Handgunhunt

Still learning

Posted By: claytonfaulkner

Still learning - 11/23/2011 11:19 PM

Another bit of shooting today. I am getting better, but still not sufficient to hunt.

And note to self, don't use girlfriends pullover as a rest when shooting a revolver.

I am shooting right, even when resting on said pullover. I keep adjusting the scope left but I keep shooting right. I am not sure if I suck at shooting or if the scope is messed up.

So here is my plan. Shoot another box. Dry fire around my house as much as possible. If I still suck then I am getting a pistol rest and this contraption.

http://www.amazon.com/Paintball-Universal-Laser-Sight-Barrel/dp/B000GBARIS

Attach it to the barrel and shoot. I will set up a camera on a tripod close to the target (don't worry far enough away to not hit it) and see if it will show me what I am doing right before the gun fires. I know it seems a little gimmicky but I think it could be a nice training tool and allow me to "shoot" without going to the range (by dry firing).

And for the record who makes good brass? Should I be buying Winchester or Remington for practice rounds with the intention of reloading later?
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Still learning - 11/24/2011 12:25 AM

What manner of hold are you using on the gun? It sounds like you might be queezing the trigger with your whole hand(s) rather than just the end of your boogerpicker.
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: Still learning - 11/24/2011 3:44 AM

I agree, it sounds like your pulling the gun when your shooting.
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: Still learning - 11/24/2011 3:32 PM

The snap caps are a GREAT idea!

Is there anyone that can go with you to go shooting? It might even be worth it to pay for a leason or two at a reputable gun shop. Just a thought...
Posted By: Dave Tarbell

Re: Still learning - 11/24/2011 9:33 PM

Clayton maybe your just putting alot of pressure on yourself,it should be fun,make sure your grip is the same,same sight picture and squeeze the trigger and dont anticapate.
Posted By: contenderfan

Re: Still learning - 11/24/2011 10:43 PM

Hi Clayton, if memory serves me right your shooting a SRH? Next time you shoot, try having a friend load the cylinder for you with an unknown (to you) number of rounds...then settle in and shoot. Concentrate on your sight picture, grip, and trigger control while having your friend watch you carefully to see what happens when you drop the hammer on an empty chamber. Chances are you will know yourself if your flinching, but its always handy to have an extra set of eyes.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums