Handgunhunt

Help with reloading manuals please

Posted By: Raptortrapper

Help with reloading manuals please - 08/08/2012 4:07 AM

I want to get two reloading manuals. I just got my press and all other equipment, but no manuals. I will be loading for the 460 smith and wesson out of an encore with a 14" barrel. I'd like to know if there are a couple manuals that cover this combination pretty well or not.

I've read some reviews where some manuals don't cover certain cartridges very well, so don't want to buy a manual that will be of no use for the 460.

Thanks!
Posted By: sc1911cwp

Re: Help with reloading manuals please - 08/08/2012 4:37 AM

Most times it just depends on what bullet you intend to use in your load. You use that manufacturers load data. There may be other options if you use cast bullets. Another thing you can do is go to the S&W Forum and list the question there. I just checked my books and have no loads listed. Then again, when I owned one there were no bullets to be had as they wouldn't release the data. Only Hornady had it. It's different now. Check the website MD Smiths Reloading Pages, The Handloaders Bench, Load Data, and just google it.
Posted By: Mark Schronce

Re: Help with reloading manuals please - 08/08/2012 12:01 PM

Sierra manual has a large handgun section, also a Single shot handgun section. Sierra will send you info on new rounds not in there manual. Hodgon has load data online.

Mark
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Help with reloading manuals please - 08/08/2012 2:31 PM

I would suggest one manual from the bullet maker and one from the powder supplier you intend to use.

I use nothing but Hodgdon's powder and they have free data on their website.
Posted By: Gary

Re: Help with reloading manuals please - 08/08/2012 2:35 PM

I would start with the Hodgdon manual.
Posted By: wtroper

Re: Help with reloading manuals please - 08/08/2012 3:19 PM

I use the Hodgdon manual as a primary reference, but I also use the Speer manual. I have numerous manuals but these are the two that I use the most.

Re: Help with reloading manuals please - 08/08/2012 4:06 PM

I planned on using the hornady bullets as they are now carrying them at Walmart! They have the 250 grain XTP bullets that resemble the A-Frame bullets that I can't seem to find for sale anywhere.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Help with reloading manuals please - 08/08/2012 4:47 PM

Quote:
They have the 250 grain XTP

That is what I use in the 45 Colt and it works great. It has a maximum impact velocity of 1,600 FPS according to Hornady. If you are going to run that 460 for all its worth you may want to look at the XTP-MAG's in 240 or 300 grain.

I'm sure Wally can get those for you as well.
Posted By: SChunter

Re: Help with reloading manuals please - 08/08/2012 5:26 PM

I'm with Rod - in the Hornady XTP line-up, you're gonna want the 240/300Mag bullets. For other jacketed offerings, consider Nosler Partitions (discontinued but available), Barnes X, Swift A-frames, or even the discontinued FA JFP bullets. The XTP Mags will be the least expensive option.

You will want a tough bullet at those velocities out of the 460 S&W. .
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: Help with reloading manuals please - 08/08/2012 5:33 PM

If I remember right, the Horndady 250gr FTX was designed for the 450 Bushmasters and does well in the 460 Encore platform.

The new Lyman manual has the 460 S&W in the TC section as well FWIW...

Duane

Re: Help with reloading manuals please - 08/08/2012 11:31 PM

Thanks for all the help fellas. Got the hogdon manual on order. Need to decide on one more.
Posted By: KYODE

Re: Help with reloading manuals please - 08/09/2012 3:51 AM

i do not have the most recent, but i've always liked the hornady manual really well and sierra second from that. i need to pick up the most recent hornady. lyman is usually fairly popular, but i've never had one. i have an older nosler that i did not care that much for. not sure if newer versions are better.
Posted By: sc1911cwp

Re: Help with reloading manuals please - 08/10/2012 12:39 AM

Check out the Lee manual. It has listed a lot of bullet types from jacketed through cast bullets. I just checked online and it said 460 S&W has been added. I like it because it has lead bullets which I reload a lot. Many times lead bullets are not covered in many manuals unless that particular company makes them.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums