Handgunhunt

Mildot measurements at various magnification

Posted By: Dan B.

Mildot measurements at various magnification - 11/20/2011 11:58 PM

I'm working with a Mueller 4.5-14X scope w/ mildot reticle. I'd like to recalc the mildot spacing at 14X instead of the standard 10X. I'm going to be using this scope on my Striker .260 Rem for hunting deer on a ridge where picking shot through tight spaces is very possible. So I'll likely always be using the scope on its highest setting...having my mildots and corresponding yardage corrected for 14X will save me time.

Can anyone help me figure out the new spacing??

Thanks.
Posted By: contenderfan

Re: Mildot measurements at various magnification - 11/21/2011 12:26 AM

a couple different posts I have seen state at 14x the mildot spacing equals 3.12" @ 100 yards.
Easiest way to do it would be use a yardstick or a target marked off in a 1" grid pattern. Set target/yardstick at 100 yards and see what spacing your dots equal with the scope set on 14x...you should be able to figure it pretty dang close.
Posted By: Dan B.

Re: Mildot measurements at various magnification - 11/21/2011 12:42 AM

I've tried that before......it's too easy to end up with a .25" mistake. I'll try your data and see what my rough calc's come up to.
Posted By: RioHondoHank

Re: Mildot measurements at various magnification - 11/21/2011 1:09 AM

Calculates to 2.57 inches

10/14 x 3.6
Posted By: subsonic

Re: Mildot measurements at various magnification - 11/21/2011 3:45 AM

My guess is that your scope isn't exactly 14x and you are only making a larger error by using the math than by using the yardstick.
Posted By: RioHondoHank

Re: Mildot measurements at various magnification - 11/21/2011 4:09 AM

If you want maximum accuracy using the yardstick method measure the distance across all the mildots on your reticle and divide by the number of spaces.
Posted By: Ernie

Re: Mildot measurements at various magnification - 11/21/2011 2:36 PM

When messing with this stuff, I always call Steve
\:\)

First thing I would do is contact Rich a Mueller and have him get that info to you.
E
 Originally Posted By: Dan B.
I'm working with a Mueller 4.5-14X scope w/ mildot reticle. I'd like to recalc the mildot spacing at 14X instead of the standard 10X. I'm going to be using this scope on my Striker .260 Rem for hunting deer on a ridge where picking shot through tight spaces is very possible. So I'll likely always be using the scope on its highest setting...having my mildots and corresponding yardage corrected for 14X will save me time.

Can anyone help me figure out the new spacing??

Thanks.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums