Handgunhunt

Tapping a revolver for scope mount?

Posted By: FROSTY

Tapping a revolver for scope mount? - 02/23/2014 7:44 PM

I have a new stainless 10.5" Ruger Super Blackhawk. I am wanting to put a scope on the gun. I have heard that the Weaver clamp on Scope Mount will not work due to a increased thickness on the 10.5" barrel? If that is true what would it cost me to have it drilled & tapped and who would you guys recommend? Thanks in advance.

Chris
Posted By: Dan B.

Re: Tapping a revolver for scope mount? - 02/23/2014 7:46 PM

I just dropped my BH .357 Mag off to have drilled and tapped for a Leupold base. I've had the base for years and just recently found it again. That .357 will make an awesome plinking gun for the kids to learn with. My local smith charges $20.
Posted By: Dave Tarbell

Re: Tapping a revolver for scope mount? - 02/23/2014 9:17 PM

I think you have a real good idea Frosty,if you have to send it off there are several good places,but that is kind of a pain just to get it tapped.To ramble a bit how about a trigger and action job and maybe a couple of ports if you have to send it off.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Tapping a revolver for scope mount? - 02/23/2014 10:25 PM

I installed a D&T base from Jack Weigand on my Bisley and it was duck soup. You can buy the drill and tap as a set for about 10 bucks from Midway.
Posted By: junebug

Re: Tapping a revolver for scope mount? - 02/23/2014 11:00 PM

I have the Weaver clamp on mount on my 10 1/2 .44 BLACKHAWK and it is holding well with a 2 power scope. Don't know how well it would hold with one of the heavy variables. The guns zero hasn't changed in 2 years with the 2x. Drill and tap would be a stronger mount for heavier scopes.

Re: Tapping a revolver for scope mount? - 02/24/2014 2:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Dave Tarbell
I think you have a real good idea Frosty,if you have to send it off there are several good places,but that is kind of a pain just to get it tapped.To ramble a bit how about a trigger and action job and maybe a couple of ports if you have to send it off.

Dave,

Not a bad idea!!
Posted By: RedSS

Re: Tapping a revolver for scope mount? - 02/24/2014 6:56 AM

Frosty, is this the type of base you're looking for?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/248895/...wk-frame-silver

My original intent was to install a no-drill base on a well-used "base gun" SBH just to get it operational for the time being; the original plan for the gun was to eventually go to a custom 'smith for a full-on custom job sometime in the distant future.

It was a total disappointment, even with a lightweight red-dot. It kind-of-sort-of holds zero with mouse-fart .44 SPL, but beyond that, it will not. The only screw that really secures it from movement is the single screw that goes through the rear sight. I decided that the only way to make it worthwhile was to drill a few holes in the base and drill/tap some corresponding holes in the receiver or barrel to keep it from moving, as the base itself looks decent. In the end, after I got over the fear of weakening the receiver with the extra holes, I ended up buying this Weigand D&T mount: http://www.jackweigand.com/raswms.html

I D&T'd the 2 holes in the frame, mounted the red-dot, and have had no trouble since.

Re: Tapping a revolver for scope mount? - 02/28/2014 3:27 AM

Originally Posted By: junebug
I have the Weaver clamp on mount on my 10 1/2 .44 BLACKHAWK and it is holding well with a 2 power scope. Don't know how well it would hold with one of the heavy variables. The guns zero hasn't changed in 2 years with the 2x. Drill and tap would be a stronger mount for heavier scopes.

Junebug

Is your gun a Super Blackhawk or Blackhawk? I have read that the barrel on the 10.5 SBH is wider and that the Weaver clamp wont work?
Posted By: junebug

Re: Tapping a revolver for scope mount? - 03/03/2014 1:08 AM

Its a Super Blackhawk 10 1/2 in. So far it is holding fine but it is not a heavy or long scope at 2x. For something heavier or longer like a variable I would prefer a drill and tap mount.This IS NOT one of my primary hunting guns so if things come loose the worst that would happen is a missed rock or steel target.
My hunting setups are as bullet proof as I can make them.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums