Handgunhunt

WI Gun Deer Season - Nov 2010

Posted By: kzreelrods

WI Gun Deer Season - Nov 2010 - 11/27/2010 10:11 PM

Just got back from a week in the north woods of Wisconsin chasing whitetails. Great hunting weather for once... temps in the single digits up to the low 30s with averages in the mid to low 20's. We had a dusting of snow early, but on Tuesday night we got 4 inches of fresh powder covering everything.

However, the full moon was working against us with a few clear nights allowing the deer to frolic with gay abandon in the moonlight, and not move much during the day. It took me five days, but on Wednesday, things finally went my way. I came across a fresh bed with tracks leading away in the fresh snow. I followed it no more than 30 yards and saw some movement in the thick woods ahead. A couple more steps and I had a better vantage point. The deer turned sideways and I could get a decent peek at it.

Having just sat in my favorite pine tree for nearly 3 hours, my plan was to walk/stalk to warm up as I headed to another blind nearby. Being mildly hypothermic and pretty jacked up on finally seeing a decent buck, it wasn't my best shooting, but let's just say my TC Encore .338 Federal got the job done. It was a 2 1/2 year 8-pointer... good eater and nice buck for day 5 of the season.

Unfortunately, I was almost 2-miles into state forest land so there would be no 4-wheelers involved in dragging the deer out until I got it back to our property line. Fortunately, the 4-inches of fresh snow made the drag about as good as it could be. 1.5 hours later I had the deer back to the property line.

I have to say, I felt great dragging that buck out of the woods. After not going back to hunt for a decade, this was the second year in a row I've been able to get back for deer season. It's the most time I get to spend with my Dad and Brother all year and as everyone can imagine, it is great therapy to leave everything behind and blend into the woods for a week. To top it off, the fresh snow covering everything was aboslutely gorgeous and the sun came out just as it was time to start dragging... I had to stop a few times just to soak it all in. It isn't the biggest buck I've shot by any stretch, but it will definitely be one of the most memorable.

Butchered it out on Thanksgiving and was able to fit 50 lbs of vacuum packed frozen venison into my carry-on bag... "buck in a bag" as I call it.

Score so far for our party of five (two of whom could only hunt the weekends) is two bucks (8-pt and 4-pt) and three does. They'll be out there this weekend to try to fill the remaining buck tags. Does and yearlings have been seen in great numbers, but bucks have been quite elusive this year.

Some pics...

My buck.

My buck and Dads Big Girl Doe

Goofy porcupine... found it curled up dead next to our hunting shack. Needed to share.
Posted By: Gary

Re: WI Gun Deer Season - Nov 2010 - 11/27/2010 11:02 PM

Congrats. Sounds like beautiful country up there.

Gary
Posted By: MIHunter

Re: WI Gun Deer Season - Nov 2010 - 11/28/2010 12:14 AM

Congrats! Thanks for sharing your story.
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: WI Gun Deer Season - Nov 2010 - 11/28/2010 12:30 AM

Awesome and thanks for sharing!
Posted By: johnwilliams

Re: WI Gun Deer Season - Nov 2010 - 11/28/2010 1:22 AM

good story,its always great to spend time afield with family and friends,those backstraps are making my mouth water just thinking about em!!
Posted By: Larry in SD

Re: WI Gun Deer Season - Nov 2010 - 11/28/2010 3:03 AM

Congrats on a great hunt. Yep hunting is all about family and friends for me, and I enjoy every minute I get.

Larry
Posted By: DAHLTAILS

Re: WI Gun Deer Season - Nov 2010 - 11/28/2010 6:04 AM

Good job! I dint see much in southren WI. What sucks is today I did deer drives with a group of people and land owners that don't beloive in handguns so I cound not hunt with my handgun which sucks,but at least I got a doe with my shotgun. Ihope to do some late season handgun huntin. It just is not as exciting to get them any other way besides a handgun. Once again congrats on the deer
Posted By: DAHLTAILS

Re: WI Gun Deer Season - Nov 2010 - 11/28/2010 6:06 AM

By the way thanks for the pics, always good to see deer huntin pics.
Posted By: SChunter

Re: WI Gun Deer Season - Nov 2010 - 11/28/2010 9:42 AM

Congratulations!

And my back aches for you over that long drag out!
Posted By: dc74

Re: WI Gun Deer Season - Nov 2010 - 11/28/2010 4:58 PM

great story and nice pics well done sir.
Posted By: ohiostate

Re: WI Gun Deer Season - Nov 2010 - 11/28/2010 6:43 PM

where did you get the gun holder?? never seen one like that thanks WORM
Posted By: badkitty

Re: WI Gun Deer Season - Nov 2010 - 11/28/2010 7:47 PM

Good job - Congrats! Nice pics, really like the porcupine pic!

Re: WI Gun Deer Season - Nov 2010 - 11/28/2010 9:22 PM

Originally Posted By: ohiostate
where did you get the gun holder?? never seen one like that thanks WORM

That is a Quiet Hide Holster. It was my first time using it and liked it very much. Big improvement over the Uncle Mike's version I was previously using.

Quiet Hide Holsters Webpage
Posted By: Cruiser

Re: WI Gun Deer Season - Nov 2010 - 11/29/2010 12:33 AM

Congratulations! There is nothing better then hunting with your dad.
Posted By: Grendel

Re: WI Gun Deer Season - Nov 2010 - 11/30/2010 1:03 PM

Well done!
Posted By: mwal

Re: WI Gun Deer Season - Nov 2010 - 11/30/2010 4:02 PM

Great hunt and love the photos.

Mwal
Posted By: onesonek

Re: WI Gun Deer Season - Nov 2010 - 12/05/2010 1:16 AM

Sounds like a great time! Also I'm happy to hear, that the holster is sevring you well!!!
Dave
Posted By: white eagle

Re: WI Gun Deer Season - Nov 2010 - 12/14/2010 1:32 AM

where do you hunt
beautiful deer nice hunt
I haven't seen a doe that big for quite some time
Posted By: Shortgun

Re: WI Gun Deer Season - Nov 2010 - 12/14/2010 11:17 PM

Congratulations!! Time spent with family is time WELL spent especially when y'all are hunting. My brother and I haven't hunted in several years and hopefully in 2011 things will change. Dad's been gone 4 years.... On our last hunt together I took a small buck and he seen several deer but didn't take one.. He said he just enjoyed watching them work their way through. That was his last time hunting. He was as you said "soaking it all in".

Shortgun

Re: WI Gun Deer Season - Nov 2010 - 12/14/2010 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: white eagle
where do you hunt

Up in Douglas County, Zone 2. Our property surrounded by the Brule River State Forest.

Sortgun... yes, I think I'm still soaking it in (and digesting some of it too, if you know what I mean).

Erik
Posted By: Roger in NC

Re: WI Gun Deer Season - Nov 2010 - 12/15/2010 1:03 PM

Thanks for the story and the photos. I'm gonna have to check out those Quiet Hide holsters. Congrats on a memorable hunt.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums