Handgunhunt

run on all gun supplies

Posted By: campbellkids

run on all gun supplies - 03/12/2013 3:16 AM

This gun run is just getting worse. The shelves are bare again and the pistol racks are empty. I see men with their wives spending money that was next months mortage on guns but cannot use it because they have no ammo. It is crazy, will it end? Everygun store should have lots of cash stockpiled as long as they had supplies to sell before the maddness started.
Posted By: chas3stix

Re: run on all gun supplies - 03/12/2013 1:49 PM

The ammunition shelves at Bass Pro Shops looked like Mother Hubbard's Cupboard!.....MT
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: run on all gun supplies - 03/12/2013 2:37 PM

Originally Posted By: chas3stix
The ammunition shelves at Bass Pro Shops looked like Mother Hubbard's Cupboard!.....MT

Same with Cabelas in Grand Junction. They get a shipment on Friday, it hits the shelves Saturday morning, they open at 9:00, and whatever little stuff they did get in is usually gone by 9:30. The sales guy over there told me he has gotten to the point where he HATES Saturday morning because of all the arguments that happen.
Posted By: Zack

Re: run on all gun supplies - 03/12/2013 2:38 PM

Its not so bad here, there is one store that manages to keep things on the shelf, not the full supply they'd normaly have but there is ammo there and a decent amount of powder and some bullets in a few calibers.

One of the up sides to California, not nearly as many gun owners I guess
Posted By: lamina1982

Re: run on all gun supplies - 03/12/2013 4:19 PM

Buffalo gun center seems ok on most,prices only up a lil on some stuff, still no 22lr anywhere tho
Posted By: esoxman50

Re: run on all gun supplies - 03/12/2013 5:24 PM

Here in northern Indiana it is much the same, hard to belive there are no 22 LR ammo to be had. What I don't understand is why there is no run on shot shells. You could fill the bed of your truck with shotgun ammo if you had a mind to but no handgun ammo or rimfire ammo.

Joe W
Posted By: cfish2

Re: run on all gun supplies - 03/12/2013 5:29 PM

Eastern NC is bare as well. Wally World occasionally has stuff but the local shops have cleaned out shelves.
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: run on all gun supplies - 03/12/2013 6:35 PM

Originally Posted By: esoxman50
Here in northern Indiana it is much the same, hard to belive there are no 22 LR ammo to be had. What I don't understand is why there is no run on shot shells. You could fill the bed of your truck with shotgun ammo if you had a mind to but no handgun ammo or rimfire ammo.

Joe W

it's because the vast majority of 22's and handguns are semi auto which means there is a better chance they will be affected by new gun legislation.
Posted By: wheeler45

Re: run on all gun supplies - 03/12/2013 7:21 PM

East central Indiana is dry.
Posted By: wvhitman

Re: run on all gun supplies - 03/12/2013 7:56 PM

My local gun shop has 100K+ primers, 300#+ powder, thousands of bullets (to load), ARs, rifles, but NO .22, .223 or handguns. His prices are 25% over retail. I learned from the Clinton ban. I'm good for a long time, and no I won't reload or sell components to anyone.
Several companies have told friends of mine it will loosen up in 6-9 months!
Posted By: wtroper

Re: run on all gun supplies - 03/12/2013 8:06 PM

+1 wvhitman. I too stocked up a good while back. Here in the panhandle of Texas, no 22, 223, 380, or 9mm ammo. Local store has not raised prices, but has sold out of about everything "vanilla" except 38 spl. Has plenty of them. However, he has a good supply of everything "odd-ball." No rifle or pistol primers & some powders are not there.

Shotgun shells are available; however, if you are looking for a specific brand & load, it may not be available. Recently, the local source could not get from his distributors any Rem Gun Club ammo for the local 4-H shooters. They had to change to Winchester.

Re: run on all gun supplies - 03/12/2013 8:17 PM

I've been told the same thing but it also depends alot on the political environment and especially whether or not there are anymore shootings in the near future. The presence of either well publicized serious gun restrictions or another tragedy will cause this to take off again and people will just buy up what is left over.
Posted By: linebaugh

Re: run on all gun supplies - 03/12/2013 11:53 PM

The thing that aggrevates me is the guys on gun auction sites taking advantage of the situation and doubling the price on reloading supplies. I hope the choke on their inventory when all this is over..
Posted By: BBwheelgunner

Re: run on all gun supplies - 03/12/2013 11:56 PM

Originally Posted By: linebaugh
The thing that aggrevates me is the guys on gun auction sites taking advantage of the situation and doubling the price on reloading supplies. I hope the choke on their inventory when all this is over..

they are making a buck, but definitely contributing to the problem!

Re: run on all gun supplies - 03/13/2013 12:00 AM

Originally Posted By: BBwheelgunner

they are making a buck, but definitely contributing to the problem!

You are 100% right about that. I wouldn't but from them, no matter how desperate things became. I would hunt with a spear first
\:D
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: run on all gun supplies - 03/13/2013 12:36 AM

Not just auction sites. Cheaper than dirt doubled the price of their 7.62x39 overnight. They will never get another cent of my money.
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: run on all gun supplies - 03/13/2013 12:37 AM

LOL

I was lucky enough to be buying molds and powder when people where buying ammo.

Linebaugh, I’ll make you an Osage orange longbow, don’t worry about the spear…

Duane

Re: run on all gun supplies - 03/13/2013 12:42 AM

Originally Posted By: TCTex.
LOL

Duane

Sounds great Duane, always up for a challenge. I think thats why I took up hunting with a pistol
Posted By: racksmasher

Re: run on all gun supplies - 03/13/2013 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: TCTex.
LOL

Duane
At times I just shake my head at you guy"s.

Re: run on all gun supplies - 03/13/2013 1:23 AM

up and down or side to side???

Ps, I have made a few traditional bows from scratch...

Re: run on all gun supplies - 03/13/2013 4:11 AM

Boise Cabelas and SLC Cabelas And all local stores are out of anything that is normal. Tons of primers though. Now brass is drying up fast. Shotgun shells are everywhere and tac shotguns are on sale, that will start the next run.
Posted By: wtroper

Re: run on all gun supplies - 03/13/2013 2:08 PM

Everyone must remember that in a "free economy" price is the factor that rations a short supply. If price gets too high, people will not buy, then prices decrease. You are simply observing what you learned in economics 101.

If the sellers did not raise the price, the short supply would be consumed even more quickly. We each focus on our own needs, desires and limitations. However, price will continue to ration short supplies until the economy of this country becomes completely controlled by the government.

I find it interesting that many posts on this forum blast away at the increasing powers of the Federal government and then also complain about the workings of the economic system that has been the foundation of this country since its beginning. IMHO, some times we can be a little shortsighted.

Re: run on all gun supplies - 03/13/2013 5:34 PM

I think that it is humorous that it was small rifle primers last time. This time it is 22LR

With the current price of 22LR’s, I will continue to reload my 22 Hornet.

I even looked at what was in stock. My local stores have a bunch of 17 HMR and or 17M2, but they are going from 20-30 a box of 50. I know in comparison for what it really is that isn’t bad, but I still can’t justify buying a TC barrel just for that purpose.

Duane
Posted By: Dan B.

Re: run on all gun supplies - 03/13/2013 8:54 PM

Originally Posted By: wtroper
Everyone must remember that in a "free economy" price is the factor that rations a short supply. If price gets too high, people will not buy, then prices decrease. You are simply observing what you learned in economics 101.

If the sellers did not raise the price, the short supply would be consumed even more quickly. We each focus on our own needs, desires and limitations. However, price will continue to ration short supplies until the economy of this country becomes completely controlled by the government.

I find it interesting that many posts on this forum blast away at the increasing powers of the Federal government and then also complain about the workings of the economic system that has been the foundation of this country since its beginning. IMHO, some times we can be a little shortsighted.

Great post........I was thinking the same thing the entire time.
Posted By: cfish2

Re: run on all gun supplies - 03/14/2013 12:50 AM

So I picked up 500 Winchester large pistol magnum primers today, or was that standard magnum or magnum standard. Lol and a pound of H110.

Re: run on all gun supplies - 03/14/2013 1:22 AM

I bought 5k of those off Gunbroker just before they got real stupid.

Re: run on all gun supplies - 03/14/2013 2:50 AM

Some people are purchasing just because of the run. A few years ago, someone started a scare that white rice was going to be scarce, one store started a two bag limit in Idaho Falls. Then two stores, then three and people who didn't even know how to use rice had to have a couple bags. The entire time, there was no shortage. Greed and the thought of being left out pushed a scare to all new heights.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums