Handgunhunt

Ruger single six

Posted By: Mike_B

Ruger single six - 01/13/2013 6:56 AM

I shot my single six 22 mag this evening & wondered how many of you guys enjoyed this pistol & cartridge
Posted By: bladesmith14731

Re: Ruger single six - 01/13/2013 10:17 AM

I really enjoy mine, the first critter I ever took with a hand gun was with my single six.
Posted By: Dan B.

Re: Ruger single six - 01/13/2013 11:51 AM

Always wanted one but have not acquired it yet. I had a .22 Magnum in a 14" Contender. It shot GREAT but was expensive to shoot.....can reload a Hornet cheaper!
Posted By: 500WE

Re: Ruger single six - 01/13/2013 12:32 PM

I've never been without at least one Single Six since 1963. Four live here now, and I enjoy shooting all of them. One of the great handgun buys for any shooter.
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: Ruger single six - 01/13/2013 2:19 PM

I've been thinking on a single 10 for a while. I prefer a dedicated 22 and 22WMR because of the difference in bullet diameter. I've owned several single six's and enjoyed all of them, I just used the mag cylinder very little.

Re: Ruger single six - 01/13/2013 9:29 PM

I don't have the LR cylinder for this one. I've inquired with Ruger about one but never did send it off. I would rather have a Bearcat for a dedicated 22 pistol.
Posted By: racksmasher

Re: Ruger single six - 01/14/2013 12:38 AM

I have a 4 5/8 and a 10 1/2, lots of fun.
Posted By: bluecow

Re: Ruger single six - 01/14/2013 12:43 AM

been woods bumming with my single six for 30+ years. its the last handgun to go away. maybe im just not that good but ive not seen enough dif in accuracy between 22lr / 22mag to matter.

Re: Ruger single six - 01/14/2013 3:05 AM

depends on the individual gun some shoot the mag ok but almost none shoot them very well. A 22LR bullet will measure .218-.219 and a mag bullet will measure .223-.224 The bore on the six's works best with the smaller bullet whereas for a mag a centerfire 22 barrel will work best which is why high end guns like the FA aren't convertible.
Posted By: bigbore442001

Re: Ruger single six - 01/14/2013 11:29 AM

You may laugh but it is my most carried sixgun. I have a Simply Rugged pancake holster with in the pants straps to carry concealed. I know it sounds odd but that gun goes with me almost everywhere in the woods as well as in town, so to speak.

I get really great accuracy with Hornady's new Critical Defense ammunition.
Posted By: 500WE

Re: Ruger single six - 01/14/2013 1:25 PM

Rod, the FA 97 and 83 can indeed be purchased with both .22 LR and .22 WMR cylinders as convertibles.
Posted By: KRal

Re: Ruger single six - 01/14/2013 2:33 PM

Originally Posted By: wapitirod
depends on the individual gun some shoot the mag ok but almost none shoot them very well. A 22LR bullet will measure .218-.219 and a mag bullet will measure .223-.224 The bore on the six's works best with the smaller bullet whereas for a mag a centerfire 22 barrel will work best which is why high end guns like the FA aren't convertible.

Rod, I have a FA M97 with the interchangeable cylinders. I agree on the accuracy issues with single-six's. I've had two and neither shot the mag cylinder well. Don't know what FA does different, but both my cylinders will shoot equally accurate (very accurate). I haven't checked it, but FA post all their specs for each given model/caliber/barrel length. It may be that FA found a "happy medium" on bore diameter for the 22lr/mag.

Re: Ruger single six - 01/14/2013 10:18 PM

Originally Posted By: 500WE
Rod, the FA 97 and 83 can indeed be purchased with both .22 LR and .22 WMR cylinders as convertibles.

really the ones I had seen were cal specific, they won't blow up on you but anytime you change bullet diameter up to .006" from one extreme to the other you will have accuracy issues. Ruger finally figured this out by building the Single 10 in 22LR only and the Single 9 in 22 Mag only. Think about it would you shoot a .481 cal bullet in your 475 or a .506 bullet in your WE, only if the bore was so far off that custom cast bullets sized to that diameter were all that would shoot.

Re: Ruger single six - 01/14/2013 10:20 PM

Originally Posted By: KRal
 Originally Posted By: wapitirod

Rod, I have a FA M97 with the interchangeable cylinders. I agree on the accuracy issues with single-six's. I've had two and neither shot the mag cylinder well. Don't know what FA does different, but both my cylinders will shoot equally accurate (very accurate). I haven't checked it, but FA post all their specs for each given model/caliber/barrel length. It may be that FA found a "happy medium" on bore diameter for the 22lr/mag.

that would be my guess, as I said in my other post I hadn't seen one but that doesn't always mean anything. I know FA wouldn't do it if they hadn't figured something out.
Posted By: wheelguns

Re: Ruger single six - 01/15/2013 12:13 AM

Rod i have a 97 with both cylinders and both shoot great. The mag cylinder does on average shoot a little tighter.

Re: Ruger single six - 01/15/2013 12:47 AM

I've had a look at these FA revolvers, very nice. Thing is though, I have a single six in 22 mag & that's what I shoot for fun. To me it's more fun than the MKIII I bought for my son, It's a 6 7/8" hunter model. My single has a 6 1/2" barrel. Maybe someday I could get me an FA of some cal or another.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums