Handgunhunt

44 revolver.........

Posted By: asquires2

44 revolver......... - 12/02/2011 9:32 PM

Whats the idea barrel length for a hunting 44 revolver. This would be out to a 50yd gun.
Posted By: junebug

Re: 44 revolver......... - 12/02/2011 10:25 PM

As a primary hunting gun I like from 5.5 inches up to 10.5 with 7.5 being almost ideal. It handles well and has a good balance of velocity and portability. For a secondary gun I like A 4 5/8 th inch barrel.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: 44 revolver......... - 12/02/2011 10:36 PM

I cut my 7-1/2" Bisley down to 6" and love it. A 5-1/2" gun carries well, but a 7-1/2" gun may shoot better with irons due to the sight radius. I have optics on all my hunting guns so barrel length is pretty moot as far as that goes
Posted By: SChunter

Re: 44 revolver......... - 12/02/2011 11:54 PM

Asquires,

Hmmmm. Couple of questions for clarification which would affect my answers...

1. To be scoped? Iron sights? Or reflex red dot?

2. Single or double action?

Re: 44 revolver......... - 12/03/2011 1:40 AM

SChunter Im thinking iron sight no more than a 50yrder and Im thinking single action. I have a RSBHH with a red dot on it so Im leaning towards open sights.
Posted By: johnwilliams

Re: 44 revolver......... - 12/03/2011 4:07 AM

5 1/2 to 7" for me

Re: 44 revolver......... - 12/03/2011 4:09 AM

What kinda groups are you guys getting from a 5 1/2" at 50yrds?
Posted By: KRal

Re: 44 revolver......... - 12/03/2011 1:23 PM

Originally Posted By: asquires2
SChunter Im thinking iron sight no more than a 50yrder and Im thinking single action. I have a RSBHH with a red dot on it so Im leaning towards open sights.

RSBHH......great choice! You have pretty much answered your own question in regards to barrel length; the hunter only comes in 7 1/2". IMO its probably the best all round/all purpose length. The extra length is definitely helpful when using irons. What's great about the hunter is: you can quickly and easily, go from irons to optics. Not to mention, they're very accurate!

Re: 44 revolver......... - 12/03/2011 2:28 PM

Originally Posted By: KRal
 Originally Posted By: asquires2

RSBHH......great choice! You have pretty much answered your own question in regards to barrel length; the hunter only comes in 7 1/2". IMO its probably the best all round/all purpose length. The extra length is definitely helpful when using irons. What's great about the hunter is: you can quickly and easily, go from irons to optics. Not to mention, they're very accurate!

And just think I bought it cause it looks so cool!
Since my season is over with Im gonna sit down and really get to know my handguns!
Posted By: SChunter

Re: 44 revolver......... - 12/03/2011 3:10 PM

Like Kral said, with the SBHH you can easily go from irons to optics and back easily...but, if you are afflicted like the rest of us, a nice "partner gun" to the 7.5" gun would be a 4 5/8 to 6" unscoped 44 to be worn on the hip.

Welcome to the madness - multiple guns in the same calibers? Yep, just because.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: 44 revolver......... - 12/03/2011 3:34 PM

Originally Posted By: SChunter
Like Kral said, with the SBHH you can easily go from irons to optics and back easily...but, if you are afflicted like the rest of us, a nice "partner gun" to the 7.5" gun would be a 4 5/8 to 6" unscoped 44 to be worn on the hip.

Well said! Just because indeed!
Posted By: KRal

Re: 44 revolver......... - 12/03/2011 8:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Whitworth

You two should be ashamed!

Re: 44 revolver......... - 12/04/2011 2:56 AM

I didnt really wanna read your post SCHunter cause I do have issues! Thats my affliction , I have too many firearms to master just one. When I go to the range I have to make atleast 2 trips back to my truck. I took my Encore in 7.08 out today for the first time only to find out shes got good potentials, another caliber added to the collection

I would like to find a SS Bisley 5" barrel in 44 though.
Posted By: BBwheelgunner

Re: 44 revolver......... - 12/04/2011 9:38 PM

I agree!
tough to beat the Hunters. I have one in 45 Colt, and like it very much.

I agree on the 7 1/2" as a primary gun also. a shorty as my backup is next on my list
;\)
Posted By: junebug

Re: 44 revolver......... - 12/05/2011 3:44 AM

Asquires2
(I have to many firearms to master )
1 (Go to the bathroom and wash your mouth out with STRONG SOAP)
2 (Go sit in the corner till you come to your senses)
3 (send anything you can't master to me ,I will help you with your problem)
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 44 revolver......... - 12/05/2011 3:53 AM

I love my SBHH in .44mag. Coyote, 75 yds. One handed offhand dead center in the his chest head on. GREAT HANDGUN!

Re: 44 revolver......... - 12/05/2011 11:33 AM

Originally Posted By: junebug
Asquires2
(I have to many firearms to master )
1 (Go to the bathroom and wash your mouth out with STRONG SOAP)
2 (Go sit in the corner till you come to your senses)
3 (send anything you can't master to me ,I will help you with your problem)

You do know what this means, more time at the range!
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: 44 revolver......... - 12/05/2011 11:47 AM

Originally Posted By: KRal
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth

You two should be ashamed!

Someone had to say it -- LOL!
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums