Handgunhunt

Cast Performance bullets

Posted By: gene

Cast Performance bullets - 05/03/2012 1:57 PM

I have a 357mag 6" smtih. Looking at reloading some and wondering about the 180gr for hunting and running them about 1150ft/sec. just whitetail say 50-75yrds. I see there is some 200 grs also. any body got any suggestion. Also looking to order some 300gr or 275gr for my 44mag 6 1/2 smith. Does have a leo on it and plan to hunt deer and bear. I also like to shoot out to 100 to 150 yrds with it. Will you loose a lot of penatration with the 275gr out to 125yrds. will the difference in speed make up for the weight of the 300gr at say 1200ft/sec. and the 275gr at 1300ft/sec. Any ideas will help thanks
Posted By: 98Redline

Re: Cast Performance bullets - 05/03/2012 3:03 PM

I can't comment on the .357 as I haven't loaded up any heavy cast in quite awhile.

With the .44, I like the heavier bullets. 300-320gr I think is where the 44mag really shines. Of the two loads you suggested I would go with the 300@1200. While both have nearly identical energy and the 275 will shoot just a bit flatter (~1.2"), the Taylor KO number on the 300 is just a tad better.

For deer sized game either will work as the two are very close ballistically. With bear added to the mix, I would stick with the heavier bullet.

That being said, I don't think you want to feed your Smith a steady diet of those 300 grainers with full hunting charges behind them. The Smiths, while great guns have been known to get a little loose after getting hammered with full house loads for awhile.
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: Cast Performance bullets - 05/03/2012 3:50 PM

The only thing I would be worried about is just them chambering in your cylinder. Point in fact, I have a 190gr Ranch Dog mold that I bought for my 357 Max, the bullets will not seat properly in my 357 Mag Contender…

Speaking of Ranch Dogs, they have a 175gr bullet that was specifically designed for the 357 Mag. If you don’t cast there is a company that does for Ranch Dog… FWIW…

Duane
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: Cast Performance bullets - 05/03/2012 3:53 PM

I loaded some 180's for my wife to use as a back up gun since bears are common where I live but that was only to allow penetration for awkward angles. For deer I think you might want to consider a premium expanding bullet. The 180gr Partition is my favorite if you can find them but something along those lines might serve you better. JMHO

I also agree on the S&W, I've heard some guys say they haven't had any problems but I've seen other guns rattle themselves loose or flat out break. The cylinder locking mechanism is the main weak point.
Posted By: cfish2

Re: Cast Performance bullets - 05/04/2012 3:24 AM

I shoot the 180 cast performance in my blackhawk and they are very accurate. They will definately drop a deer.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Cast Performance bullets - 05/04/2012 11:10 AM

I have a box of the 180s but haven't shot any game with them. I have used a number of other calibers and weights, and am very happy with their accuracy and performance on game.
Posted By: cfish2

Re: Cast Performance bullets - 05/04/2012 11:19 AM

My next hog hunting trip to fl I'm going to use the 357 with the 180s!I need to get ahold of this video I saw a few years ago. The guide I use down in Fl made a video and on the video is this rather large Cuban man hunting with a snubby 38 with +Ps. He walks up to a hog that the dogs just got called off and gets about 25 feet away when he shoots(chicken little). He wounds it on the first shot and the thing makes a bee line for him. He turns and runs all the while screaming and shooting over his shoulder. The guide shoots the hog with a 12ga. The camera man turns and keeps filming that guy as he runs about 50 yards and has to stop cause hes worn out. My buddy and I were staying in the guides trailer in the woods that night and we sat and watched that over and over laughing our backsides off. I never laughed so hard in my life.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Cast Performance bullets - 05/04/2012 11:40 AM

Originally Posted By: cfish2
My next hog hunting trip to fl I'm going to use the 357 with the 180s!I need to get ahold of this video I saw a few years ago. The guide I use down in Fl made a video and on the video is this rather large Cuban man hunting with a snubby 38 with +Ps. He walks up to a hog that the dogs just got called off and gets about 25 feet away when he shoots(chicken little). He wounds it on the first shot and the thing makes a bee line for him. He turns and runs all the while screaming and shooting over his shoulder. The guide shoots the hog with a 12ga. The camera man turns and keeps filming that guy as he runs about 50 yards and has to stop cause hes worn out. My buddy and I were staying in the guides trailer in the woods that night and we sat and watched that over and over laughing our backsides off. I never laughed so hard in my life.

Would have loved to have seen that! Haha!
Posted By: MS Hitman

Re: Cast Performance bullets - 05/04/2012 12:33 PM

I load the LYMAN 358429 at slower velocities than what your are looking for and haven't recovered one from a deer yet.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums