Handgunhunt

Hi Yall...Newbie Here. Pistol scope question

Posted By: JeremyT

Hi Yall...Newbie Here. Pistol scope question - 06/15/2010 8:51 PM

Hi guys

I've been lurking here for a few weeks. I'm no stranger to the hunting groups. I'm 32 and have grown up hunting fishing and trapping in Missouri. I have had my Conceal & carry permit for about 5 years and shoot alot.

I am however new to handgun hunting other than dispatching trapped critters with a .22 during trapping season.

I recently bought this Taurus 608 in .357. My plan is to work up a nice 158 gr. handload and bring a little excitment back to deer season.

The scope shown is an NCStar 4x32. The first thing I did is jerk that hunk of junk scope off and get rid of it. I'm not sure if I will put a scope on or just keep shooting it the way it is but if I do I think I'll go with the plain pistol scope over the reddot.

Here is my question....Can I get a decent quality scope for around $100 if so which brand and type do you guys recommend?

Also what is the average magnification on most pistol scopes?
This 4 power seemed like too much to me ..All I could see was how much I was shaking.

Posted By: wtroper

Re: Hi Yall...Newbie Here. Pistol scope question - 06/15/2010 9:05 PM

Used Leupold or Burris 2X. You may eventually go on to 4X. But start with a quality 2X. I have several that I have pulled off revolvers & replaced with 4Xs.
Posted By: ClayFHT

Re: Hi Yall...Newbie Here. Pistol scope question - 06/15/2010 9:06 PM

For the price range, a 2x Simmons or Weaver would be my pick. Or you might check around and find a used Leupold.
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: Hi Yall...Newbie Here. Pistol scope question - 06/15/2010 10:18 PM

Leupold is the best you can do but for the 357 a Weaver will hold up fine and is actually one of the best deals for the money. I generally stick with Leupold across the board but the Nikon and Bushnell elite are also good as are the burris scopes but to me they are overweight and oversized. As far as the 100.00 limit Weaver will come the closest new as I believe you can get them for between 125.00 and 150.00 otherwise look for a good used scope. You might even check the optics classifieds on here to see what's for sale.
Posted By: H2OBUG

Re: Hi Yall...Newbie Here. Pistol scope question - 06/15/2010 10:28 PM

JMHO the 2X Weaver is the best value (new)-- however a used 2x Leupold would be much better
Posted By: KRal

Re: Hi Yall...Newbie Here. Pistol scope question - 06/15/2010 11:44 PM

Originally Posted By: H2OBUG
JMHO the 2X Weaver is the best value (new)-- however a used 2x Leupold would be much better

I agree with this.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Hi Yall...Newbie Here. Pistol scope question - 06/16/2010 12:12 AM

Quote:
This 4 power seemed like too much to me ..All I could see was how much I was shaking.

Less X's won't make you any steadier, it will just seem that way. If a 2x gives you more confidence, by all means, get one. A 2x seems like a 1x to me, and if I want no X's I prefer a red dot. I have a Simmons 4x on my Bisley 41 Mag that has done well for $100. I really like the Weavers for a few dollars more.
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: Hi Yall...Newbie Here. Pistol scope question - 06/16/2010 2:09 AM

In my personal experience, I say go with Leupold as first choice, then Simmons as second. I have no personal experience with Weavers.
Posted By: 460man

Re: Hi Yall...Newbie Here. Pistol scope question - 06/16/2010 2:33 AM

I mounted a Simmons Prohunter 2x6 variable on my 460 XVR. Wiegand
base and 3 rings. I keep it on 3 for normal whitetail hunting. I crank it up to 6 only for long shots( 100 yds so far)
I run 250 rounds of Hornady 200 gr FTX thru it. Has held 0 perfectly. 2 inch groups at 100 yds off shooting stick if I do my part. Practice will help with the shakes. They wont go away but your confidence in your ability to hit your mark in spite of them will come the more you shoot.
Welcome to site and handgun hunting. I know I'm hooked. Took my first handgun deer on first hunt first shot.
Happy hunting.
Posted By: Tigger

Re: Hi Yall...Newbie Here. Pistol scope question - 06/16/2010 12:03 PM

First WELCOME aboard!!!

The Leupolds are hard to beat. For the $100.00 price tag
keep an eye on the auction sites and classifieds. The used 2X Leupolds go for about $100~150.00. The extra $50.00 is worth it.

Re: Hi Yall...Newbie Here. Pistol scope question - 06/16/2010 12:37 PM

WOW Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like maybe I should "Buck up" a little and go for the gold. I could probably handle that.

So what are your guys' opinions with the Taurus? I thought about going with a larger caliber but I really like the .357 because I can plink with the 38 specials.
Posted By: KRal

Re: Hi Yall...Newbie Here. Pistol scope question - 06/16/2010 12:48 PM

Originally Posted By: JeremyT
...............So what are your guys' opinions with the Taurus? I thought about going with a larger caliber but I really like the .357 because I can plink with the 38 specials.

I think you just opened up a whole new can of worms....LOL.
;\)

I personally would perfer a larger diameter bullet fer hunting.
Posted By: minnesotahunter

Re: Hi Yall...Newbie Here. Pistol scope question - 06/16/2010 2:47 PM

I'd go Simmons 2x6. I like mine just as much as my more expensive T/C, and they are pretty cheap. You'll have your 2x, and when you feel more confident, just crank it up.

My Simmons 2x6 has performed well out to 300, and I suspect it will work at 400 also, just havn't shot that far yet.

As for the Taurus, I had one, and it was a nice gun. It should do great for close range deer hunting. That being said, I now prefer Ruger wheelguns.

Be carful, handguns are very addictive...

Nice gun.
Have fun.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Hi Yall...Newbie Here. Pistol scope question - 06/16/2010 4:25 PM

Quote:
So what are your guys' opinions with the Taurus?

If you don't have any problems with it you will be happy. But, if you need work on it I pity you. Their customer service is notorious, in a bad way.
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: Hi Yall...Newbie Here. Pistol scope question - 06/16/2010 5:03 PM

The Taurus is a crap shoot and I've repeatedly heard the same thing as s4s4u about there customer service. The good thing is that a 357 isn't real hard on actions like the 454. I noticed you were talking about using 158gr for deer you might want to look into a good 180gr like the partition, a little extra weight would be good since your on the light side in caliber.

Re: Hi Yall...Newbie Here. Pistol scope question - 06/16/2010 5:27 PM

I'll look into that. I have only checked on Sierra bullets so far because they are local. So far I am really happy with the Taurus, it has a great trigger on it.

I do plan on limiting myself to the 30 yard range and I belive that the .357 will be adequate at this range.

My plan is if I get really hooked on this to upgrade to a larger more powerful cartridge.
Posted By: Tigger

Re: Hi Yall...Newbie Here. Pistol scope question - 06/16/2010 6:08 PM

Long story short on the tore***,

I think it's still outback holding the lid down on my garbage can so the coons can't get in them........

Re: Hi Yall...Newbie Here. Pistol scope question - 06/16/2010 6:57 PM

So you couldn't hit the coons with your new pistol either?

\:\)
Lol
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: Hi Yall...Newbie Here. Pistol scope question - 06/16/2010 11:35 PM

The "Rod's" opinions are the ones that are most voiced on this sight... Because of this I have also gone with Rugers.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums