Handgunhunt

Powder scales

Posted By: cfish2

Powder scales - 04/28/2012 3:21 AM

Guys, I am getting ready to take a step into the 21st century and purchase an electronic powder scale/ dispenser. I am looking at the Lyman 1200DPS 3. Have also looked at the RCBS equivalent which is 120.00 more. Anyone with experience positive and negative regarding these two brands lets hear them!
Posted By: Chris Abbott

Re: Powder scales - 04/28/2012 2:12 PM

I have no experience with the Lyman, the rcbs on the other hand seems very dependable. Can't say how many thousands of rounds have been done but it has never failed. A tenth of a grain over is a issue sometimes but it shows it on the screen very well. And a tenth has not affected my loads on most of my cartridges. I have the hornady dispenser scale also and its a great bang for less a buck.
Posted By: ahandgunhunter

Re: Powder scales - 04/28/2012 4:14 PM

i also have the hornady, going on about a year with it best monay i have spent on reloading equipment.

Re: Powder scales - 04/28/2012 4:19 PM

Does the Hornady measure and weigh? And can it be programmed like the RCBS and the Lyman?
Posted By: Chris Abbott

Re: Powder scales - 04/28/2012 5:14 PM

The hornady does dispense and weigh just the same as the others. The only difference is it does not count how many charges you've done in a session. Its very easy to calibrate, and it has some great safety features.

Re: Powder scales - 04/28/2012 5:31 PM

Cool, thnx for the info. I will have to check it out.
Posted By: Darrell C

Re: Powder scales - 04/28/2012 6:26 PM

I have the pact brand that I am going to sell scale and dispenser . Just like new , 200 dollars work great. I have two of them, friend of mine stop reloading and I got his, do not need both.
Posted By: wvhitman

Re: Powder scales - 04/28/2012 10:36 PM

I've had the Lyman since it came out. Updated it with the faster motor. This is the only scale I use for loading tiny Whisper loads. Never any problems.

Re: Powder scales - 04/29/2012 1:47 AM

Thnx Doc! That is the model I have been eyeballing!
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: Powder scales - 04/29/2012 5:37 AM

I also use the Lyman DPS 1200 and I've never had a problem with mine. It's always weighed accurately and anymore even if I'm doing bulk loading straight out of my manual dispenser I use the scale on the lyman, hell I even use the scale on it to weigh my arrows.

Re: Powder scales - 04/29/2012 12:32 PM

Thnx Rod!
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums