handgunhunt

ruger single six vs ruger mark III hunter ?

Posted By: silent sniper

ruger single six vs ruger mark III hunter ? - 05/24/2009 3:48 AM

hello guys i am trying 2 decide on a nice hunting arm for squirrels and groundhogs. i like that the single six has the 22 and 22 mag cylinders,so i can use 22 for squirrel and 22 mag for groundhogs and coons. but the mark III hunter is nice because it is a semi auto. even tho i really like revolvers,i would be willing 2 try a semi auto. so which of the 2 is a better hunting arm ? single six with 2 cals or markIII with quick follow up shots ? thanks SS
Posted By: VaPredHunter

Re: ruger single six vs ruger mark III hunter ? - 05/24/2009 5:01 AM

I had a Single Six a few years back I also have an old Mark I 22lr it shoots better than my S Six did.
Posted By: pab1

Re: ruger single six vs ruger mark III hunter ? - 05/24/2009 5:24 AM

In my experience, the Mark IIIs are more accurate. All of the Single Sixs I've shot were more accurate with the .22lr cylinder than the .22 mag cylinder also. The most accurate .22 I own is a 10" Contender. Slow follow up shot, but a follow up is usually not needed with it.
Posted By: pter1020k

Re: ruger single six vs ruger mark III hunter ? - 05/24/2009 8:36 AM

I have a single six shoot fair.would go with mark III if i did not prefer revolvers and want an under study for a black hawk.My 10"contender is my most acurate 22 no second shot needed.
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: ruger single six vs ruger mark III hunter ? - 05/24/2009 12:41 PM

MKIII
Posted By: bluecow

Re: ruger single six vs ruger mark III hunter ? - 05/24/2009 1:58 PM

the single six was my frist handgun, and that handgun will be last to go!!! as a kid when i shoot alot i could hit the primer ( hit not deprime ) a 12 guage shell at 10 yards, or shoot a hole through a milk weed ( dangerious things those milk weeds ) and leave enough fiber on eather side to leave the thing standing. couldn't do that now but bet you can tell that id say singl six
Posted By: KRal

Re: ruger single six vs ruger mark III hunter ? - 05/24/2009 2:05 PM

Both are great choices. Out of the box, the MK III will be more accurate. It mainly just depends on your taste. If you really want an accurate 22lr, go with a T/C Contender. That's my 2 cents...LOL
Posted By: WolfTrap

Re: ruger single six vs ruger mark III hunter ? - 05/24/2009 2:25 PM

I own both in various lengths.
Ruger and IHMSA in a onetime partnership issued the Single Six in 22LR only, with .221-.222 max grove!** Shot the best Steel Pig 50yd. 1 inch groups (Nickle size @ 25yards) using Ely High Standard. I believe the 22LR "Only" issue was offered once?
As for the latest Single Six convertable offering, the 22Mag. configuration, in my opinion would be the cleanest kill... if a long shot needs to be taken?
The MK's in various barrels (4 1/2-15in.) length, again....superior in follow up shots. Most of mine are 1 to 4 power red dot scopes with one being 9 power that prints dimes all day long.
Hope this helps you?
WT
**Slug both ends and cylinder. Steel can't make up my mind which one is true.
Posted By: KYODE

Re: ruger single six vs ruger mark III hunter ? - 05/24/2009 8:48 PM

i think it would be hard to beat the mkIII hunter scoped with a variable.
http://www.handgunhunt.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=413&ppuser=514
the single six hunter would be sweet, but expensive n maybe hard to find?
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: ruger single six vs ruger mark III hunter ? - 05/24/2009 9:30 PM

I have a Single Six Bisley and a MkII 22/45 and the MkII will shoot a one ragged 9 hole group at 25 yards, mag after mag. The Bisley won't do quite that well but is good fun.

As far as a quick follow-up shot is concerned I can do just about as good with the revolver as the semi.

A scoped MkIII is the best option for accuracy, next to my 10" 'Tender match tube.
Posted By: Gary

Re: ruger single six vs ruger mark III hunter ? - 05/25/2009 2:27 AM

I would say a MK III too. I've not been too happy with the accuracy from the 22 mag cyl. and I think the semi just shoots a little tighter groups.

Re: ruger single six vs ruger mark III hunter ? - 05/25/2009 2:59 AM

hmmm...this will be a hard choice. oviously i only need hunting accuracy not olympic target gun accuracy. i cant decide. how good of accuracy can be expected from the 22 mag in the single six ? this is my only deciding point. if the 22 mag is accurate enough 2 hit a groundhog at 40-50 yards in the head,then i would probably choose the single six. but if the 22 magcant shoot worth crap then i will go with mark III.
Posted By: Tigger

Re: ruger single six vs ruger mark III hunter ? - 05/25/2009 3:17 AM

I have a couple Single Sixs, and a couple MKIIs. The MKIIs are more accurate.

One thing to look at just to cover yourself is the game laws where you live. Some states don't allow hunting with semiautos and if they do they might have limits on mag capacity.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: ruger single six vs ruger mark III hunter ? - 05/25/2009 5:02 AM

What ya really need is a scoped T/C 'Tender in 22 mag to put that first one where it counts, and a S-Six with one ragged hole sights on the hip as back-up when that occasional wounded G-Hog charges or when you get surrounded by a pack ;-)

Re: ruger single six vs ruger mark III hunter ? - 05/25/2009 12:48 PM

well i am a open sights guy so whatever i get i want2 use it with opwn sights. but i will also look in2 the contender. ya i have no clue what 2 get lol. classic revolver with dual cals,fast shooting accurate semi auto,or super accurate single shot. i like all 3 so it looks like a will have 2 buy all of them lol. my grandpa last year bought a brand new mark III hunter target edition. he put a red dot scope on it. sometime i will talk him in2 letting me shoot it. i have shot the mark III hunter before and i was very impressed with the accuracy. but my neighbor has a single six and he said i could go over and shoot it if i wanted 2. so i am going 2 try it out and see what i think. but the contender is nice because u can get other barrels easily.
Posted By: huntkng

Re: ruger single six vs ruger mark III hunter ? - 05/25/2009 2:06 PM

I've owned both, sold off the revolvers because of a lack of accuracy. I shoot a Mk II target model flat sided bbl in IHMSA. Increadibly accurate. On a calm day I get 1 1/2 - 2" groups at 100 yards out of it's 7" bbl! I use it for jack rabbits, squirrels and sage rats here in OR. I even dropped a Bobcat with it by accident on one trip, but thats another story.

Bill in OR
Posted By: MrSmith4x44

Re: ruger single six vs ruger mark III hunter ? - 05/26/2009 1:24 AM

Originally Posted By: s4s4u
What ya really need is a scoped T/C 'Tender in 22 mag to put that first one where it counts, and a S-Six with one ragged hole sights on the hip as back-up when that occasional wounded G-Hog charges or when you get surrounded by a pack ;-)

That one was good!
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums