Handgunhunt

Well, I finally got it!!!

Posted By: Zee

Well, I finally got it!!! - 05/12/2015 2:25 AM

A stainless 6" GP-100, that is.

I've been wanting one a couple years now. Kept talking myself out of it. Saying it wasn't worth the cost and being as I already had a 4" GP-100.......not enough difference.

Then, thinking I would be better served with a 10" barrel in .357 Mag for my G2 Contender......I had MGM build me one. I love it. But..........I still wanted that 6" GP-100 in the back of my head. Then.......all of a sudden........Midway had a clearance sale on their 2x Burris pistol scope. It would be perfect on a GP!!! I resisted..............they lowered the price............I resisted some more..........they lowered the price more............1 left...........I caved.

Well, I had the scope. So, I ordered the Weigand base. Now, I had both. Time to start shopping.

I looked for 2 months. Only place with a stainless 6" was GunBroker and they wanted more than I was willing to pay. Finally, after daily searching..........BudsGunShop got them in stock.

SOLD!!!

It was delivered today. Within minutes of getting it home, I had the scope mounted.

That Weigand base is stupid simple to mount!

It will fit in the same Blackhawk Shoulder Holster as my Ruger Toklat. Perfect!

Plan is to load 158gr Hornady XTP bullets for this gun.

Those should do nicely for deer and pigs out to 75 yards or so. I will be loading the 180gr Hornady XTP bullets in my 10" barreled G2 Contender pistol. Those should push to 125yards, I hope.

Well, my .357 Mag collection is finally complete.

S&W 340 M&P
4" Stainless GP-100
6" Stainless GP-100
10" G2 Contender

I'm a happy camper. Time to get loading! I have two guns that need loads worked up...............

Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Well, I finally got it!!! - 05/12/2015 2:48 AM

Quote:

welcome to the club ;-)

Re: Well, I finally got it!!! - 05/12/2015 2:51 AM

Originally Posted By: s4s4u
 Quote:

welcome to the club ;-)

You guys assuredly didn't help me resist the temptation. More akin to pushing me forward.
Posted By: Ernie

Re: Well, I finally got it!!! - 05/12/2015 3:39 AM

Enabling is an important responsibility.
Awesome rig!

Re: Well, I finally got it!!! - 05/12/2015 3:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Ernie
Enabling is an important responsibility.
Awesome rig!

Thanks much.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Well, I finally got it!!! - 05/12/2015 4:23 AM

Tis a mean lookin' rig you have there!
Posted By: REDHAWK1954

Re: Well, I finally got it!!! - 05/12/2015 8:36 AM

I have a GP 100 also. I killed a doe with it last year using open sights but have been thinking about adding a scope of some type. Please let us know how well it shoots with the 2X and how well you like the no drill mount.

I would also like to know how you like the 10 inch barrel for your contender and why you chose a 357 mag instead of a 44 mag.

I have been thinking about buying a CVA OPTIMA pistol in either a 44 mag or 357 mag but not sure which to get.

Mark wrote a great article on the 44 mag version of the pistol.
Posted By: dhom

Re: Well, I finally got it!!! - 05/12/2015 9:23 AM

Nice!!!! I have the same 6" with the Weigand mount and a Matchdot II. Shoots great with 180 WFN at 1250fps. [through a chrono] I also found out it is a lot easier keeping a scope in place on a .357 mag. [LOL]
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: Well, I finally got it!!! - 05/12/2015 10:52 AM

Sharp looking rig you got there!

Re: Well, I finally got it!!! - 05/12/2015 11:19 AM

Originally Posted By: REDHAWK1954
Please let us know how well it shoots with the 2X and how well you like the no drill mount.

I would also like to know how you like the 10 inch barrel for your contender and why you chose a 357 mag instead of a 44 mag.

I opted for the 2x Burris for a couple reasons. First and foremost was looks. Oddly enough, I had an image in my head what I wanted the rig to look like and that was going to involve a small objective scope with silver finish. Those are generally only offered in 2x. I know looks is somewhat of a shallow reason to build a certain something.........but........it was this way or nothing. Then, when I found the scope on clearance sale......at a stupid price.......it was a done deal. Not a big 2x fan at all. But, it's a 6 inch .357 Mag that'll be utilized under 100 yards............and I wanted that design look.

The Weigand base looks good, makes sound sense as to mounting hardware, and had good reviews. So, I hope it works well.

I opted for the 10 inch .357 Mag barrel for my Contender because I already have a 12 inch "Hunter" barrel in .44 Mag for the gun. Plus, several .44 Mag revolvers. I wanted one in .357 Mag as well. Researching barrel length vs velocity, I decided 10" was a good balance of velocity to portability. Keeping it handy while not trying to make it something it was not. This barrel wears a 4x Weaver.

Re: Well, I finally got it!!! - 05/12/2015 11:19 AM

And thanks for the kind words from the rest.
Posted By: KRal

Re: Well, I finally got it!!! - 05/12/2015 11:53 AM

Congrats, Zee! That thing looks vaguely familiar.

I settled on 180's for hunting, but the 158 xtp shot stupid accurate in mine. Keep us posted.

Re: Well, I finally got it!!! - 05/12/2015 12:05 PM

Originally Posted By: KRal

I settled on 180's for hunting, but the 158 xtp shot stupid accurate in mine. Keep us posted.

Honestly........you and your stinking sheep were the straw that broke the camels back. I couldn't take it anymore.

So.........YOU are to blame.
Posted By: KRal

Re: Well, I finally got it!!! - 05/12/2015 12:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Zee

Honestly........you and your stinking sheep were the straw that broke the camels back. I couldn't take it anymore.

Thanks! I take that as "Good Mentorship".
;\)

Re: Well, I finally got it!!! - 05/12/2015 12:18 PM

As well you should.

;-)
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Well, I finally got it!!! - 05/12/2015 12:47 PM

Looks good, Zee! Almost as good as an X-frame.

;\)

Seriously though, great looking gun. Can't wait to hear how she shoots.

Re: Well, I finally got it!!! - 05/12/2015 12:59 PM

Originally Posted By: TN Lone Wolf
Looks good, Zee! Almost as good as an X-frame.

Kinda sorta, but not quite really, huh?

Posted By: mike.44

Re: Well, I finally got it!!! - 05/12/2015 1:09 PM

You done good pard. Nice rig!
Posted By: Ernie

Re: Well, I finally got it!!! - 05/12/2015 1:43 PM

I find this post to be very comforting....

Originally Posted By: Zee

Posted By: Coogs

Re: Well, I finally got it!!! - 05/13/2015 2:56 PM

That is one nice looking critter, and a Ruger ta boot! Coogs.
Posted By: REDHAWK1954

Re: Well, I finally got it!!! - 05/13/2015 5:26 PM

I keep coming back and looking at your photos. I really like the looks of your setup!

Re: Well, I finally got it!!! - 05/13/2015 5:43 PM

Originally Posted By: REDHAWK1954
I keep coming back and looking at your photos. I really like the looks of your setup!

Doooooooooit!
Posted By: nockhunter

Re: Well, I finally got it!!! - 05/15/2015 1:52 AM

Nice lookin rig. I've always liked the 158g and 180g XTP's in my 586.

Mike
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums