Handgunhunt

Starting small going to big

Posted By: Leong

Starting small going to big - 09/08/2009 6:54 PM

I own a .357 and live in San Jose,CA. Question: Where and what can I hunt w/a .357? Have Never hunted before...tried my hand at varmint hunting once...not to successful. Any suggestions?
Posted By: pter1020k

Re: Starting small going to big - 09/08/2009 7:13 PM

with the right loads and a little practice.357 will work on deer.Good for coyote. almost any small game can be taken with a .357 although for some it is a little over kill.what is the make, model and barrel length?
Posted By: BIGSTEVE83

Re: Starting small going to big - 09/08/2009 7:20 PM

The best advice I can give you as far a where to go is start talking with people in the area and find out your local zones or contact the department of fish and game. You can deer hunt with a .357 and hogs with well placed shots.

Nice to see another California resident on here.
Posted By: RUG1

Re: Starting small going to big - 09/09/2009 12:22 AM

Practice! I do not know how much you shot, but practice is very important, from different distances, different angles, different positions.
Be patient and honest with yourself. A 357 mag will do well in its range.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Starting small going to big - 09/09/2009 2:06 AM

I have only three things to suggest: PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE
Posted By: azbearhuntr

Re: Starting small going to big - 09/09/2009 3:45 AM

Once upon a time 357's were used on all kinds of big and dangerous game. Now much bigger cartridges have been introduced so one often feels undergunned with a 357. All I can say is choose a good bullet and practice as often as you can then practice some more! Shot placement is critical above all else. If I had to answer I'd say deer and hogs though I suppose.
Posted By: Is that a cub

Re: Starting small going to big - 09/09/2009 6:08 PM

Just Remember you are in a lead free zone there. No hardcast or jacketed. You've gotta use Barnes X bullets.
Posted By: elkbelch

Re: Starting small going to big - 09/09/2009 6:17 PM

Welcome Leong, you will find good advice here.
Posted By: elkbelch

Re: Starting small going to big - 09/09/2009 6:26 PM

I started to look at CA's Fish and Game web page at http://www.fgc.ca.gov. I must warn you the word PROHIBITION is used often.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums