Handgunhunt

bench rest primers

Posted By: mikefrompa

bench rest primers - 11/13/2009 10:15 PM

when loading for the 454 casull, does it make a difference in accuracy if you switch from sm. rifle primers to sm. benchrest rifle primers? if so why is this?
Posted By: larry223

Re: bench rest primers - 11/13/2009 10:17 PM

i would like to know that to i have br primers and dont use
them
larry
Posted By: Ernie

Re: bench rest primers - 11/13/2009 11:45 PM

I have always used Rem 7 1/2's.
Shoot FA an email and ask them if you have questions.
They have always been helpful to me.
E
Posted By: slavage

Re: bench rest primers - 11/14/2009 1:43 AM

hmm i was thinking of usen mag small rifle primers my self
Posted By: H2OBUG

Re: bench rest primers - 11/14/2009 3:11 AM

I have always used SRM in my 454 loads. Just be sure you start from the bottom to middle.

I got very good powder burn with the 2400

Kinda like shootin a light 155
Posted By: TonyinKY

Re: bench rest primers - 11/14/2009 8:19 AM

If your question is "Is there a difference between regular primers and benchrest primers as far as accuracy is concerned?" the answer is "NO". I've shot benchrest rifles for years where 100 and 200 yard shots are measured to thousands of an inch. I think I can safely say that the majority of benchrest shooters (if there were ever a majority in benchrest) shoot benchrest primers for quality and not accuracy. I order custom benchrest bullets by the thousands and can think of only 1 primer that failed to fire. I hope this helps.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: bench rest primers - 11/14/2009 7:43 PM

From the start I`ve used Remingtons 7 1/2 BR primers when handloading my 454. They were listed by Freedom Arms in their data and never had problems. I was lucky to buy a box of 5000 before the primer market died out.
Posted By: mikefrompa

Re: bench rest primers - 11/14/2009 10:34 PM

Thanks guys. I just wanted to hear some opinions on the subject. About the only primers that I have been able to get my hands on are CCI. I have always started from the bottom and usually go up to about a half a grain under the maximum & never have experienced any problems. Most of my loading data calls for Federal primers. Thanks again guys.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums