Handgunhunt

30 Herrett beginner

Posted By: DeerDad

30 Herrett beginner - 09/20/2015 1:00 AM

Ok, I bought the reloading equipment and was bitten by the reloading bug. I wasn't just happy with fire forming 7x30 waters. Now the bug has dug deeper. I have a 30 Herrett barrel, dies, and bullets on the way. What tips do you have for forming the herrett from 30-30 brass.

P.S. I shot my first handgun coyote at 137 yards with my 7x30 waters. My furthest handgun shot to date. Can't wait till I cross the 200 yard mark.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: 30 Herrett beginner - 09/20/2015 1:40 AM

Quote:
P.S. I shot my first handgun coyote at 137 yards with my 7x30 waters. My furthest handgun shot to date. Can't wait till I cross the 200 yard mark.

Good show!
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: 30 Herrett beginner - 09/20/2015 2:12 AM

Originally Posted By: DeerDad
Ok, I bought the reloading equipment and was bitten by the reloading bug.

You fool! You've no idea what you've gotten yourself into!
;\)

Posted By: GlennS

Re: 30 Herrett beginner - 09/21/2015 11:23 AM

The little Herrett is pretty fun! I have one in an MOA and it has shown to be exceptionally accurate. Just like the JDJs, make sure you don't oversize the first firing. You want it to headspace off the shoulder NOT the rim. It will cause head separations if the rim is used as it stretches the remaining case to fill the chamber. I have an old article from Bob Milek I think that explains this as well better than I can that I can email you as well as some load data collected from different sources. I have found it to be exceptional and accurate. I have pretty much settled on the Barnes 110 Tac TX in my gun. Kills quickly and is very accurate with no recoil to speak of. My son will love it someday. Shoot me your email and I'll forward those items to you when I'm back at the computer.

Others slugs I've tried and was happy with are the 125 ballistic tip and the 125 Sierra. Both are cheaper than the Barnes but for hunting, I'm going to stick to the Barnes for the time being. I have a lot of all three so when I have time, I may works with the others as the BT has a great reputation in this round and the 30-30 AI.
Posted By: Bullelk Hunter

Re: 30 Herrett beginner - 09/22/2015 11:44 PM

I agree with Glenn. Milek and Herrett wrung it out completely. I still shoot most of the loads they developed. I have a 10" TC Bull and a BFR (Now EAB) single shot and use 125 Sierra and Nosler Balistic tips, but I use 110 Sierra RN for fire forming.
Its very enjoyable and shoots MOA when I do my part. I really think 1.5-2 MOA is more the norm.
Good luck!
Posted By: GlennS

Re: 30 Herrett beginner - 09/23/2015 3:28 AM

BH,
Have you tried any of the Barnes Tac TX bullets. It will easily stay under 1" in my gun and runs about 2400 fps. Devastating performance.

http://singleactions.proboards.com/thread/14139/first-deer-moa-herrett-barnes

That's a quick story on the first deer I tried it on last December. Also a pic of a test slug in water jugs. I have continued to buy the bullets because typically when I decide I like one, they quit making it
\:\)

Also, on forming brass deer dad, Harbor freight used to sell a little cut off saw. Miniature little dude that works great for this. Set it a little long then use trimmer to fine tune after the sizing of course.
Posted By: daywolf

Re: 30 Herrett beginner - 09/26/2015 3:41 PM

Another item you may consider, is annealing. I have a custom 22" bbl that I picked up several years ago, and went thru many recipts to get one that worked well with that bbl. I had a problem with cases splitting on the neck..one or two firings and they'd split.This was after reforming from 30-30 win cases. I did some research on anealing, and besides buying a very expensive machine to do the job, I found a simple way to do this. A baking dish..@ 9" square,place the cases in the dish, standing up, and fill it to about two thirds the height of the cases. Take a bottle torch and heat them as equally as you can, get the neck to the heat that just starts to change the color of the brass, then tip them over into the water. This will soften them just to the point that they will not split. This has worked well for me. The machine that I mentioned was @450.00. Custom made for many calibers. Research on the web results in good information on this subject.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums