Handgunhunt

MN Hangun Regs?

Posted By: 240

MN Hangun Regs? - 03/24/2012 2:22 PM

My wife is trying to talk me into moving the family out to MN to live near her family. What are the MN regs for handgun hunting? Min barrel length? use cast bullets? Cal limitations? Single shots? Thanks all you MN residents!
Posted By: BBwheelgunner

Re: MN Hangun Regs? - 03/24/2012 3:13 PM

"LEGAL FIREARmS (INcLUDES HANDGUNS) FOR BIG GAmE
• It is at least .220 caliber and has center fire ignition; • It is loaded only with single projectile ammunition; • The projectile used has a soft point or is an expanding bullet type;* • The muzzleloader (long gun or handgun) used cannot be loaded at the
breech (muzzleloading revolvers are not legal for taking big game); • The smooth-bore muzzleloader used is at least .45 caliber and • The rifled muzzleloader used is at least .40 caliber; • Muzzleloaders with scopes are legal during the regular firearms deer
seasons, but are not allowed during the muzzleloader season except by special permit for hunters with a medically certified visual impairment."

This is right from the MN DNR rules and regulations book as of 2011. as for cast bullets, it reads like they would be illegal, but I have never talked to a CO about it before and honestly have hunted with them without giving it much more thought.
Posted By: 240

Re: MN Hangun Regs? - 03/24/2012 7:14 PM

Thanks BB, I guess cast would be okay, you could say those bullets are soft enough to expand. They wouldn't be able to prove you wrong in the field.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: MN Hangun Regs? - 03/24/2012 9:02 PM

Originally Posted By: 240gr&up
Thanks BB, I guess cast would be okay, you could say those bullets are soft enough to expand. They wouldn't be able to prove you wrong in the field.

Just put a little dimple in the nose of the slug and call it a hollow point ;-)

I doubt most CO's know a hard cast from a soft point so wouldn't really worry. As you can see the regs are pretty open, too open IMO but they are what they are.

Re: MN Hangun Regs? - 03/25/2012 12:51 AM

Originally Posted By: 240gr&up

no problem. yeah I wouldn't worry too much about it. Like you said it would be hard to prove it
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: MN Hangun Regs? - 03/25/2012 2:38 AM

Cast bullets do have the ability to expand. The turn “non-expanding” bullets usually comes from dangerous game rounds that are not meant to expand.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: MN Hangun Regs? - 03/25/2012 5:05 AM

Originally Posted By: TCTex.
Cast bullets do have the ability to expand. The turn “non-expanding” bullets usually comes from dangerous game rounds that are not meant to expand.

That would be correct, but I think the reg here in MN is intended more for police/military and milsurp stuff that is cheap and plentiful.

Re: MN Hangun Regs? - 03/25/2012 8:57 PM

Originally Posted By: s4s4u
 Originally Posted By: TCTex.

That would be correct, but I think the reg here in MN is intended more for police/military and milsurp stuff that is cheap and plentiful.

Yep that was my thoughts exactly
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums