Handgunhunt

Nickel vs Brass cases

Posted By: Andyhunter

Nickel vs Brass cases - 02/11/2004 4:00 AM

I received my reloading kit today and i set it up and started getting some brass ready by putting it in the tumbler. I pulled out some of the .375JDJ brass and some 45/70 brass, and now I have a question; should I keep the nickel plated brass, or should I chuck it and use the brass ones?
I can remember that JD stopped selling the nickel plated stuff, because of the problems of it chambering. I actually have 5 rounds that won't even chamber in my Contender barrel.
Posted By: Hawkeye

Re: Nickel vs Brass cases - 02/11/2004 5:49 PM

The main problem I have found with the nickel cases is they seem to scratch my dies after several loadings. I have many .375JDJ nickel cases that have scratches on them and just put them away. I'm trying to get back to all brass. I use the nickel for several loadings and then put them aside. Never had any trouble chambering or sizing with them.

Mike
Posted By: Recoil

Re: Nickel vs Brass cases - 02/11/2004 9:12 PM

I tried forming nickel .444 cases when I got my 375JDJ some years back and I almost got one stuck in my Hornady die. I tried using Hornady Unique case lube which has not failed me on any of my wildcats but I still could not size those darn nickel cases. No more nickel cases for me when forming 375JDJ's.

Dave
Posted By: Lone Eagle

Re: Nickel vs Brass cases - 02/11/2004 10:07 PM

I have used the nickle to form 358JDJ. I have not had much problem forming the case. I have had problems with the nickle flaking off at the mouth.

The nickle cases sure look good but I will buy brass from now on.

Jeff
Posted By: IKE

Re: Nickel vs Brass cases - 02/12/2004 11:45 AM

I've only used nickel cases twice (357 mag and 7mm08) and both times I had to have the FL sizing die replaced because the cases scratched the inside of the die.....no more nickel for me.
Posted By: mike.44

Re: Nickel vs Brass cases - 03/16/2012 12:57 PM

Nickle doesn't seem to last as long for me. They split lengthways.
Posted By: Tuner

Re: Nickel vs Brass cases - 03/31/2012 2:06 PM

Bright and shiny does not work for me for hunting and for that reason alone I would not use nickle brass. I have heard that the nickel is harder on dies and would think that in forming a wild cat just the difference in the hardness of the metals would probably lead to flaking.
Posted By: cfish2

Re: Nickel vs Brass cases - 03/31/2012 2:16 PM

In my straight wall ammo i have used it for years without any problems. I can see where fire forming could create problems though. Just reloaded some 45 colt ammo in winchester nickel brass that I had saved from factory ammo I shot. No problems with this last batch. But I have heard others say the same thing about chambering problems.
Posted By: racksmasher

Re: Nickel vs Brass cases - 03/31/2012 5:08 PM

I use the nickel for straight wall stuff and non wildcat rounds.
Posted By: 98Redline

Re: Nickel vs Brass cases - 04/01/2012 4:18 PM

Zombie post from 2004
Posted By: cfish2

Re: Nickel vs Brass cases - 04/01/2012 4:31 PM

Posted By: S.B.

Re: Nickel vs Brass cases - 04/08/2012 4:23 PM

Nickel cartridge cases were originally made for LEOs. When cops put brass casing in leather loops tanned with animal fats they formed veridsgris(green mold) on them( read problems with quick reloads), this was one sulution. Another was to tan bullet carriers in vegtable oils?
Steve
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums