Handgunhunt

Contender Question

Posted By: N.E.S.

Contender Question - 10/27/2009 4:10 PM

Hello everyone I dont post here much but I read allot, I have learned allot from you guys
I am thinhing about a 30-30 barrel for my contender I think I'm going with a 14"
My question is do I get it with a break or not?
It will be for deer hunting
I have a 7-30 now that i like allot but the cartrages are hard to find and expensive and i do not reload
Posted By: KRal

Re: Contender Question - 10/27/2009 7:07 PM

It doesn't need one, but it's very sweet with one.
Posted By: Dan B.

Re: Contender Question - 10/27/2009 7:15 PM

Not needed. Recoil will be very close to the Waters.
Posted By: junebug

Re: Contender Question - 10/28/2009 6:32 PM

The brake makes it sweet to shoot but very very very loud .the brake makes it nseeary to wear muffs or plugs always even when hunting.one shot without muffs is more than enough.I have a 10 inch 30-30 and it is fine without a brake,even during range sessions when you shoot a lot of rounds

Re: Contender Question - 10/29/2009 2:46 PM

Originally Posted By: junebug
The brake makes it sweet to shoot but very very very loud .the brake makes it nseeary to wear muffs or plugs always even when hunting.one shot without muffs is more than enough.I have a 10 inch 30-30 and it is fine without a brake,even during range sessions when you shoot a lot of rounds

This is correct. I was assuming everyone uses hearing protection when firing any weapon, target shooting or hunting.
Posted By: nuclearweasel

Re: Contender Question - 10/29/2009 10:55 PM

I just bought a 14" 30-30 Contender Tube about 6 weeks ago. I have tried a variety of factory loads through it and none of them recoil worse than 210 grn Remington soft-points out of a 10" .41 magnum tube. I would say that you will be fine without the break.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Contender Question - 10/30/2009 1:36 AM

Quote:
everyone uses hearing protection.....hunting

I'd say that is not the gospel, tho perhaps it should. If I'm hunting from a high stand where hearing game isn't critical, or have the time to slide muffs over my ears before the shot I use protection and the amount of noise the gun makes isn't an issue. Stand hunting for me is pretty much reserved for AM and PM, the rest of the day I like to walk or we'll organise a drive or two. When you are in the woods you gotta hear what's going on around you. Electronic muffs don't cut it. I have guns with brakes but they don't walk the woods with me.
Posted By: junebug

Re: Contender Question - 10/31/2009 2:18 AM

I to take muffs with me on stand but you cant wear them in every situation.rain will drive you nuts as will wind. sometimes deer will catch you off guard,when you have your muffs pushed back.
When caught in that situation I can still take the shot with my long barreled single shot pistol. But never if it wears a brake,
made that mistake once ,broke me !! Dont know who it hurt the worse,me or the deer.A 45-70 from a 12 inch barrel will sure get your attention!

Re: Contender Question - 10/31/2009 6:49 PM

I try not to shoot anything without protection. My thoughts are; you can get another chance at an animal, but you can never get back hearing lose. JMO

I'm paying now, for what I did as a kid and teenager. If I had used hearing protection back then, I wouldn't be failing hearing test, now.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums