Handgunhunt

Which sould I buy Ruger Bisley or Super Blackhawk?

Posted By: Mike Hefner

Which sould I buy Ruger Bisley or Super Blackhawk? - 05/23/2011 10:40 PM

OK, I know I ruled out what I considered "too heavy" a while ago
but my tax refund sure helps... lessen the load!

All I've been reading suggests... the best caliber is the 44 Rem Mag for an old fart like me... even if all I can get is one or two shots at an attacking Black Bear at less than 20 yards.

I ruled out the S&W 629... too light, and a barrel for my TC Contender... "what if I needed a second shot?".

Would you agree the 7 1/2" barrel is OK?
Again this is a "backup" while Coyote hunting in NW PA.

Sorry to be such pest.... but in the last year I've traded in more useless, crap than I can think of.

Mike
Posted By: mikefrompa

Re: Which sould I buy Ruger Bisley or Super Blackhawk? - 05/23/2011 11:02 PM

Personally, I like the looks of the SBH better. Had one many yrs. ago and enjoyed it very much.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Which sould I buy Ruger Bisley or Super Blackhawk? - 05/23/2011 11:27 PM

I am a Bisley man, thru and thru. For a back-up gun a shorter barrel might be less intrusive. The 5-1/2" Bisleys that Lipsey's and Davidson's have contracted are plenty and reasonable in price on the used market. The 44 will offer more factory ammo options but I prefer the 45LC.
Posted By: racksmasher

Re: Which sould I buy Ruger Bisley or Super Blackhawk? - 05/23/2011 11:53 PM

X2 on the shorter barrel, maybe a blackhawk 4 5/8 or a redhawk 4 or 5", chambered in 44 mag or 45 colt.
Posted By: cfish2

Re: Which sould I buy Ruger Bisley or Super Blackhawk? - 05/23/2011 11:53 PM

I have owned 4 different super black hawks. And have just recently purchased my first bisley framed six gun about three months ago. I will never go back. It is so much nicer to shoot then the black hawks. Just a more confortable gun to shoot and a much better grip. Just my .02 worth.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Which sould I buy Ruger Bisley or Super Blackhawk? - 05/24/2011 12:03 AM

Originally Posted By: s4s4u
I am a Bisley man, thru and thru. For a back-up gun a shorter barrel might be less intrusive. The 5-1/2" Bisleys that Lipsey's and Davidson's have contracted are plenty and reasonable in price on the used market. The 44 will offer more factory ammo options but I prefer the 45LC.

Amen! My exact sentiments. The Bisley handles recoil much better in my hands than the plow handle.
Posted By: KRal

Re: Which sould I buy Ruger Bisley or Super Blackhawk? - 05/24/2011 12:28 AM

Bisley!

Re: Which sould I buy Ruger Bisley or Super Blackhawk? - 05/24/2011 12:55 AM

What grips?
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: Which sould I buy Ruger Bisley or Super Blackhawk? - 05/24/2011 12:55 AM

You really need to hold both, most people as you see like the Bisley but there are those that don't like them as much as the standard grip. All the guns I build in big calibers have the Bisley fram as it allows better control of the recoil the other good thing is they are longer so if you have bigger hands a bisley may feel better in your hand. With all that being said if I have to make a quick shot I prefer a standard SBH grip as it points more naturaly for me

Re: Which sould I buy Ruger Bisley or Super Blackhawk? - 05/24/2011 12:57 AM

Do you know if it available in 6 1/2" ?
Posted By: H2OBUG

Re: Which sould I buy Ruger Bisley or Super Blackhawk? - 05/24/2011 1:15 AM

Go 5 1/2 Bisley or 7 1/2 if you ever plan to add a scope.. If you go SBH go 4 5/8

I like 45 colt best but if you do not hand load go 44 mag

In the SBH the 41 mag is nice too.

Re: Which sould I buy Ruger Bisley or Super Blackhawk? - 05/24/2011 11:07 AM

Originally Posted By: wapitirod
You really need to hold both, most people as you see like the Bisley but there are those that don't like them as much as the standard grip. All the guns I build in big calibers have the Bisley fram as it allows better control of the recoil the other good thing is they are longer so if you have bigger hands a bisley may feel better in your hand. With all that being said if I have to make a quick shot I prefer a standard SBH grip as it points more naturaly for me

Yup. It would be best to handle both before deciding. Folks are truly split on their preferences.

Re: Which sould I buy Ruger Bisley or Super Blackhawk? - 05/24/2011 11:40 AM

Thanks to all!
The insite and info has been most helpful.
Will handle each and decide.
Mike

Re: Which sould I buy Ruger Bisley or Super Blackhawk? - 05/24/2011 1:11 PM

Best to not only handle them, but also shoot them. It is a completely different experience with each.

Re: Which sould I buy Ruger Bisley or Super Blackhawk? - 05/24/2011 1:26 PM

Originally Posted By: s4s4u
Best to not only handle them, but also shoot them. It is a completely different experience with each.

So very true.

Re: Which sould I buy Ruger Bisley or Super Blackhawk? - 05/24/2011 2:08 PM

Gentlemen,

Thanks again but unfortunately the nearby shops here in Western PA do not let one try them.
Posted By: Infantryhammer

Re: Which sould I buy Ruger Bisley or Super Blackhawk? - 05/24/2011 2:09 PM

Bisley's are only available in 7,1/2" in blued. There are 5,1/2" Stainless Ruger Bisley's from Lipsey's in 357 mag, 41 mag, 44 Special, and 45 Colt. I have the 45 Colt and love it. I have searched high and low, and have never found a Lipsey's Bisley in 44 mag, just 44 Special. I have that one too. I'm not sure if they ever ordered any 44 mags from Ruger. You can find these S/S Bisley's on http://www.gunbroker.com

Re: Which sould I buy Ruger Bisley or Super Blackhawk? - 05/24/2011 5:13 PM

Quote:
357 mag, 41 mag, 44 Special, and 45 Colt

They have a Bisley 44 Special with a 4-5/8" barrel that would make for nice carry, and easy shoootin' too.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Which sould I buy Ruger Bisley or Super Blackhawk? - 05/24/2011 5:44 PM

The Super Blackhawk is a fine all purpose handgun...Sorry I sold mine.

Re: Which sould I buy Ruger Bisley or Super Blackhawk? - 05/24/2011 8:06 PM

Held and dry fired the two, even a derringer in 45LC/410. Both were too big, and heavy and the derringer and the others were too time consuming and difficult to cock! Could not imagine defending myself with any of these at close range from a Black Bear! Maybe I read too many articles in Outdoor Life when I was a kid,but my biggest fear is to have a Black Bear attacking me!

I have the greatest respect for anyone on this forum who may have had a close encounter/attack with Bears!

After agonizing for months what to do I've decided to stay with my 9mm semiauto and hope I never encounter a Black Bear responding to my Coyote call!

Mike
Posted By: 430man

Re: Which sould I buy Ruger Bisley or Super Blackhawk? - 05/24/2011 8:12 PM

I am one that hates the Bisley but I have large hands and a large knuckle. It is also sensitive to hold and a 1/16" change in hold will move the POI.
I don't like the SBH and the square trigger guard either and I need Pachmeyer grips but I can shoot groups twice as tight as I can with a Bisley. Shift on the grip does little.
I will tell the truth here, give me one of each and I can not tell any difference in recoil between them. The hog leg might try to rise higher but the proper grip keeps it in check.
Those that believe in "roll" might feel better with the Bisley but a good grip stops "roll" with any grip.
Never make a decision based on what others like, only what works for you.
I bought one Bisley and sold it so fast I don't even remember it. I will say that it is really pretty.
Posted By: junebug

Re: Which sould I buy Ruger Bisley or Super Blackhawk? - 05/26/2011 2:52 AM

I have both Bisleys and Blackhawks,and both beat my knuckles without aftermarket grips. I like pachameyr better than hogue as
they let me get a proper grip faster. The only grips with a filler behind the guard I could find for a Bisley are from eagle grip co, so I made my own.Whatever you choose,practice with it till it is like an extention of your hand ,if there is even a slight chance you will need it.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums