Handgunhunt

First handgun deer

Posted By: ccdhowell

First handgun deer - 11/07/2004 10:54 PM

Got this little 4 point this morning, my first with a handgun. I shot him at 115 yards with an Encore in 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser, 15" TC Custom Shop barrel with a Burris 1.5x4 scope. One shot - one kill --- now I'm a handgun hunter too; and hooked for life!
Posted By: Pie-bald

Re: First handgun deer - 11/07/2004 11:11 PM

Good job! Curious as to what gr. bullet you was using and how it preformed?
Posted By: Gman

Re: First handgun deer - 11/07/2004 11:18 PM

Nice first handgun deer. Great pic as well. I am still trying to get my first handgun trophy. Maybe someday!
Posted By: magman

Re: First handgun deer - 11/07/2004 11:49 PM

Congrats, It is very addicting. Soon you'll hunt everything with a handgun. Of course then you'll need more barrels, scopes, etc. You're hooked
Posted By: Tigger

Re: First handgun deer - 11/08/2004 12:22 AM

SWEET!! Sure makes you feel good don't it? YUP you are hooked for life. Like magman says,it only gets worse eerrrr... I mean better. This is just fuel to the fire.

Dam red X, been gettin that a lot lately. I'll bet it's a nice deer.
Posted By: KYODE

Re: First handgun deer - 11/08/2004 12:47 AM

yippeeee!!!....i'm glad ya got him! that is a trophy...of magnificent proportions!
you'll never forget that one

now try that 300 win mag barrel of yours on a deer ......

i loaned my 16.5" 300wm to a buddy at specialty pistols site. he's gonna do a comparison/article between my 16.5" barrel, and his 15" 300 win mag by ssk (rechambered factory .308 barrel). i have his 15" barrel to hunt with, if i take a notion, till then.
best part of the deal......i end up with a worked up load/loads.
i'm also changing the 300 over to a rubber grip, and composite forearm. recoil should be considerably more tolerable with the rubber grip.

Re: First handgun deer - 11/08/2004 1:18 AM

Pie-bald
I just got this barrel in August and haven't had time to work any loads. I used PMC 140gr Sierra SPBT bullets. These seem to be great loads and for the price I may never handload this little gem. The bullet was a pass-through so I can't speak as to weight retention, but it was a Sierra bullet and we know to expect the best from Sierra.

Re: First handgun deer - 11/08/2004 1:21 AM

KYODE,
Thats a tuff call, I'm really starting to like that little Swede. I think I'll just stick with it for now. You'll like the rubber grip. Good huntin!
Posted By: jim257

Re: First handgun deer - 11/08/2004 2:43 AM

feels good doesnt it?oh i still remember last year when i took my first deer with my 257 roberts encore.this year it will be the 454 or the 7mm-08.congrats on the deer and keep up the good work(i wound up with a turkey last year also)jim257
Posted By: 7STDUBBERU

Re: First handgun deer - 11/09/2004 11:00 PM

damn red x, I know there is buck back there.
Posted By: bisleyfan44

Re: First handgun deer - 11/11/2004 10:42 PM

congratulations!!! it must fell great. i haven't gotten one with a handgun yet but hope to fix that this year. i haven't tried the 6.5x55mm swede in a handgun yet, but had rifle in it several years ago. it killed deer like lightning with the pmc loads...it seems to be one of those overlooked gems in today's world of super magnums. anyway congrats again and here's to hoping for many more to come!!!!

Re: First handgun deer - 11/12/2004 12:48 AM

bisleyfan44, did you have the Swedish rifle or an Encore barrel? Yes, you are right, this little cartridge is grossly overlooked. I've read that the secret is the high sectional density and the relatively slow speed combine to produce a magic effect on game. They load 156gr bullets in Europe and use this thing for moose. I'd sure like to try that some day. Maybe an elk too. I'm thinking the guide would think I was crazy, but this little dandy would work for just about anything short of dangerous game, I'm sure of it. It's my new favorite.
Posted By: Ernie

Re: First handgun deer - 11/12/2004 3:35 PM

Welcome to another "hooked" handgun hunter!
Proud and happy for you.
Posted By: bisleyfan44

Re: First handgun deer - 11/12/2004 7:50 PM

it is an old "sporterized" swedish mauser; the short model 38. but enough about rifles here!!! no, seriously, the 140 gr. bullet loaded by pmc, norma, etc. seems to be the best on big game. the lighter bullets around 120gr. don't seem to work quite as well as the longer 140's. i haven't tried the 156's. actually, i sold that rifle a few years ago and have regretted it several times (the crazy things you do to pay the mortgage, huh?). but all this 6.5x55 talk has got me hankering for a new encore barrel. sorry got to leave now.... gotta go call fox ridge!!!!
Posted By: IKE

Re: First handgun deer - 11/13/2004 8:11 AM

Bisleyfan no need to call Fox Ridge if you're looking for a 15" Encore barrel in 6.5x55, you can get one from the same place Chris and I got ours. Just take a look in the "Barrels Classifieds" section, I saw Ed yesterday and he still has two or three left.

Congrats on the deer Chris !

Ike
Posted By: KnuteStoner

Re: First handgun deer - 11/13/2004 12:53 PM

Congrats on the 4 point! I couldn't help but jump in as my first handgun buck was a 4 point too! Below is a pic of my first handgun buck taken back in 1991. This 4 point was taken using my dad's early 1960's S&W .357 with an 8-3/8 inch barrel. Just over 50 yds broadside. Hit high in the lungs and it went about 25 yds. 158 grain hollow point and the bullet didn't exit. The following year I bought a S&W 629 .44 as I still felt the .357 was a bit light for deer. Handgun hunting sure is addicting. I like the fact that you can hunt with your hands free to use your binoculars and you're not having to carry 9 pounds of steel and glass across your back through the brush. In fact I have an old Winchester 1895 I would love to get a deer with but I can't bring myself to carry the cumbersome thing out in the woods. I compare the challenge of handguning to archery. For instance one day I'll go to the range and be grouping out of the bull because I accidently changed my grip or whatever. I like the fact that I can't conquer it and just like my bow it takes practice. Congratulations again from a fellow addict!
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums