Handgunhunt

chronograph

Posted By: mudcreek

chronograph - 02/14/2012 11:53 PM

Thinking about a chronograph. Simple. Gives me velocity and I don't care about all the other functions. Less than 150 dollars.
What are your suggestions?
Posted By: punkinslinger

Re: chronograph - 02/15/2012 12:03 AM

I have a "Shooting Chrony Beta" the blue one that folds all up into itself, have no idea what they sell for these days. I think I paid a little over a hundred bucks 20 years ago, still chugging along, been blown over by muzzle blast a time or two. Check your local shops or Midway, Grafs, Midsouth etc.. etc.. you should be able to find one that suits your needs.
Posted By: rlb

Re: chronograph - 02/15/2012 12:05 AM

Yes that is a good one. I've seen the rods shot off of them and they still worked.
Posted By: RioHondoHank

Re: chronograph - 02/15/2012 12:17 AM

I use a Shooting Chrony also. The one thing I would recommend over the basic model is to get one with a remote. Occasionally you will get an error and the unit needs to be reset by turning it off and back on. If you are using it at a range and don't have the remote model it means the range needs to be shut down before you go out to reset it.

Of course there are other bells and whistles available, but for most uses they are just fluff.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: chronograph - 02/15/2012 12:25 AM

Quote:
The one thing I would recommend over the basic model is to get one with a remote.

Echo that! It is well worth the extra few dollars.
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: chronograph - 02/15/2012 3:36 AM

I can't remember which model mine is but it's a Chrony also, it has the screen on the front but I added the printer which is a nice addition, especially if your shooting multiple calibers. My 300 Rum blew the whole unit over from just under 10 feet and even with the massive muzzle blast it still worked fine.
Posted By: pab1

Re: chronograph - 02/15/2012 6:01 AM

The Chrony is built tough. I have always been very careful shooting through my chronograph to ensure that I'm shooting above the unit. One day the range was snowed in. I wanted to test the velocity of some 270 gr GDSPs in a 10" scoped .44 mag Contender. Since I couldn't make it to the range I set it up on a snow bank at the end of the road. I had to lean over at an awkward angle to shoot. At the Chrony flew off the bank. I went over and picked it up to find that the bullet had passed through the hinge point and the rear sensor. I was not too happy with myself but the display screen showed "Error" so set it up again and fired another shot. After being a little more careful on the second shot I was surprised to find it still worked. Its been a couple years now and its still working with no problems other than an ugly reminder to be sure I'm shooting above the unit.

Posted By: wapitirod

Re: chronograph - 02/15/2012 8:25 AM

OOPS, lol, I've taken out my rods a couple times but so far I havn't touched the unit and hopefully I don't eat those words.
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: chronograph - 02/15/2012 12:49 PM

I bought a cheap Chrony and it had done everything I need. It was very humbling to spend time with it and my small humble collection…
Posted By: tex44hunter

Re: chronograph - 02/15/2012 1:04 PM

I also bought the cheapest model that worked fine even after blowing part of the face off from muzzle blast from 7mm Rem mag(instructions tell you how far to set away from muzzle- believe it)
Posted By: Reno41

Re: chronograph - 02/16/2012 3:42 AM

I have the alpha master chrony from midway 124.00 I made a stand from an old projector screen it works great I really like the remote, don't have to get up to reset.

Reno41
Posted By: lone hunter

Re: chronograph - 02/16/2012 7:58 PM

I have the Alpha Chrony I think (am at work) and it has worked fine for about 25 yrs. If I did it over again I would get the one with a remote. The printer is nice also.
Posted By: Team Amish 1

Re: chronograph - 02/17/2012 3:56 AM

Competition Electronics (CED) has a ProChrono model for about $100 that is really nice and lightweight. It mounts onto a tripod by means of a thread. I have two because I got one for free. The second is still unused because the other has been holding up for several years. And yes, it does get used quite a bit. Good product.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums