Handgunhunt

New Guy

Posted By: ARhunter

New Guy - 12/23/2004 4:33 PM

First time ever using a Forum. Just got a .44, have always used a 7-30 Waters in the past. Do you guys think a fixed 4X is excessive? Am I just going to see "brown" at 20yds and closer? Any suggestions??
Posted By: Vance in AK.

Re: New Guy - 12/23/2004 6:08 PM

Let me be the first to say welcome to the forum. I think you'll like it here.
As for the .44, is it a revolver, or specialty handgun, & what will you be hunting?
On my .44 revolver (S&W mod 29, 8&3/8 barrel) I have a red dot type sight & love it. I think it matches the effective range of the gun(75ish yds on moose).
If I was going to go with a fixed power scope it would probably be a 2x. My .444 Marlin Contender usually has a fixed 2x or sometimes 3x on it. Great field of view for quick target aquisition. Ofcourse, my country isn't wide open in most places, but I feel the 2x is adequate on the .444 out to 200yds on moose if duty calls. A low powered variable might be great on the Contender, but I'd stick with the 2x or red dot(my first choice) on a revolver.
Posted By: THOMASD49

Re: New Guy - 12/23/2004 6:43 PM

I,too, am new to the forum and I use a 2X on my S&W 44 83/4" and find it plenty for hogs out to almost 100 yards.
Hope you have luck!!
Posted By: Vance in AK.

Re: New Guy - 12/23/2004 7:49 PM

welcome Thomas.
I'd love to go hog hunting sometime.
Posted By: VH308

Re: New Guy - 12/24/2004 5:43 AM

ARhunter,
Just like Vance and Thomas said, a 2X would probably be your best bet at close range. If you were planning on a long range caliber in the future a 2X7 variable might be the way you might want to go.
ARhunter and Thomas welcome to the forum.
Good Hunting.

Re: New Guy - 12/24/2004 11:42 AM

Thanks for the input, 2x it is. The .44 is a Taurus with an 8 3/8 bbl. I sold my TC a few years ago, but my wife just got me the .44 for my Bday. I'm stuck in Bosnia until spring so I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.
Posted By: Dan B.

Re: New Guy - 12/24/2004 11:49 AM

Welcome aboard fellas!! ARhunter...hope you return safely!!! As for the scope...I would prefer a 4X...but I face way more 75 yards shots than 20yd shots and could adjust accordingly. At 20 yards you would still be fine with a 4X and being able to determine where you were on a deer to shoot...but it would be harder to shoot a faster moving target with a 4X up close.

Re: New Guy - 12/24/2004 12:47 PM

Most hunters around my property run dogs. So the deer don't sit still that long. Thats the main reason I'm leaning toward the 2X. When I get back I'll look through a few of them before I buy. Any of you ever have to go through 2 seasons without hunting? It makes you a little crazy!!
Posted By: Hawkeye

Re: New Guy - 12/25/2004 2:34 PM

Welcome ARHunter and Merry Christmas. We pray for your safe return.
I hunt a lot of timber and small open spots in SE Oklahoma and I have tried both the 4x & 2x. I settled on a 2x on my 45-70 Contender for the same reason you had. Lot's of moving deer during the season due to people moving them and I have taken one doe at 120yd with it. Just found me a rest and put the x hairs where they needed to be. It is a Redfield and has a good field of view. I have the 4x on my 30 Herrett now and it seems to work well for the potential of the cartridge at the distances I use it. I just picked up a like new Encore in 7BR and it had a 2x Leupold on it. Talk about under scoped. Sure put a damper on the potential of the 7BR 15" barrel. It will be wearing a 2x6 or something in that range soon.
I hope reading some of the hunting stories on here helps you get through your not being able to hunt.
Take care.
Mike
Norman, OK
Posted By: Gman

Re: New Guy - 12/25/2004 3:08 PM

Welcome to our site. It's the best handgun hunting site on the net. Thank you for all you do for us. Being a retired sailor I know how tough it is to be away from home during the Christmas season. I hope you get home soon and get some hunting in! God bless.

Re: New Guy - 12/25/2004 3:32 PM

Thanks guys, at least I should be back for turkey season. Too bad Arkansas won't let me use a handgun, guess I'll have to get out the bow. Any of you guys have any experience with Taurus handguns? I've heard good and bad. Do most of you put 2 or 3 rings on your scopes?
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums