Handgunhunt

What about a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible BN-36X?

Posted By: Mike Hefner

What about a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible BN-36X? - 05/20/2013 10:28 PM

Can I really change cylinders and shoot either 387 mag and/or 9mm?
What barrel length would you suggest?
Thanks,
Mike
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: What about a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible BN-36X? - 05/20/2013 10:51 PM

yes and the barrel length is a matter of personal choice, in general the longer the barrel the more accurate.

Re: What about a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible BN-36X? - 05/20/2013 11:26 PM

THANKS Wapitrod!

Re: What about a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible BN-36X? - 05/20/2013 11:46 PM

Anytime!
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: What about a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible BN-36X? - 05/21/2013 1:35 AM

The difference in the calibers is like. .003. The 357 being a 358 and the 9mm being a 355.

As for barrel length, I am going to give Rod a hard time and state Elmer's favorite length was 6in... LOL I really can't say much with the 17in Encores I have.
Posted By: 500WE

Re: What about a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible BN-36X? - 05/22/2013 11:26 AM

They will most commonly be found with 6 1/2" barrels, IMO.
Posted By: Ironsights

Re: What about a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible BN-36X? - 05/22/2013 5:50 PM

Originally Posted By: wapitirod
yes and the barrel length is a matter of personal choice, in general the longer the barrel the more accurate.

With a longer barrel you can achieve greater velocity, site radius will be better than a shorter barrel. But just because the barrel is longer doesn't mean it is more accurate. The 9mm ammo you shoot out the gun shouldn't ever be as dead on as the 38special or 357 stuff you put out of it. Skeeter skelton wrote some work on the 357/9mm convertable mite want to look that up. He favored a 5inch barrel for his guns unless he had a specific job it mind for it.

Re: What about a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible BN-36X? - 05/22/2013 6:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Ironsights
 Originally Posted By: wapitirod

With a longer barrel you can achieve greater velocity, site radius will be better than a shorter barrel. But just because the barrel is longer doesn't mean it is more accurate. The 9mm ammo you shoot out the gun shouldn't ever be as dead on as the 38special or 357 stuff you put out of it. Skeeter skelton wrote some work on the 357/9mm convertable mite want to look that up. He favored a 5inch barrel for his guns unless he had a specific job it mind for it.

That's why I put in general although a longer barrel also gives the bullet a better chance to stabilize if your talking a two or three inch barrel vs a 5" or longer. Which is why they make fully rifled shotgun barrels instead of just using a rifled choke for slugs.

Re: What about a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible BN-36X? - 05/23/2013 1:45 PM

I ordered it with a 6 1/2" barrel!
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums