Handgunhunt

Michigan Deer Hunt

Posted By: chiefs50

Michigan Deer Hunt - 11/25/2010 3:27 AM

I just returned from a couple weeks at my camp in the U.P.. I saw four smaller bucks during the first two days of the season but nothing I wanted to shoot. I saw few deer after that. At one point our entire party went two days without seeing a deer. A lot of folks blame the growing wolf population for the apparent scarcity, but I'm not so sure that's the answer. I was looking forward to harvesting a nice buck with my Contender but that will have to wait until after Thanksgiving, when I head back up to close out the season.
Posted By: Gary

Re: Michigan Deer Hunt - 11/25/2010 1:56 PM

Good luck this week.
Posted By: Grendel

Re: Michigan Deer Hunt - 11/25/2010 2:26 PM

Well, in northern Wisconsin we have the same problem. My son and I went 5 days with out seeing a deer. We have property near Ashland in Bayfield County and we are seeing more wolf tracks than deer tracks. 5-6 years ago that was not the case. Here in Wisconsin we have a two fold problem, over harvesting of does, and an un-managed wolf poulation. Good luck when you get back to camp. I most likely will finish out our season in sothern wisconsin.

Re: Michigan Deer Hunt - 11/26/2010 12:39 AM

Thanks for the well wishes. Hope you guys have successful seasons as well.
Posted By: dc74

Re: Michigan Deer Hunt - 11/26/2010 12:46 AM

good luck hope u see a good one!!
Posted By: MIHunter

Re: Michigan Deer Hunt - 11/26/2010 2:31 AM

Good luck!
Posted By: jwarren

Re: Michigan Deer Hunt - 11/26/2010 7:25 AM

Get a nice one and post the pics. WE LIKE PICTURES.
Posted By: 240

Re: Michigan Deer Hunt - 11/26/2010 3:12 PM

What part of the UP are you hunting? Are you national forest or private property?
Posted By: Longwinters

Re: Michigan Deer Hunt - 11/27/2010 5:25 PM

We hunted Menominee county. Between 5 of us we saw 1 spike and lots of fawns. Hardly a doe. With the Natives and farmers w/ permits shooting them for over a month before season.....not much left.

Long

Re: Michigan Deer Hunt - 12/06/2010 1:10 AM

Originally Posted By: 240gr&up
What part of the UP are you hunting? Are you national forest or private property?

We hunt astride the Menominee/Dickinson County line. It is a combination of paper company and private land.

Mike
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums